Gibson Brands Forums

Nut Replacement on Gibson LP Studio

rjames1973

Hi,

I have a relatively new Gibson Les Paul Studio, which I absolutely love. I had the guitar set up a couple of months ago, and my guitar tech cut a slightly deeper slot in the nut where the G string is placed. I was having a lot of problems with the G string going out of tune when I bent the string. After the slot was adjusted, I noticed a slight improvement with the string staying in tune; however, it has started going out of tune again. My LP came installed with a Corian nut, which I've read is supposed to be good quality. I'd hate to do any mods on this already great guitar, but am considering upgrading to either a tusq or bone nut. Has anyone else experienced this issue with their LP Studio and replaced the nut? If so, what kind of nut did you replace it with? I know the bone nuts are expensive, but I figure it would be worth the extra money for my prized guitar. If someone has a better (and affordable) option, please let me know. Thanks!

I always use Big bends Nut Sauce

http://www.bigbends.com/

works a treat on my Gibsons

Corian nut is pretty good I wouldnt replace unless you really have to. Bone nuts are natural and therefore can contain inconsistencies that could reduce tone. Man made material such as corian and Tusq do not have these possible inconsistencies and will be more overall balanced.

I've found that a mechanical pencil with .5mm lead is perfect. I darken the slots with a little pencil lead before I put new strings on.

If my G starts pinging, I just move it aside, and put some fresh graphite in the nut. Seems to work really well, and doesn't cost 25.00.

I wonder if your 'tech' has actually made the binding worse by cutting the slot deeper. If the slot is at an appropriate depth the string should sit half in, half out. He should have carefully re-shaped/smoothed the exit points across which the string passes in order to prevent the binding problems from happening.

Archived