Gibson Brands Forums

epi special II

regaal

i know this guitar is nothing great but being that im poor and it was free i thought hey why not..

so i was given two SD pickups. a 59 and a jb i plan on putting in, as well as upgrading the tuners and nut.

i was thinking of adding a pick guard but im not sure if i want to put the traditional lp type on it... since its not an arch top.

so the question is, what would some good options be? i was thinking maybe the sg style or something but i dunno.

just wondering what others think.

i know this guitar is nothing great but being that im poor and it was free i thought hey why not..

so i was given two SD pickups. a 59 and a jb i plan on putting in, as well as upgrading the tuners and nut.

i was thinking of adding a pick guard but im not sure if i want to put the traditional lp type on it... since its not an arch top.

so the question is, what would some good options be? i was thinking maybe the sg style or something but i dunno.

just wondering what others think.

hey i still have my first epip special 2 it has the gotic cross on the head stock and i still love to play the thing... i like playing it because i dont have to worry about dinging it or scratches i just grab and play... I bought it at a pawn shop and as soon as i picked it up i knowed it was mine.. for it and a little amp i think i gave $135.00 for it.. The one thing i like most is it ant neck heavey like my G-400 is..[cool]

Bwoooaar, go Strat style like this build I was planning a ways back:

blackie.png

That is cool looking guitar.. I wanted to get a checker plate aluminum from tractor supply and do something like that to the one i have but just never had the time to do so.

Regaal,

Just a couple of thoughts.

This is how I did my grandson's Special II:

LPSpecial.jpg

We got a Gibson style pickguard from somewhere. (It's been a while...probably Stewmac)

The pickup spacing is different. We'll get to that in a minute.

He did want a bracket like his Grandpa's L.P. Standard.

We made a tracing of the p.g. onto a piece of construction paper. With a pencil, we marked the correct spacing for the pickups. We then trimmed the "template" for the correct pickup spacing.

At the same time we marked where the knob was on the construction paper template.

We traced the bottom curve of the p.g. onto the template so that it was slightly away from the knob location.

Once the template was the size and shape we wanted, we traced it onto the back of the pickguard using a scratch awl.

We trimmed it close with a dremel and finished the edges with a file and some sandpaper.

Some do like to mount flat on the body and drill a hole in the pick guard for the knob.

I've seen others simply cut a small part of the guard out to accommodate the knob.

Fact is, if you start with some construction paper it is easy to get an idea of what you want!

(even if it turns out to be a one of a kind)

Willy

i like the strat idea. just not sure i have the stuff to mod the pick guard since im thinking i would have to get a blank and make it from scratch.

unless the single humbucker strat pick guard would fit after adding the neck humbucker. but even then there would be a hole in it.

Pickguard, you say? EPI LP Special II? (or SG?)

From the Epi lounge Do-it-Yourself thread:

"Make a Pickguard for Epiphone LP Special II Guitar"

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/54689-pickguard-for-epiphone-special-ii/page__p__730606__hl__spwcial+pickguard__fromsearch__1#entry730606

i have a special II but i was thinking of not going the standard lp style guard. maybe an SG style.

Regaal,

Just a couple of thoughts.

This is how I did my grandson's Special II:

LPSpecial.jpg

Awesome looking Special II, Willy! Your grandson is lucky to have an awesome grandfather like you! msp_thumbup.gif

Awesome looking Special II, Willy! Your grandson is lucky to have an awesome grandfather like you!

Thanks Heilly!

We pretty much took the guitar apart and put it back together. The ability came from practice and an accumulation of basic tools.

Now here's the good part!

The knowledge came from this forum. Almost every thing I have learned about tech work has come about over the last couple years from right here. From Noob 'til now...

(What I learned elsewhere was from links I was given by other members here.)

I see in your profile you have a couple nice guitars yourself.

Just to get back on track.....

Regaal,

I hope you get your template.

