Gibson Brands Forums

I'm going to need a lot of help :)

mescp

Hi, I am new to guitars. OK, I know nothing about them, other than I thoroughly enjoy all the many different and beautiful sounds that they produce when in the right hands.

I am looking for a good guitar, not for myself, LOL.

I have a friend of 30+ years, has helped me more then even family, without ever being asked, and never asking anything in return. Well now it is my turn to return all the many favors. He plays guitar beautifully for pleasure, and for anyone who needs music never charging a dime. He is now "officially" a cancer survivor (5 years free). Now his wife (the love of his life,) says now that he is healthy she is leaving him and taking the dogs :( So, he is living in the camper and she has the house, and he is OK with that (the dogs need room).

I know the Gibson Les Paul fits his hand like a glove. He plays rock, southern rock, country, and blues not the speed metal or hard cord rock, or air supply crap (LOL) stuff with soul. Since I'm tone deaf I can only go by reviews, I was thinking:

Gibson Custom SG Standard Reissue or Gibson USA Sammy Hagar Red Rocker Les Paul or Gibson 61 Reissue or Gibson 50th Anniversary Robby Krieger SG or Les Paul Studio Pro Plus or SG Standard

As you can tell I haven't a clue what to get him. I know it needs to be a Gibson Les Paul and something to get that deep soulful sound. Any and all help all be greatly appreciated.

Thanks from the

Tone deaf music lovin' Blonde ;)

MeSCP

Is money an issue? you can't go wrong with an R9.

and please don't say speed metal, or hard core rock doesn't have soul, it doesn't tickle my fancy much anymore either, but it's more than rude to say a genre is soulless. It has just as much soul as anything else.

Call Air Supply whatever you want, but they used some really good players, had some awesome arrangements, and were pretty out front with their pop keys. Put them in the headphones sometime, you might be mildly suprised.

rct

Guest farnsbarns

Hi, I am new to guitars. OK, I know nothing about them, other than I thoroughly enjoy all the many different and beautiful sounds that they produce when in the right hands.

I am looking for a good guitar, not for myself, LOL.

I have a friend of 30+ years, has helped me more then even family, without ever being asked, and never asking anything in return. Well now it is my turn to return all the many favors. He plays guitar beautifully for pleasure, and for anyone who needs music never charging a dime. He is now "officially" a cancer survivor (5 years free). Now his wife (the love of his life,) says now that he is healthy she is leaving him and taking the dogs :( So, he is living in the camper and she has the house, and he is OK with that (the dogs need room).

I know the Gibson Les Paul fits his hand like a glove. He plays rock, southern rock, country, and blues not the speed metal or hard cord rock, or air supply crap (LOL) stuff with soul. Since I'm tone deaf I can only go by reviews, I was thinking:

Gibson Custom SG Standard Reissue or Gibson USA Sammy Hagar Red Rocker Les Paul or Gibson 61 Reissue or Gibson 50th Anniversary Robby Krieger SG or Les Paul Studio Pro Plus or SG Standard

As you can tell I haven't a clue what to get him. I know it needs to be a Gibson Les Paul and something to get that deep soulful sound. Any and all help all be greatly appreciated.

Thanks from the

MeSCP

Hi, firstly, you may say what you like about any genre, don't expect everyone to agree, some may be offended, but you may say what you like as long as you don't break the rules.

I am assuming you cannot ask your friend his preferences as it is to be a surprise?

IMHO...

About the guitars, firstly, a camper may not be a good place to keep an expensive guitar, especially a brand new one that may still have some settling down to do as they are affected by humidity changes and temperature changes. I'm not getting down on you, just trying to give you the best possible advice that I can.

Also, when buying a guitar, most players will play many guitars of exactly the same model before they find the one they love, especially with Gibsons and other largely hand made guitars as the differences from one to another apparently identical guitar can be less than subtle.

If it really needs to be a surprise then I am 100% confident that he will be extremely happy with it and the circumstances under which you are buying it will make it mean the world to him either way. I just wanted to help you do the best you can by your obviously treasured friend. Knowing this information you might now decide to take him to a store, play a few and then surprise him by buying one or even just tell him before you go, maybe not, you know your friend and you will know the best thing to do.

I can't tell you which one to get as it is so personal but given the preferred genres you mentioned I would hazard a guess that a single cut Les Paul may be more suitable than an SG which has a slightly different (less woody to my ears) tone as it has no maple cap and less mahogany.

Thing is, the next person to come along will probably disagree with me about the SG vs single cut Les Paul thing.

I was thinking:

Gibson Custom SG Standard Reissue or Gibson USA Sammy Hagar Red Rocker Les Paul or Gibson 61 Reissue or Gibson 50th Anniversary Robby Krieger SG or Les Paul Studio Pro Plus or SG Standard.

Thanks from the

MeSCP [/font][/size]

SGs are a different model line than Les Paul - different shape, look, feel.

Guest farnsbarns

SGs are a different model line than Les Paul - different shape, look, feel.

