Gibson Brands Forums

My next Gibson

brannon67

Due to a very recent experience where my mind was set on buying a CJ165ce (and a sunburst beauty was right there in my hands to play)---I'd suggest that you play other Gibbys beyond the two on your list....Life is full of surprises. Choose wisely, Grasshopper. [thumbup]

Definitely try a few slope shouldered dreds like J-45, AJ. Square shoulders like Hummingbird. Jumbos like 200, 185, 165. Small bodies, esp L-00 size, which are really fun, comfortable and surprisingly full-sounding (once you dig in a bit and grok the slight differences in touch needed to bring out the sound). When you are learning a tune sitting in a chair in front of a pc, or noodling on the couch, the small guys are great.

Without question I would go for the AJ. The j160 is my least favorite Gibson accoustic. I owned a "68" j160 for many years. In my opinion it is neither a good acoustic nor a good electric. Mine did sound acoustically better than the couple new ones I have played. The over latter bracing and laminated top are tone killers. The P90 pickup with flat wound strings make for a good jazz guitar. Personally I would go for a j45., unless you already have one, or something simular.

chasAK

... The over latter bracing and laminated top are tone killers. The P90 pickup ...

I believe the "Standard" in "J-160E Standard" implies X-braced solid top and a P-100.

--Bob R

Archived