If Sjael misses your request (we sometimes do) you might want to P.M. him.

He's a great guy and I would bet he will let you know if he has one.

Strum on,

Willy

by any chance do you have a templet for this?

Unfortunately no, since I never actually built the guitar. On the up-side, most of it follows the natural curves of the LP's body (and just made up the ones that don't by looking at a strat pickguard) so it shouldn't be too hard to make one from scratch. I would draw you one myself off my LP Junior, but I don't have a scanner or any particular way to digitize it. #-o

You'll grow to like the Special II. I got mad when I special ordered a Blue Special II with the maple veneer top and got this purple thing! I said who orders anything purple and waits a week for it? The people in this forum said not to worry and now it is a favorite. I made both types of pickguards (one as per animalfarm's tutorial and one like Whitmore Willy's Grandson's SP II. I liked both but the flat one got ruined with some bad paint that reacted with it. Yes, I know ..not color-co-ordinated. And yes...that's racing tape (not binding...)DSC01205.jpg

Blue Epi - Actually, the PG looks good! Definitely. With your Knob color,

toggle switch ring, and "Racing Stripe/Binding" it looks like Cream is going

to be the predominant color for your git. Just get a cream toggle switch tip,

maybe cream pup rings.... The PG looks like it belongs on there.

my special II is black and i will be putting in some SD's with aged nickel covers. plan on over time replacing all the hardware for nickel. anyone know if "grover mini roto style tuners" are any good? the standard lp style PG is growing on me. and i can always switch it up later on. since the guitar is pretty beat up already (quite a few chips in the paint and some horrid buckle rash on the back) im not worried about a couple holes.

any suggestions on nob color?

plan on over time replacing all the hardware for nickel. anyone know if "grover mini roto style tuners" are any good?

I really don't know. I've never heard anyone complain about Grovers. Some change them out as a matter of style.

As to using the mini tuners... I believe I have heard others say they have used them on Specials. I really don't remember.

You would probably have to check the specs...Here's a good link:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Grover_Tuners.html

On my grandson's we just went right to the full size: His headstock is 9/16" wide.

I'm guessing your's is, too:

specialheadstockfront.jpg...specialheadstockback.jpg

Had to remove the bushings and open the holes from 8mm to 10mm.

Filled the old screw holes with a black crayola.

I do understand there are some 8mm replacements out there. I think Brianh might know what they are.

And don't give up on that Fender style pickguard if that is what you really want.

Construction paper really works. For about one buck you can buy a piece big enough for you to trace your guitar.

Do a free hand and cut it out as a template. I bet by the time you have made the third one it will be perfect!

Willy

oh im not giving up on the fender style. im just not limiting myself quite yet. and the lp style is growing on me. i will think about it for a while before doing it.

as for the tuners, i would like to find some that i dont need to make the holes bigger. but if i need to i will.

You'll grow to like the Special II. I got mad when I special ordered a Blue Special II with the maple veneer top and got this purple thing! I said who orders anything purple and waits a week for it? The people in this forum said not to worry and now it is a favorite. I made both types of pickguards (one as per animalfarm's tutorial and one like Whitmore Willy's Grandson's SP II. I liked both but the flat one got ruined with some bad paint that reacted with it. Yes, I know ..not color-co-ordinated. And yes...that's racing tape (not binding...)DSC01205.jpg

that racing tape is pretty awesome. i think im going to attempt that and with that i think the lp guard looks good. where could i find some of that racing tape?

that racing tape is pretty awesome. i think im going to attempt that and with that i think the lp guard looks good. where could i find some of that racing tape?

It's pinstriping tape and can be found in almost any car (auto) accessory joint.

as for the tuners, i would like to find some that i dont need to make the holes bigger. but if i need to i will.

Unless I'm mistaken, I'm pretty sure that the Standard and Mini Rotomatics have the same bushing size, just the Mini version has a smaller casing and button so that they fit on a 6-in-line headstock.

Archived