Gibson Brands Forums

airplane flanger?

S t e v e

I have the pedal, and it is BADASS!!! But Im not into flangers like I used to be, so Im considering selling it. That and I feel that the takeoff thing belongs to Paul, as Steve said. But its a great machine, and its very unique sounding--I have never heard a flanger like this before ( it sounds like a mix between the A/DA Flanger and the Ibanez FL9 from the 80s ). If you're looking for the EVH thing, DON'T BOTHER. Just get an MXR for the Unchained tone. If you're looking for the Gilmour/Summers or the lo-fi, Cure-ish tone, get an Electric Mistress ( the Deluxe version, not the stereo ). The AF-2 is a good flanger for the Steve Stevens/Pat Travers/Alex Lifeson type tone. Every time I use it I HAVE to jam out on Snortin' Whiskey, Limelight, Red Barchetta, Spirit of the Radio, or Freewill. I do like it better than chorus though. I think Im going towards a phaser/vibe type thing now.

did EVH use a flanger or phaser on the intro to "ain't talkin bout love"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuyvT8nFMLY

A flanger. He used his Phase 90 on the solos. If ya wanna hear him use a flanger then listen to the Fair Warning album ( songs like Unchained, Mean Streets, Hear About it Later, etc ). The first two VH albums are full of Phase 90. From Diver Down and on thru the Hagar years ( up to about 1996 ) he used a LOT of chorus. For that, Panama off of 1984 and Cabo Wabo off of OU812 are his best chorus tunes. Processed sounding but good!

I'm a sucker....sooooo might buy one if it's in a store but no one seems to have em in stock.

If you're looking to buy one I suggest you play one first. It dosen't do the EVH thing ( MXR ). Its like the A/DA Flanger. You can get a nice, subtle chorus tone, or some vocal like sweeps. Its a nice pedal. Looks cool, even if its purple! I might sell mine though, only cause' Im not really into flange these days ( or chorus, for that matter ). I want an MXR 74' Script Phase 90 from Analogman. He mods them for true bypass ( doesn't matter ), LED ( its good to have ), and a power jack ( whole point of getting the pedal from him ). MXR makes a Script logo with LED and power jack, but its really the EVH Phase 90 on the inside. Doesn't have the same warmth, nor that rich, juicy swirl of the original. Gearmanndude did a shootout between the two, and the LED one sounded like crap compared to the 74' RI. I also like the Dunlop Rotovibe ( I know, its not close to a Univibe but it has its own sound--very Phase 45esqe ). The Phase 90 with a Maxon OD-9 and some delay punishing the front end of a Plexi is the perfect lead tone!!!!

If you're looking to buy one I suggest you play one first. It dosen't do the EVH thing ( MXR ). Its like the A/DA Flanger. You can get a nice, subtle chorus tone, or some vocal like sweeps. Its a nice pedal. Looks cool, even if its purple! I might sell mine though, only cause' Im not really into flange these days ( or chorus, for that matter ). I want an MXR 74' Script Phase 90 from Analogman. He mods them for true bypass ( doesn't matter ), LED ( its good to have ), and a power jack ( whole point of getting the pedal from him ). MXR makes a Script logo with LED and power jack, but its really the EVH Phase 90 on the inside. Doesn't have the same warmth, nor that rich, juicy swirl of the original. Gearmanndude did a shootout between the two, and the LED one sounded like crap compared to the 74' RI. I also like the Dunlop Rotovibe ( I know, its not close to a Univibe but it has its own sound--very Phase 45esqe ). The Phase 90 with a Maxon OD-9 and some delay punishing the front end of a Plexi is the perfect lead tone!!!!

kaleb, mojo is a PG fanboy...if PG brought out signature toenail clippers mojo would buy the first set [laugh]

Yeah, I always play before buying but I have watched his demos, bought his albums....I'm a major PG fanboy...need something else to go with my Ibanez PGM100RE [biggrin]

Of, course Steve. Check out the newest Mr. Big album "What if?" It's on there too.

Yeah, I always play before buying but I have watched his demos, bought his albums....I'm a major PG fanboy...need something else to go with my Ibanez PGM100RE [biggrin]

Of, course Steve. Check out the newest Mr. Big album "What if?" It's on there too.

