Gibson Brands Forums

Split Diamond Logo

Alethia

Hey guys,

I have a quick question pertaining to the gibson customs. I was wondering if there was any inspiration or meaning behind the split diamond logo displayed on the headstock of the all the gibson customs. Its a timeless and eye-catching design and was wondering how it came about.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I have a quick question pertaining to the gibson customs. I was wondering if there was any inspiration or meaning behind the split diamond logo displayed on the headstock of the all the gibson customs. Its a timeless and eye-catching design and was wondering how it came about.

Hmm actually that is a really good question! I would love to know.

• 2 weeks later...

The split diamond headstock inlay first appeared on Gibson's Super 400 model in the mid 1930's. At the time it was Gibson's most expensive guitar and therefore dolled up with lots of pearl bling. Even the back of the headstock had a smaller split diamond inlay.

• 8 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Andy56 said:

I think there were Les Paul editions without the split diamond, but with the crown used at the SG or at the ES guitars.

Am I wrong??

BR

Andy

You are not. People remember a LP Custom is a model that is made it the custom shop and is the next step up from a Standard. Its not the kind of custom (like the made to measure program) that lets you ordered one from Gibson through a dealer with specs you wanted and now it a one off Custom LP.

neoMLDq.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 01GT eibach said:

Before there was a Custom Shop, I always thought of a "Custom" as being only a model, a model that was above a "Standard" and which included (at a minimum) gold hardware, 3-ply binding  including the headstock, and the split diamond.

Binding on the back too.