Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Skylark GA-5T.... Finding out the age.

vexorgtr

I acquired a Gibson Skylark GA-5T Amp.. and with a little tinkering, have it fully functional. It is unmodified with an original speaker, and likely original tubes (RCA and Ratheon). Mine looks like the one in this picture, except all 3 of mine's knobs are the red arrow type... in the pic I'm posting, the on-off knob isn't the red arrow kind.

It's sounding pretty good. I cleaned the pots, and cleaned off the dirt. I also have the original directions, and schematic printed on the back.

SN is 750755 if that helps. It's the only number I see stamped on the front by the input jacks.

gibson_skylark.jpg

Can anyone help me out with this critter? I don't think it's SUPER valuable... but I'd like to have an idea. I traded for it... Can we find the year with that serial?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you Craig. Is that based on the cosmetic appearance? or the Serial number?

I need to put a 3 prong plug on it for safety... and to reduce noise. Other than that, it functions very well. I like the sound too. It's a very cheery sounding amp.. Takes 3/4 of the volume knob before it breaks up, and is fairly loud for the small stature.

I agree, it's a bit to the bright side... I roll the done knobs back 25% when I play it. Today I finished up the surgery on it... After two minor zaps, I decided it needed a 3 prong plug. My other retro amp got the same treatment when it zapped me twice...

Zap me once... shame on you

Zap me twice, you're getting grounded.

I'm going to shelve the original power cord, just like I did for the other retro amp.. just in case anyone really wants it. That original cord was LONG, and really thin. It looked a little thinner than lamp cord... EEK. I put a thicker 3 prong on it... and it's back to life, with no more shocks and less noise. There's still the hummmmm when it's on, but it's not that bad, and I get a little bit of that from all retro amps and radios I own..

I agree, it's a bit to the bright side... I roll the done knobs back 25% when I play it. Today I finished up the surgery on it... After two minor zaps, I decided it needed a 3 prong plug. My other retro amp got the same treatment when it zapped me twice...

Zap me once... shame on you

Zap me twice, you're getting grounded.

I'm going to shelve the original power cord, just like I did for the other retro amp.. just in case anyone really wants it. That original cord was LONG, and really thin. It looked a little thinner than lamp cord... EEK. I put a thicker 3 prong on it... and it's back to life, with no more shocks and less noise. There's still the hummmmm when it's on, but it's not that bad, and I get a little bit of that from all retro amps and radios I own..

Here is my actual amp pictures. The only non-originals on it are the power cord, and one screw in the back... the rest is still OEM... Tubes are Ratyheon for the Power and Rectifier, and the Preamp/Trem tubes are RCA. Likely original. The speaker is the "Gibson Model"... I havn't seen any pics of the brown tolex ones that didn't appear bastardized or modified... I'm thinking this was a way cool find. It's a way cool little amp.

post-11665-041183700 1311743011_thumb.jpg

post-11665-072232700 1311743044_thumb.jpg

Almost sure yours is a 63 there are date codes on the transformers, pots, and speakers.

All the knobs should match . So the pwr knob has been replaced.

I have a 63 GA 8T Pots,transfomers, all dated last 3 weeks in december 62. IT is in new unused condition.

I just bought a 64 GA 19RVT much more beat up. It is in getting fixed up now can't wait to get it back.

I saw a photo of another with readable date codes on the output transformer... Mine looks like a random code... so does the power transformer one. On my actual photos, all 3 knobs DO match. the borrowed photo is the one they don't. My amp is well used... with the writing on the face plate worn thin from hands on the knobs... but the guts are still OEM... and after a 3 prong power cord, it's ready to sing. I have never really been excited about a little amp before... this one for some reason has some magic mojo about it.

Every time I try and look these up, they are someone's "project" and the speaker has been changed or missing, this that and this need replaced.. I was enthused that after reseating the tubes, they all lit up, and all functions worked....

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks... I had a regional gent service it... it had some ugly hummmmm and liked to zap you. The signal path is still all original, but a few power caps needed replaced. It's fully healthy now.

What a BRIGHT amp... now I know why guitars have tone knobs. You NEED that tone knob... and it sounds about right rolled half way. The amp likes my Gibson guitars best.. but I wouldn't have expected anything else.

I'm getting it a new friend... more on that soon.

Archived