Gibson Brands Forums

fretboard materials

chris.

i noticed a while back martin started to use a artificial material for their neck Richlite its basically paper and glue wikiwhy could this be bad/good? i know its not wood so it wont age but do fingerboards change in tone as they age? also it wont shrink or expand like wood can could this cause cracks or an edge on the side of the neck? and they are very dense which could be a positive that is what makes ebony sound better than rosewood what do you guys think?

Your link isn't working Cris.........Ebony, rosewood, and maple fretboards all have their own characteristics.......

There are also MANY grades of these woods as well........................

Your link isn't working Cris.........Ebony, rosewood, and maple fretboards all have their own caracteristics.......

There are also MANY grades of these woods as well........................

i fixed the link there was an extra space in it but it works now sorry bout that. but like can a none wood fretboard sound good?

but like is it strucually sound? and what would it do soundwise on a guitar? are their negatives to not using real wood? and are their anypositives you can think of by not using real wood?

but like is it strucually sound? and what would it do soundwise on a guitar? are their negatives to not using real wood? and are their anypositives you can think of by not using real wood?

Well composite materials like this usually won't twist... There is much less waste. Don't have to worry about knots and splits etc... Tone wise... Who knows?

Well composite materials like this usually won't twist... There is much less waste. Don't have to worry about knots and splits etc... Tone wise... Who knows?

Cris, look up Rainsong guitars ( acoustic ), and Flaxwood Guitars ( electric ).........

Both these companies know what they are doing, and I'd buy both brands..........

Parker has made interesting guitars for some time now..Look them up as well.......

Martin is also using (for some models) laminated wood necks.......................

Wood suitable for guitars is becoming more and more difficult to find at a price

point sellable to the consumer......Paper composites will have a stigma due to

being made in part of paper...........It would make me think twice...............

Oh, look up Danelectro as well...They've been doing non wood guitars since

before you were born..................................................................................

Interesting... I really don't like that they use formaldehyde to produce it even if they claim that it's "inert" by mixing it with another compound. Oh well I guess it's used in circuit boards and other applications, still seems rather odd to me.

Archived