Gibson Brands Forums

New riffs...

Shnate McDuanus

So, lately I've been in a bit of a creative slump, so I decided to record myself at my worst and see what the community thought.

Those are some riffs that I've been working on. For some reason everything I do lately sounds like nu-metal. Oh well. It sounded better on my amp, I swear--the way I recorded it and the way in which I got my distortion (Audacity plug-in) makes it sound pretty awful--a big part of two of the riffs were pinch harmonics, but they didn't come out right because of how they were recorded.

You're using audacity distortion? Do you want a marshall jackhammer? you can have it if you like.

It's complicated. I had been using my amp's line-out into my computer, but my second cable stopped working, so I can't run the line-out into my sound card until I fix the cable situation.

TL;DR I don't need the pedal, but thanks for the offer.

The tone reminds me of the record Heretic. [flapper]

Nice riffing though.

Nice riffing? You mean it?

I don't know, it just sounds amateurish to me--maybe I'm too close to it, though. It would probably sound better with bass and drums.

Thanks, though.

Oh--and Heretic? That hurts.

Nice riffing? You mean it?

I don't know, it just sounds amateurish to me--maybe I'm too close to it, though. It would probably sound better with bass and drums.

Thanks, though.

Oh--and Heretic? That hurts.

Do you work on arpeggios or scales?

Do you work on arpeggios or scales?

Yeah, I work on arpeggios and scales, and I also analyze riffs in depth when I play them to get an understanding of their theoretical underpinnings. I have a bunch of harmonic minor- and locrian-based stuff in the works, but I was just ******* around today and trying to imitate the chugging, atonal styles of 90s nu- bands like Korn and early Slipknot (before they got all "melodic") and thought to record some simple tracks.

Hey Dem00n do you have anything recorded to listen to? not trying to be sarcastic at all, but I'm just wondering.

No. [lol]

Trust me id love to buy a mic but i keep forgetting to, i could go on with excuses. [flapper]

In all honesty im looking for a mic but it something in the bottom of my list.

I was told by many to buy the Blue Yeti though.

Yeah, I work on arpeggios and scales, and I also analyze riffs in depth when I play them to get an understanding of their theoretical underpinnings. I have a bunch of harmonic minor- and locrian-based stuff in the works, but I was just ******* around today and trying to imitate the chugging, atonal styles of 90s nu- bands like Korn and early Slipknot (before they got all "melodic") and thought to record some simple tracks.

Oh, i was just wondering.

Thats why it said Nu-metal... [scared]

Oh, i was just wondering.

Thats why it said Nu-metal... [scared]

Call it a guilty pleasure. Sometimes I listen to Mudvayne or Slipknot or SOAD and, I guess, I enjoy them. I don't enjoy them as much as I enjoy Weapon or Atheist, I enjoy them on their own terms and for their own aesthetic qualities.

I still can't stand Linkin Park or Limp Bizkit, but at the very least I'll admit that there's some decent nu-metal stuff out there. It's nowhere near as asinine as metalcore (and even then, I'll occasionally listen to Earth Crisis or Hatebreed.)

I mean, honestly, I think Slipknot's Iowa is a superior record to Morbid Angel's Heretic. No, I might not say that about any other Morbid Angel album (f uck you I still love the early ones) but I can safely say this is genuinely how I feel about those two albums in particular.

Call it a guilty pleasure. Sometimes I listen to Mudvayne or Slipknot or SOAD and, I guess, I enjoy them. I don't enjoy them as much as I enjoy Weapon or Atheist, I enjoy them on their own terms and for their own aesthetic qualities.

I still can't stand Linkin Park or Limp Bizkit, but at the very least I'll admit that there's some decent nu-metal stuff out there. It's nowhere near as asinine as metalcore (and even then, I'll occasionally listen to Earth Crisis or Hatebreed.)

I mean, honestly, I think Slipknot's Iowa is a superior record to Morbid Angel's Heretic. No, I might not say that about any other Morbid Angel album (f uck you I still love the early ones) but I can safely say this is genuinely how I feel about those two albums in particular.

I still love early morbid angel stuff, was listening to them yesterday.

I find some Hellhammer stuff on CD, i never had Hellhammer stuff before. Their no Celtic Frost but they are still very good...

I still love early morbid angel stuff, was listening to them yesterday.

I find some Hellhammer stuff on CD, i never had Hellhammer stuff before. Their no Celtic Frost but they are still very good...

Yeah, the Hellhammer material is very interesting. I have Apocalyptic Raids 1990 A.D. on CD, and I've heard some stuff from the Death Fiend/Triumph of Death demo. It was pretty much the heaviest stuff around at the time, and, proudly untechnical though it is, it's definitely pretty entertaining.

Sounds like early Sabbath to me [thumbup]

Interesting assessment. I'm no Iommi, although I could write much more Sabbath-y stuff if that was my aim. I actually have some cool doomy riffs that I should probably post up at some point.

Brother...drums will make a huge difference too. The riffs themselves sound pretty cool and id like to hear them fleshed out a bit with some accompaniment. The distortion could use some work...what are you using to record?

Thanks brother! Unfortunately I have no really good way to add percussion at this time. I'm dying to flesh some of these out into full songs (I've even been working on lyrics--the riffs sound sort of like 90s alt stuff to me but the lyrics are pure fxcking apocalypse) and once I have the means to do percussion (even if I job it out to my friend to do drum tracks in FLStudio) I'm going to get right on it. I have a bunch of material that I'm just aching to record, but I don't feel like I should commit anything more comprehensive than sketches to record unless I can record drums and can have a more usable distortion tone.

Right now, I'm embarrassed to say what I'm using to record [unsure] . I'm actually running my guitar directly into my sound card and recording in Audacity...I used to use the line out on my amp, but the patch cable that I used to connect the amp to the computer crapped out on me, so now I only have one cable to work with until I fix the cable or replace it. At some point I think I'm going to get a Digitech Death Metal and run the mixer output to my sound card. At some point (after I save up a bit) I'll get a proper recording interface, and probably invest in a software drum solution of some sort. Ugh, these recording really put my playing in a bad light... [sad]

Archived