So you're a PG fanboy....Nothin' wrong with that pard'. Now, being a Slash fanboy....in times like these its a mortal sin. Its like all the EVH, SRV, Tremonti, and Petrucci clones out there. Theres a reason why I prefer Strats into Plexis rather than Fenders ( or other American amps--Boogie, Soldano, Peavey, Dumble, etc ). Im not looking for the Srv/Kenny Wayne Shepherd tone ( Although I like Kenny's tone NOW--Its warm and flutey--courtesy of the KOT ). I want the Hendrix/Trower vibe. Hell, I even seek after some of Yngwie's tones.

Anyways, ya, you will like the Airplane Flanger. It comes with some sample settings. It makes a great talkbox!!!!!

So you're a PG fanboy....Nothin' wrong with that pard'. Now, being a Slash fanboy....in times like these its a mortal sin. Its like all the EVH, SRV, Tremonti, and Petrucci clones out there. Theres a reason why I prefer Strats into Plexis rather than Fenders ( or other American amps--Boogie, Soldano, Peavey, Dumble, etc ). Im not looking for the Srv/Kenny Wayne Shepherd tone ( Although I like Kenny's tone NOW--Its warm and flutey--courtesy of the KOT ). I want the Hendrix/Trower vibe. Hell, I even seek after some of Yngwie's tones.

Anyways, ya, you will like the Airplane Flanger. It comes with some sample settings. It makes a great talkbox!!!!!

Yeah, the only grief I get is owning the PGM100RE which has pink on it

PGM1.jpg

You must never mention PG and Slash in the same thread! [scared] jk...Haters be hatin'. Nothing you can do aboot that. Blend your favs and create kaleb tone. You know you're successful in creating good tone when you have haters. [biggrin]

Yeah, the only grief I get is owning the PGM100RE which has pink on it

PGM1.jpg

You must never mention PG and Slash in the same thread! [scared] jk...Haters be hatin'. Nothing you can do aboot that. Blend your favs and create kaleb tone. You know you're successful in creating good tone when you have haters. [biggrin]

That guitar is one of my favorite Ibanezes! But I can't see myself playing an RG only because I like phat necks. I love the neck on the JEM, but I don't care for the scalloping, nor the pickups. I've been dying to try a Fireman. Heard it has a real chunky neck. But I don't like noiseless pickups though. Not that the 67s ( or Injectors ) are impossible to swap. I'll stick to my Les Pauls. Ya know, they call Jeff Beck the guitarist's guitarist, but I believe PG is! The man can just CRANK out the covers. He can shred, but he plays some sweet blues. And hes right about making the vibrato face! My tone is more AC/DC than PG but I don't like a lotta gain. Hell, a JMP is too gainy for me ( I can't imagine what a Recto would be like. EWWWW ). I prefer amps w-o master volumes. Plexis are the only way to go for me man!

That guitar is one of my favorite Ibanezes! But I can't see myself playing an RG only because I like phat necks. I love the neck on the JEM, but I don't care for the scalloping, nor the pickups. I've been dying to try a Fireman. Heard it has a real chunky neck. But I don't like noiseless pickups though. Not that the 67s ( or Injectors ) are impossible to swap. I'll stick to my Les Pauls. Ya know, they call Jeff Beck the guitarist's guitarist, but I believe PG is! The man can just CRANK out the covers. He can shred, but he plays some sweet blues. And hes right about making the vibrato face! My tone is more AC/DC than PG but I don't like a lotta gain. Hell, a JMP is too gainy for me ( I can't imagine what a Recto would be like. EWWWW ). I prefer amps w-o master volumes. Plexis are the only way to go for me man!

Supposedly Ibanez will be releasing a Fireman everyone can afford instead of the $7k one. He used various Fireman models for the new Mr. Big album. Good sound but I love his RG models and esp love the painted F holes so it's obviously a PG model. Dif'rent stokes for dif'rent folks....I have a recto 1/2 stack and Line 6 hyrbid with Bogner tube system. Lean more towards Racer X style.

For pups, if you ever do get your hands on a Fireman, try Lace Sensors. Red or Blue gives it HB tone. HUGE difference from regular single coil.

Supposedly Ibanez will be releasing a Fireman everyone can afford instead of the $7k one. He used various Fireman models for the new Mr. Big album. Good sound but I love his RG models and esp love the painted F holes so it's obviously a PG model. Dif'rent stokes for dif'rent folks....I have a recto 1/2 stack and Line 6 hyrbid with Bogner tube system. Lean more towards Racer X style.

