Gibson Brands Forums

attenuator.

sellen

Thinking of buying this oneattenuator.jpg

My head is a Marshall 2204 50w i run this one in a Marshall 1936 v with two celestion vintage 30 speakers in 16 ohm. My head is running at 8 ohm when it drive this cabinet. Tube Amp Docktor comes in 8 and 16 ohm. Is it the 8 ohm Tube amp docktor i should get for my setup?

Thinking of buying this oneattenuator.jpg

My head is a Marshall 2204 50w i run this one in a Marshall 1936 v with two celestion vintage 30 speakers in 16 ohm. My head is running at 8 ohm when it drive this cabinet. Tube Amp Docktor comes in 8 and 16 ohm. Is it the 8 ohm Tube amp docktor i should get for my setup?

You may consider the Aracom PRX150-DAG ... It has 2, 4, 8 and 16 ohm selection.

Here's a little demo of yours truly using it with my 100 watt Mojave dirty boy that is at 80%. I have it attenuated down to just above normal talking levels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYaxJMkW8D4

Here's a little demo of yours truly using it with my 100 watt Mojave dirty boy that is at 80%. I have it attenuated down to just above normal talking levels.

Damn that sounds nice Duane!

I wanted to watch Top Gun after that...thanks alot!!

I wanted to get a Mojave!

Sure gonna take a look at this one, a bit stiff on the prize 825$ + shipping. But it might be worth it. Excellent playing btw [thumbup]

If the amp is a 16ohm amp then driving a 8ohm speaker cab is wrong. That amp should be matched with the same ohms out put so if it is a 16ohm then you should use a 16ohm device. I would do like Duane suggests get a soak that has a variable ohms input and run your 2204 at 16ohms since that is what it is designed to do.

Man this ohm stuff always confuse me :-k . My JMP got a ohm switch with 4-8-16. The marshall 1936 v cabinet got two 16 ohm speakers. As i understand it, if the amp gonna drive two 16 ohm's speakers it should be set at 8 ohm on the amp.

Guest farnsbarns

Man this ohm stuff always confuse me :-k . My JMP got a ohm switch with 4-8-16. The marshall 1936 v cabinet got two 16 ohm speakers. As i understand it, if the amp gonna drive two 16 ohm's speakers it should be set at 8 ohm on the amp.

Yes, I can see where the confusion came in having read your OP. Two 16ohm speakers can be wired either as 8ohm (parallel) or 32ohm (series). 32 ohm is unheard of, especially in the guitar world so it must be wired in parallel making it an 8ohm cab. Therefore your amp should be set to 8ohms.

When I read your op I thought you had it wrong too (head set at 8ohm with a 16ohm cab), reading the rest of the thread made it apparent you didn't mean you had a 16ohm cab but two 16ohm speakers.

Your set up is currently correct.

Yes, I can see where the confusion came in having read your OP. Two 16ohm speakers can be wired either as 8ohm (parallel) or 32ohm (series). 32 ohm is unheard of, especially in the guitar world so it must be wired in series making it an 8ohm cab. Therefore your amp should be set to 8ohms.

When I read your op I thought you had it wrong too (head set at 8ohm with a 16ohm cab), reading the rest of the thread made it apparent you didn't mean you had a 16ohm cab but two 16ohm speakers.

Your set up is currently correct.

Thanks man [thumbup]

My 2203 did not have that switch it was just 16ohm X2 just make sure you do 16ohm to 16ohms or 8 to 8ohms. Only if the cab is rated at 8ohms do you do 8ohms. Also make sure you use speaker chord not regular 1/4 guitar cables and there is a huge difference.

The cabinet is rated 8 ohm mono and 16 ohm stereo. i use speaker cable

Thanks for all replies , it really was helpful. For attenuator im going for Aracom PRX150-DAG , gonna hurt my wallet big time. It got that ohm switch on both in and out, that's very useful if im gonna buy another amp with different ohm than my current amp/cabinet

Thanks for all replies , it really was helpful. For attenuator im going for Aracom PRX150-DAG , gonna hurt my wallet big time. It got that ohm switch on both in and out, that's very useful if im gonna buy another amp with different ohm than my current amp/cabinet

Good choice [thumbup]

You should also consider a weber Mass attenuator. They are selectable as well and have actual speaker motor in them so that the resistance to the amp fluctuates like a normal speaker would.

http://www.thevintag...ator-p-639.html

I have the Mass 150 listed here.

http://www.tedweber.com/atten.htm Good info too....

But you can only play the theme to Days of Thunder.....

Archived