Gibson Brands Forums

Epi SG, have you ever seen something like this?

fraspax

"Epi" was a sub-Epiphone brand that they sold for a while with a lot of them going to non-traditional instrument sales channels.

I think the "Maestro" brand has more or less become the replacement in that respect. Although most of the current "Maestro" instruments appear to me to be a little nicer than the Epi models were. Strangely, the Maestros get open book headstocks...

It is legit

mid 90s

there have been strat-stye models, too

Are you sure? The TRC looks wrong to me...

epiphone_thumbnail.jpg

And I've only ever seen the "Epi" logo on the strats...

EDIT: Or, what EpiEric said...

That only shows strats...which is part of the reason I question this guitar...I've seen the "Epi" branded strats, but I haven't EVER seen anything other than strats, and fender style basses branded "Epi" before today, now I see this white "Epi" brand on acoustics the wiki, but, I've never seen an "Epi" SG before today, and after a few google searches, this is still the only one I've seen...

I find this strange as well. Of all the research and poking around I've done, I have never come across or read about anything other than S-type and acoustic Epi models. I suppose it could have been something produced for a market in a different country, like the Invader, which is basically an LP Junior that says "Invader" on the headstock.

The TRC is strange looking, but not enough to determine its authenticity in this case.

By the looks of the neck joint area and the cracks along the sides, it seems to be a set-neck, but its hard to tell. If it is a set-neck, it makes it even weirder. The Epis were all bolt-neck models (except for the acoustics) made on the cheap. If this is a set-neck, I would have to call it a fake.

At one point I ran across a Maestro SG with an E-series Bully neck atached to it. It took me a while to figure that one out. I tought it was a model that I had overlooed somewhere.

Also, the Maestro guitars are more akin to the Juniors and around the same level and pricing. The major differences between the two are the logos, headstock and neck materials. Not sure about the body material, but I assume they are laminate.

"Epi" was a sub-Epiphone brand that they sold for a while with a lot of them going to non-traditional instrument sales channels.

I think the "Maestro" brand has more or less become the replacement in that respect. Although most of the current "Maestro" instruments appear to me to be a little nicer than the Epi models were. Strangely, the Maestros get open book headstocks...

That's correct. The "Epi" models were Epiphone's entry-level student models from the 70's and were considered the most poorly constructed line of guitars they ever made.

However, I can't find any reference to an "Epi" SG in my price lists. As RTH says, it may be an orphan designed for a foreign market, or just a short-lived production run that didn't make it into the published lists.

That's correct. The "Epi" models were Epiphone's entry-level student models from the 70's and were considered the most poorly constructed line of guitars they ever made.

However, I can't find any reference to an "Epi" SG in my price lists. As RTH says, it may be an orphan designed for a foreign market, or just a short-lived production run that didn't make it into the published lists.

The original Epi models were made in 1979 in Taiwan and were only the acoustic models A-10 & A-12 that I know of. The second Epi run was made in Korea in 1995 and consisted of two acoustics, two S-types and an S-type bass. All models started with the "E" designation. EC & ED for the acoustics, ES fort he electrics and EB for the bass. They were also very poorly made, but from what I understand, not as bad as the 1979 models from Taiwan.

Also, the Maestro guitars are more akin to the Juniors and around the same level and pricing. The major differences between the two are the logos, headstock and neck materials. Not sure about the body material, but I assume they are laminate.

Right. I wasn't making any quality comparison - just saying that these brands were sold at places you might not find musical instruments. I remember "Epi" S series at Wal Marts at christmastime for example. Our Target varies between Maestro, First Act, and Starcaster by Fender, Fender's hat in this particular ring.

Right. I wasn't making any quality comparison - just saying that these brands were sold at places you might not find musical instruments. I remember "Epi" S series at Wal Marts at christmastime for example. Our Target varies between Maestro, First Act, and Starcaster by Fender, Fender's hat in this particular ring.

I think you are right about the Maestros taking over for the old Epi series. And they seem to do better as well. None of the Epi series stuff lasted for more than a year or so. I actually wouldnt mind getting my hands on a yardsale-cheap Maestro SG just for fun. Also, the Maestro LPs came in a cool purpleburst at one point.

Guitar appears to have been messed with. Neck pickup is backwards, and screws missing. Chrome pup covers may be unoriginal. Neck may be unoriginal.

Just guessing but looks like a frankenslab...

The neck doesnt look like a bolt-on though. At least from the perspective of the pic and compared to my G-310. The 310 neck goes deeper into the body and the heel would be very visible from the same angle. And the body shape looks more G-400 than 310 as well. I suppose we should ask the OP.

Is this a bolt-neck or a set neck guitar? Can we see pics of the back?

Guitar appears to have been heavily messed with. Neck pickup is backwards, screws missing. Chrome pup covers may be unoriginal. Neck and TRC may be unoriginal.

Just guessing but looks like a frankenslab...

ahah no, i was trying to disassembling it, that's why you don't see screws and the pickup is backwards. But you are absolutely right, this guitar has been heavily butchered. enjoy the next pics. I had this guitar for free, from a guy who was throwing it away in the trash.

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

The neck doesnt look like a bolt-on though. At least from the perspective of the pic and compared to my G-310. The 310 neck goes deeper into the body and the heel would be very visible from the same angle. And the body shape looks more G-400 than 310 as well. I suppose we should ask the OP.

Is this a bolt-neck or a set neck guitar? Can we see pics of the back?

yes RTH it's a set-in neck ......... well, it was..LOL

I recognize that guitar.........it's the one Gibbys Prez. busted onstage at the unveiling of the Firebird X !!

not really.......

The one he had wouldn't bust after 5 smacks on the drum-riser.....

notice that the body broke away before the neck joint !

are you gonna try to salvage it?

Not exactly. If you look at the neck joint, you can see the black paint around the whole thing. It looks like a glued-on dovetail that gave way along with the neck. Very strange.

yes, it'some sort of conductive paint, the same you can see in the knobs' hole.

Archived