Gibson Brands Forums

St. Louis Big Band Jazz Concert - Free

L5Larry

The latest attempt to pry the 10-15 St. Louis members we have here off the couch, and out to support live music (and a fellow Gibson.com forum member). This is a free outdoor park concert I'll be playing with the jazz big band. The weather forecast looks to be fantastic, and the band is sounding great. We'll also have both our male and female vocalists there for three songs each.

Saturday, August 13, 7:00 p.m.

Kirkwood Park Amphitheater

Geyer Rd. and Adams Ave., Kirkwood, Missouri 63122

Come on by for some great music, and be sure to catch up with me to say "hi".

For all you jazzheads out there, here's the play list for the concert.

Set 1

The Heat Is On - Sammy Nestico's comp/arr for the Count Basie Orchestra

A Time For Love - Johnny Mandel/comp, Sammy Nestico/arr for Bill Watrous

Gorilla Man Blues - Mark Taylor comp/arr

Samba Libre - Rick Stitzel comp/arr

Summer Wind (male vocal) - Henry Mayer/comp, Johnny Mercer/lyrics, Dave Wolpe/arr

Moonlight In Vermont (male vocal) - Suessdorf/comp, Blackburn/lyrics, Wolpe/arr

Lady Day and John Coltrane (male vocal) - Gil Scott-Heron/comp, Bennett Friedman/arr

Count Bubba - Gordon Goodwin comp/arr for his Big Phat Band

Set 2

Sweet Georgia Brown - Bernie, Pinkard, Casey/comp, Nestico/arr for the Count Basie Orchestra

Ballad For Two - Charlie Richard comp/arr

Secret Love - Sammy Fain/comp, Dave Wolpe/arr

Sway - (female vocal) Pablo Beltran Ruiz/comp, Mark Taylor/arr

Time After Time (female vocal) - Styne, Cahn/comp, Marty Paich/arr for Ella Fitzgerald

Cry Me A River (female vocal) - Arthur Hamilton/comp, Jerry Nowak/arr

In A Mellow Tone - Duke Ellington/comp, Oliver Nelson/arr for the Buddy Rich Orchestra

Love For Sale - Cole Porter/comp, Pete Myers/arr for the Buddy Rich Orchestra

I'm really excited about this concert. I love to play outdoor shows like this, AND it's in my hometown. Come on by and join the fun.

Hey Larry, I might just show up to this one this time.

It's on a weekend.

My wife is out of town, so no complaining about watching bands again on her part. (she's not a big music lover).

Just happen to have nothing going on this weekend, (rare occasion).

A big shout out to LPguitarman (and family), who made it out to my concert last Saturday. It was great getting to meet you, and finally making a St. Louis connection from here on the Gibson boards. Hope you enjoyed the show, I think the band played pretty good, with the exception of when my music blew off the stand and when I picked it up I had the "girl singer" side out for the "boy singer". No wonder I couldn't find my place, I was playing in the wrong key!

This Wednesday we start rehearsals for the new show which will debut on October 12th. Stay tuned.

No wonder I couldn't find my place, I was playing in the wrong key!

This Wednesday we start rehearsals for the new show which will debut on October 12th. Stay tuned.

Could have fooled me, I didn't hear it. You must have covered it up pretty good.

Looking forward to the next show, and your next Blues Inquisition gig.

Between providing sound and lights for the band at our concerts, and then sitting down to play guitar, my plate is pretty full. I couldn't even tell you if there were any recording devises running, but.... Our female vocalist USUALLY has a video recorder running. I'll keep an eye out and see if anything pops up on YouTube or anything.

Archived