For pups, if you ever do get your hands on a Fireman, try Lace Sensors. Red or Blue gives it HB tone. HUGE difference from regular single coil.

Cool!!! ITS ABOUT TIME!!!! If your Recto works for you then thats good. If you like it it is man! As far as pickups go I don't like the noiseless because they don't sound good to me. No punch. I prefer regular single coils. I enjoy the hum. EMGs arent bad though. I'll try Lace Sensors sometime. I bet a Fireman would be killer with a trio of P-90s or Mini HBs.

Cool!!! ITS ABOUT TIME!!!! If your Recto works for you then thats good. If you like it it is man! As far as pickups go I don't like the noiseless because they don't sound good to me. No punch. I prefer regular single coils. I enjoy the hum. EMGs arent bad though. I'll try Lace Sensors sometime. I bet a Fireman would be killer with a trio of P-90s or Mini HBs.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the Noiseless either. Politcal reasons why the Fender Clapton model switch to the N3s. [thumbdn] I can't remember the guy's name but PG had been listening to a certain guitarist and that's why he opted for the SSS config in the Fireman. But he has at least 2 others with HH (powder blue and the nat mahogony)...Dimarzios I'm sure.

If Ibanez does release the budget Fireman, I hope it has the painted f holes.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the Noiseless either. Politcal reasons why the Fender Clapton model switch to the N3s. [thumbdn] I can't remember the guy's name but PG had been listening to a certain guitarist and that's why he opted for the SSS config in the Fireman. But he has at least 2 others with HH (powder blue and the nat mahogony)...Dimarzios I'm sure.

If Ibanez does release the budget Fireman, I hope it has the painted f holes.

Ya, I liked the EC Strat best with Lace Sensors. The Vintage Noiseless have no balls whatsoever. Same for the N3s. I don't mind the Hot Noiseless too much though, or even an HS-3. Let me guess, that guitarist was Frank Marino? He puts DiMarzio Virtual Vintage pups in his SGs. Painted F holes would look good on a Fireman. Ibanez needs to make a REAL Iceman reissue. Maybe bring back the triple coil pup? Id like to see some Rocket Roll and Destroyer II ( like the ones used by Adrian Smith and Phil Collen ) reissues as well. Those are my favorite Ibanezes. Before flashy finishes, locking trems, wide/thin/flat necks, pointy headstocks, and super hot humbuckers took over.

• 2 weeks later...

Ya, I liked the EC Strat best with Lace Sensors. The Vintage Noiseless have no balls whatsoever. Same for the N3s. I don't mind the Hot Noiseless too much though, or even an HS-3. Let me guess, that guitarist was Frank Marino? He puts DiMarzio Virtual Vintage pups in his SGs. Painted F holes would look good on a Fireman. Ibanez needs to make a REAL Iceman reissue. Maybe bring back the triple coil pup? Id like to see some Rocket Roll and Destroyer II ( like the ones used by Adrian Smith and Phil Collen ) reissues as well. Those are my favorite Ibanezes. Before flashy finishes, locking trems, wide/thin/flat necks, pointy headstocks, and super hot humbuckers took over.

Exactly. waaaaaay too thin sounding, no sustain, no power. Lace just owns those Noiseless and N3s.

Yup, it was Frank Marino.

Triple coil. I think Hamer might have reissued those in recent years.

Exactly. waaaaaay too thin sounding, no sustain, no power. Lace just owns those Noiseless and N3s.

Yup, it was Frank Marino.

Triple coil. I think Hamer might have reissued those in recent years.

back in the day, i bought a guitar from my teacher...a usa strat deluxe in pink with maple neck, it had the lace sensors but i can't remember what colours.

i wish i still had it [mellow]

back in the day, i bought a guitar from my teacher...a usa strat deluxe in pink with maple neck, it had the lace sensors but i can't remember what colours.

i wish i still had it [mellow]

Not too many came out in pink but I think they only made em from 88-92. Either all golds or blue-silver-red. Only options unless modded.

My dad had a yellow strat with lace sensors and a maple neck. It was really sweet. I'm not a big strat fan but I would totally rock this Strat.

So those were called the Deluxe?

The Strat Plus actually. There was a model called the Plus Deluxe, which had HSS Lace Sensors and a flame maple veener. The Plus series was the predecessor of the American Deluxe series. The 88-90 ones are best. They have real alder bodies, not filled poplar or poplar with a veener.

Archived