Yep, although an SG is (strictly speaking) a Les Paul they are different enough in look, feel and sound to a single cut away Les Paul that most people just consider them to be a completely different model.

To clarify for you as conflicting information wont help you right now...

In 1961, slow sales of the Les Paul led Gibson to revamp it into the SG and ceased production of the single cut away model.

In 61 they were still labelled as a Les Paul Model. In 63/64, reputedly due to Les trying to avoid his (soon to be ex) wife (Mary Ford) from making a claim on his continued endorsement of the guitar, his endorsement was removed. In 68 the Les Paul models from 58, 59 and 60 (known as the Les Paul Standard) had become so desirable they started to make the original shape again.

The Norlin years (The time that Gibson was owned by Chicago Musical Instruments) did neither model's reputation, or in fact Gibson in general, any favours. In 86 the Chicago Musical Instruments' ownership of Gibson came to an end and the quality/consistency of the guitars rapidly improved again. Thank you Henry J!

It's interesting that Les Paul himself always claimed that he had a huge input into the design of the guitar while the management of Gibson at the time always said his input was nil to very small.

As has been said above, while the SG was originally the replacement for the Les Paul and was named as such, it's a very different guitar. Assuming you're going for the established Les Paul shape I would advise to go for a longstanding model rather than a special edition or signature model. That way, there's less worry about buying something he wouldn't like. For the sort of money you're looking at spending a nice Studio in the fireburst finish would, I'm sure, go down very well with your friend.

Alan

First let me say sorry for taking so long to reply, I was away with my children and had no computer access.

THANK YOU ALL! This is a great group of people.

Let me clarify a few things: First my friends camper (camper with a motor and wheels?) cost more than my home, and is paid for that is why he lives in it. Second my friend does have other guitars, amps, and accessories.

He has played a Les Paul before (in a store) and it fit his hands "perfectly". That is great to know about the SG not being the same as a Les Paul. He does play mostly southern rock, country rock, so that is the sound I am looking for (I was just reading the descriptions).

Any and all guitar suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you all, again.

You are the GREATEST!!!!

As has been said above, while the SG was originally the replacement for the Les Paul and was named as such, it's a very different guitar. Assuming you're going for the established Les Paul shape I would advise to go for a longstanding model rather than a special edition or signature model. That way, there's less worry about buying something he wouldn't like. For the sort of money you're looking at spending a nice Studio in the fireburst finish would, I'm sure, go down very well with your friend.

Alan

THANK YOU :)

Yep, although an SG is (strictly speaking) a Les Paul they are different enough in look, feel and sound to a single cut away Les Paul that most people just consider them to be a completely different model.

To clarify for you as conflicting information wont help you right now...

In 1961, slow sales of the Les Paul led Gibson to revamp it into the SG and ceased production of the single cut away model.

In 61 they were still labelled as a Les Paul Model. In 63/64, reputedly due to Les trying to avoid his (soon to be ex) wife (Mary Ford) from making a claim on his continued endorsement of the guitar, his endorsement was removed. In 68 the Les Paul models from 58, 59 and 60 (known as the Les Paul Standard) had become so desirable they started to make the original shape again.

The Norlin years (The time that Gibson was owned by Chicago Musical Instruments) did neither model's reputation, or in fact Gibson in general, any favours. In 86 the Chicago Musical Instruments' ownership of Gibson came to an end and the quality/consistency of the guitars rapidly improved again. Thank you Henry J!

It's interesting that Les Paul himself always claimed that he had a huge input into the design of the guitar while the management of Gibson at the time always said his input was nil to very small.

Thank you

Hi, firstly, you may say what you like about any genre, don't expect everyone to agree, some may be offended, but you may say what you like as long as you don't break the rules.

I am assuming you cannot ask your friend his preferences as it is to be a surprise?

IMHO...

About the guitars, firstly, a camper may not be a good place to keep an expensive guitar, especially a brand new one that may still have some settling down to do as they are affected by humidity changes and temperature changes. I'm not getting down on you, just trying to give you the best possible advice that I can.

Also, when buying a guitar, most players will play many guitars of exactly the same model before they find the one they love, especially with Gibsons and other largely hand made guitars as the differences from one to another apparently identical guitar can be less than subtle.

If it really needs to be a surprise then I am 100% confident that he will be extremely happy with it and the circumstances under which you are buying it will make it mean the world to him either way. I just wanted to help you do the best you can by your obviously treasured friend. Knowing this information you might now decide to take him to a store, play a few and then surprise him by buying one or even just tell him before you go, maybe not, you know your friend and you will know the best thing to do.

I can't tell you which one to get as it is so personal but given the preferred genres you mentioned I would hazard a guess that a single cut Les Paul may be more suitable than an SG which has a slightly different (less woody to my ears) tone as it has no maple cap and less mahogany.

Thing is, the next person to come along will probably disagree with me about the SG vs single cut Les Paul thing.

Thank you

Archived