Gibson Brands Forums

I call him....

heretic

...The Daniel Lanois Tribute. Dulled, Klusoned, Switchcrafted, CTSed, PIO capped, cloth wired, shielded, GFS roller bridged, Bigsby B7ed, Vibramate mounted, real vintage correct Gibby speedknobs, pointers, pickguard, cavity covers.

Thanks to BrianH for the encouragement, and a "purist" who doesn't like beveled pickguards.

Now, all I need is talent.

Enjoy!

_heretic

Heretic,

Very good job indeed!

Congrats on a job well done.

How about an explanation of how you dulled the finish. I've seen the link in the DIY to M.L.P.

Which method did you use? Seems to have come out quite well for you.

Willy

Thanks, Willy and Mud. I used the method from the DIY Lounge. Hand orbital sander with 3M-type scratch pads, then hand rubbed with "clear coat" car polish. Took about 20 minutes. Made the neck really, really slick as others have described. It just "feels" right. I have an American Standard Strat with a satin finished neck, and this feels faster. Comfy, like a worn out t-shirt.

Gotta LOVE this forum.

Grats on the mods, now you've got the bug you'll find it hard to stop, great job H.

OMG!!!

RaSTuS, I clicked your link. You're the FIRST person I have ever seen with a 1971 Les Paul Recording. I bought mine when I was overseas doing gov't work in 1973. Heaviest git in the world. Never liked it, actually, so I traded it and some cash for a import guitar (which I still have) ...a 1978 Ibanez Randy Scruggs Professional. Yeah...the one with the Vines and the Cloud.

No regrets.

_heretic

OMG!!!

RaSTuS, I clicked your link. You're the FIRST person I have ever seen with a 1971 Les Paul Recording. I bought mine when I was overseas doing gov't work in 1973. Heaviest git in the world. Never liked it, actually, so I traded it and some cash for a import guitar (which I still have) ...a 1978 Ibanez Randy Scruggs Professional. Yeah...the one with the Vines and the Cloud.

No regrets.

_heretic

Mine has sentimental value of sorts, it was Les' favourite model and I scored mine right about the time of his passing, it's the last Gibby I'd sell, but your right, they do weigh a ton, luckily %99.9 of my playing is sitting down, LOL.

Archived