Gibson Brands Forums

The serach for the ideal amp continues - I really need some advice guys

Wolff

Flight' date=' yup, that's the issue, the KranK at 20 watts is too loud for home use so I'll have to hope a hotplate works well or else have a lot of pissed-off neighbors. After seeing that KranK amp demo I gotta have me all that insane gain.

BTW, you have an LP Goddess, eh? I had one in ebony that I set up similar to my ebony LP Standard except I had EMG HZs in there. I eventually traded in in towards my Standard a few months ago. [/quote']

Yep I have a LP Goddess in Rose Burst....Awsome little guitar. The Tiny Terror has a switch which makes it useable between 7 Watts and 15 Watts....Still could not find a happy medium....They do the Tiny Terror in a combo now have you seen it?

Flight959

Yeah, I'm familiar with all the Orange products. I'm determined to get a seperate head and cab anyway so I can get a second head if the need/desire arises someday I had a Rocker 30 at one time with the 2x12. I've come to the conclusion that unless my amp has a reserve of super-hi gain, I'm not going to be happy. The Orange doesn't really fit that bill although I know they are fantastic amps.

A variac is kind of like a dimmer switch.

I dont know the technical ins and outs, but basically using a dial you can up the wattage while keeping the volume down. That may be the wrong terms to use, and im sure theres guys here who will correct me.

Eddie Van Halen used one in the early years.

btw....

Yes, Orange amps arent really designed for ultra high gain. They are more for a classic rock retro 60's/70's type

of sound.

I decided to go with the KranK Revolution Jr. Pro with 1x12 cab. The head is on backorder but the cab is supposed to arrive at my house on Friday. MF says the head is due in this week but I highly doubt that. I wasn't able to try it out because the Gtr. Ctr. near me doesn't have any in stock. I'm pretty certain it's about the best I can do given what I am looking for. No question there will be plenty gain of course. Having the option of the 'kleen' channel is really nice too and according to some of the demos I saw it goes up to a nice crunch sound. The hi-gain channel has its own boost, but I think I'll go for one of those Fulltones for the clean channel. Who knows, maybe I'll get one of those bluesdrivers or even one of those Fender emulators(those probably stink, huh?).

Now of course the big drawback is the volume and I'm taking a gamble on one of those THD hotplates although they are kind of pricey and that won't be for a couple months. I really appreciate you pointing out that device to me deepblue and I hope you don't mind if I PM you with some questions. All you guys were a big help, thanks. That overdrive you have there ChanMan looks quite nice although very expensive.

....and of course that Egnater amp is incredibly tempting with all those features....may have to get that head too someday.

Really? The Egnator looks so cool and the hot plate cost nearly as much as the KranK.

So the Egnater is ~ $600

the KranK + Hot Plate will be ~ $880

In the end tho it's your dough so get what you decide is the best way for you to go.

I guess you did :-)

Really? The Egnator looks so cool and the hot plate cost nearly as much as the KranK.

So the Egnater is ~ $600

the KranK + Hot Plate will be ~ $880

In the end tho it's your dough so get what you decide is the best way for you to go.

I guess you did :-)

Well, price wasn't the main consideration. I agree that Egnater looks awesome but I just know if I got it, set it up and plugged it in, turned up the gain- I'd probably be pissed that I have to still resort to to using a distortion box to play metal. I'm determined to use the amps natural distortion. Also, the KranK has 2 channels while the Egnater has only 1. Put it this way, I want both heads and and I'm going to start with the KranK for now. The cab too is really nice with an Eminence speaker. Cosmetically, I much prefer how the KranK looks of course.

Well, I like VOX. The amp I have now is the AD30VT-XL which is meant for hi gain and I actually like it, but you know how it is, an all-tube amp is a must. Those AC30s are beauties of course but if you read my initial post I don't think it's really suitable for what I'm looking for.

Well' date=' I like VOX. The amp I have now is the AD30VT-XL which is meant for hi gain and I actually like but you know how it is, an all-tube amp is a must. Those AC30s are beauties of course but if you read my initial post I don't think it's really suitable for what I'm looking for. [/quote']

I know man... it's just that I'm so in love with mine... and I play metal with it... (hard rock, rock, some jazz, some blues, even "salsa") it just delivers everytime. Of course for metal I use a dist pedal in front, but the same pedals used in other amps didnt give me the same results.

Don't confuse me! I already have my mind made up, the amp ordered and even my sig made. J/K Bro, I know you are trying to help.

I am really determined to use the amps natural distortion for metal. I'm not against pedals at all, but my theory is you should be getting your main sound out of the $600.00 amp head instead of the $100.00 pedal. Now what about volume on your VOX - can you do house volume on that and still have it sound great?

566940.jpg

I've got a Traynor YCS50 that I think sounds pretty good at bedroom levels. It is switchable between 50W Class A/B and 15W Class A. Uses a 12" Celestion Vintage30. All kinds of flexibility. I haven't heard a guitar that sounds bad in it yet. The tubes are auto biased and you can switch from 5881 to EL34 tubes. Its worth looking into.

I've got a Traynor YCS50 that I think sounds pretty good at bedroom levels. It is switchable between 50W Class A/B and 15W Class A. Uses a 12" Celestion Vintage30. All kinds of flexibility. I haven't heard a guitar that sounds bad in it yet. The tubes are auto biased and you can switch from 5881 to EL34 tubes. Its worth looking into.

OOOOHHHH... I have played a Traynor before... nice amps!! Now I gotta go find one and play it!!

Hey! I got one of those Krank Rev Jr things in the studio somewhere... doesnt get sed much but it sounds very good! Heavy rockers that come here dont like it much because they like amps BIG so most of them use the piece of sh-t peavey solid state head... go figure.

It is indeed a great amp, specially for the price.

This is the second version that has EQ control on the clean channel which is nice. Well, the cab is definitely arriving tomorrow but it looks like at least another 2 weeks for the head. It's gonna drive me (more)insane.

I just got an Epiphone Blues Custom 30. All tube, 2 twelves, built like a tank, great vintage styling, switchable between 30 & 15 Watts, wonderful tone. This amp has received pretty much exclusively rave reviews in mags and all across the net. It's a steal at its $549 street price. Check it out. There's a head/cabinet combo version called the SoCal 50.

I live in an apartment and use the Custom 30 through a Weber Mass 50 attenuator, which can even be used to drive headphones.

I just got some very encouraging info about the KranK amp, check this out:

I think you are gonna be surprised at how versatile the amp is, I think it's crazy that

the Rev Series (including the Jr's) got pegged as a metal amp.

They do so much more, you can get tones for almost any type music.

From 60's and 70's guitar rock tones, country, jazz, 80's rock, I can get

all of these out of my Rev's, and of course all of the sounds that everyone knows Krank for.

One of the first Rev Series 1 combo's was owned/used by Ray Charles' guitarist for

his touring rig.

Patrick

Krank Amplification

...and yes I realize he is an employee of the company.

Archived