Gibson Brands Forums

NPD

dbreslauer

I just finished my latest build, the General Guitar Gadgets layout of the EA Tremolo. this is one FUN pedal, and was very easy to make.

ironed on press n peel. these traces are small, so i will touch up the questionable ones with a fine tip sharpie:

1-presspeel.jpg

the sharpie let me make pads bigger, and makes sure traces are solid

2-presspeel.jpg

cordless dremel and very small drill bit to make the holes for the components

3-drilling.jpg

wiring in progress:

4-inside.jpg

all wired up. you can see one small correction i had to make: i accidentally mounted a transistor backwards, and had to remove and flip it.

5-wiringdone.jpg

test fitting of the controls and jacks

6-outside.jpg

painted with gold hammered paint, labeled with a sharpie, then coated in poly:

7-labelling.jpg

I'll make some sound clips later on today.

enjoy!

Don

Really clean build, how many have you made so far?

Nice work btw!

thanks!

this was my 9th build this year. The most challenging one was the echo base delay, mostly due to the component count.

i think i like making them as much as, if not more than using them. i just have to get better at painting! :)

thanks!

this was my 9th build this year. The most challenging one was the echo base delay, mostly due to the component count.

i think i like making them as much as, if not more than using them. i just have to get better at painting! :)

Cover them with something like tweed...or pink zebra Dem00n signature.

thanks!

Yeah i feel the same, i like building them more than using them. [lol]

Do you have a background in this kinda stuff? Engineering?

Yeah i feel the same, i like building them more than using them. [lol]

Do you have a background in this kinda stuff? Engineering?

nope, i'm a software guy by trade. proof that anyone can learn this stuff! :)

it's funny, when i built my first amp, a tweed princeton, i was initially terrified to even turn it on. lol

Nice work man! So what is the EA Tremolo based on?

Also, those knobs are cool. They're like those classic davies knobs but without the skirts. I've never seen those before.

I'm working on two builds right now waiting on some parts. They're my first builds so wish me luck haha

Nice work man! So what is the EA Tremolo based on?

this is from the General Guitar Gadgets website:

This project originated from an article by Anthony Leo in the November 1968 issue of the Electronic Australia Magazine. This wonderful sounding tremolo was brought to the attention of the DIY community on the internet by Greg Nabke. Lots of builders like this one, it's simple and it sounds great. This project features some great improvements over the original. A schematic of the original design is included in case you are curious.

here's the link to the project. it was fun and not hard to build.

General Guitar Gadgets - EA Tremolo

while i sourced my own parts and made my own board, they sell this as a kit, or just the board. it looks pretty good! the information, especially their layout PDFs, are top notch. :)

good luck with your builds! have fun!

Don

Archived