Gibson Brands Forums

Wires inside f hole

MLD88

I recently bought a Sheraton and noticed the wiring Inside is quite visible.

Is this normal? Or should the wiring be hidden in some sort of way?

It doesn't bother me cos I love the guitar but I'm just curious!!

Hi & welcome, yes, that can be normal, they aren't usually completely neat. If it's very messy though, if you run your little finger around the inside of the f-hole you might feel a little bracket made of bent metal which is designed to hold some of the wiring back out of view. See if this is holding anything.

If you can't feel one It's probably not there. I would imagine they differ between factories. I can't remember exactly where it is on mine, sorry I can't get to the git right now, It's upstairs and I don't want to disturb my slightly ill toddler.

Can you post a pic?

If you can't feel one It's probably not there. I would imagine they differ between factories. I can't remember exactly where it is on mine, sorry I can't get to the git right now, It's upstairs and I don't want to disturb my slightly ill toddler.

Can you post a pic?

Ok no worries mate.

I'll post a pic tomorrow as about to hit the sack.

Cheers

Here is a pic of inside the f hole

IMG_0158.jpg

Personally, I don't think it looks that bad.

If it were mine, I would probably leave it alone unless it (they) were rattling or just bothered me. If that was the case I would do something about it.

Keep in mind I'm the kind that will disassemble and reassemble a guitar if something about it annoys me.

Willy

Based on the color, it looks to be a late 80's or

90's? Unless it's the lighting...

Perhaps it's been rewired or they came loose.

My 2006 MIK is flawless with no wires visible.

It doesn't bother me at all, I was just curious as it's my first semi acoustic.

I've got a feeling it's been rewired at some stage of it's life, which doesn't bother me as the electrics are excellent and the guitar plays like a dream.

The guitar is '96 korean sheraton in tobacco... I'll get some pics posted later!

Cheers guys

I'm thinking of tidying the wiring up inside and trying to disguise it a bit, but not sure how I'd go about doing this. Has anyone ever had to do this before? If so, how would I do it?

Would I need to take the pots out etc in order to do this, or is there a easier way?

Cheers

I'm thinking of tidying the wiring up inside and trying to disguise it a bit, but not sure how I'd go about doing this. Has anyone ever had to do this before? If so, how would I do it?

Would I need to take the pots out etc in order to do this, or is there a easier way?

Cheers

Just try tucking the wires out of the way with your pinky through the f-hole, just take it easy, you don't want to break any wires off their connections, in the past I've also used a long plastic stick (the handle of a back scratcher) to coax the wires I couldn't reach with my pinky into position.

I've noticed that the contacts for the pot for the tone control for the bridge pickup are visible. Is there any way I could turn the pot around so the wires are inside the guitar more, if that makes sense?

Cheers

I've noticed that the contacts for the pot for the tone control for the bridge pickup are visible. Is there any way I could turn the pot around so the wires are inside the guitar more, if that makes sense?

I noticed that too from your pics, the tone pot for the bridge seems to be the culprit, but I was trying to keep it simple as possible. You can take off the knobs and undo the nut that holds the pot in pot in position half a turn or so, don't take the nut off or the pot could fall inside, just enough so you can rotate the pot enough to turn the contacts away from the f-hole, then re-tighten the nut and replace the knobs. As I mentioned before, take it easy, you don't want any of the wires to break off.

EDIT: try and rotate it so the wires seem to follow a natural path, if that makes sense.

I noticed that too from your pics, the tone pot for the bridge seems to be the culprit, but I was trying to keep it simple as possible. You can take off the knobs and undo the nut that holds the pot in pot in position half a turn or so, don't take the nut off or the pot could fall inside, just enough so you can rotate the pot enough to turn the contacts away from the f-hole, then re-tighten the nut and replace the knobs. As I mentioned before, take it easy, you don't want any of the wires to break off.

EDIT: try and rotate it so the wires seem to follow a natural path, if that makes sense.

Yeah that makes sense. Thanks mate for the help, think I'll give it a go later and hopefully it should be a bit neater inside there.

Cheers

Archived