Gibson Brands Forums

Can a CD be an album?

TommyK

I didn't realize the aim was to string everything out for as long as possible. Sorry!

I must try never to make a ouright statement or impart fact simply because it may be of interest to people discussing a related subject. Instead, I'll argue about subjective matters of opinion such as which opperating system, death metal band, genre of music, colour of blues artist or fuzz pedal is best.

I do apologize. Please carry on, I'll just be over here avoiding factual information.

[tongue]

whoa there nelly.

steve bumped a 3 year old thread. chill

Guest farnsbarns

Ah, well, erm, hmm, well, now I feel stupid. I hadn't realized Steve was playing silly buggers and so I thought you were refering to my post. I'm sorry.

It was a tounge in cheek response as evidenced by the :P

Ah, well, erm, hmm, well, now I feel stupid. I hadn't realized Steve was playing silly buggers and so I thought you were refering to my post. I'm sorry.

It was a tounge in cheek response as evidenced by the :P

i never play "silly buggers" [biggrin]

how is opening an old thread wrong? we have new members here... [rolleyes]

Strictly speaking, an album is more than 4 songs. 4 or less is considered a single or a promo by the industry. A cd album is as much a record as any vinyl. It's a recording. The etymology speaks for it's self, it's a record of sound created some time in the past.

Maybe it's the length of time. Old 78s only had a few minutes per side. LPs about 45 min total for both sides. CDs 72 mins I think. An album can have just one symphony so the number of songs is not a totally accurate measure. An album can also contain photographs. Or coins.

Guest farnsbarns

Maybe it's the length of time. Old 78s only had a few minutes per side. LPs about 45 min total for both sides. CDs 72 mins I think. An album can have just one symphony so the number of songs is not a totally accurate measure. An album can also contain photographs. Or coins.

Well, the Mrs is home now and she tells me that's changed and the societies now call anything over 3 tracks an album, but, and this is where you're correct, a track more than 5 minutes long is considered a composition which puts it in a different category again. This all only makes a difference to rates. I.e it's a legal thing. I suppose if an artist says it's an album then it is to you and me.

Well, the Mrs is home now and she tells me that's changed and the societies now call anything over 3 tracks an album, but, and this is where you're correct, a track more than 5 minutes long is considered a composition which puts it in a different category again. This all only makes a difference to rates. I.e it's a legal thing. I suppose if an artist says it's an album then it is to you and me.

whoa! so i'm a composer then?

time to bust out the tux with tails and powdered wig and go pick up the ladies [thumbup]

Archived