Gibson Brands Forums

SG `61 Re-issue

Bobz1b

Hi

I am thinking of buying an SG standard.2005 `61 re-issue, how close will the sound be to what Angus Young uses, from what I can find out he uses (as well as others) a 68 re-issue which is basically a 62 and from what I can read a 62 is basically a 61....hope this makes sense

Any advice appreciated

Regards

Bob

Angus youngs sound is all in the amp

geta good marshall valve amp and put all settings to 12 0'clock position then turn the volume up and bingo! works with a les paul too

Very true, that's why im getting a attenuator(Aracom PRX 150 DAG).BTW nothin' wrong buying the 61 sg. Is it the custom shop or the USA model?

It's the US model. I don't know wether to get that or a standard are they the same pick ups? I have other guitars but I think the SG looks sooo cool and. I am a big AC/DC fan so I would like to be able to get that sound

It's the US model. I don't know wether to get that or a standard are they the same pick ups? I have other guitars but I think the SG looks sooo cool and. I am a big AC/DC fan so I would like to be able to get that sound

The standard got 490 r 498 t pickups- 61 sg got 57 classic. Both will do great, but 57 classic might be a little bit more correct to nail that Angus sound Go ahead and spoil yourself with an sg [biggrin] . BTW as i understand it Gibson will come out with a new 50s anniversary Angus model later this year. Gonna be around 1500$ . Ain't sure, just something i read on the

Angus youngs sound is all in the amp

geta good marshall valve amp and put all settings to 12 0'clock position then turn the volume up and bingo! works with a les paul too

To add to that, AFAIK Angus uses non master volume Marshalls like the Super Lead Plexi. To me that is the key to his amp sound: no master volume.

I just picked up an '05 1961 RI SG (US not custom shop) and it is KILLER. If you can get a good deal on it then DO IT. I have certainly not been disappointed. I absolutely love the '57 classics and I think it is worth having those over the 490 and 498.

Hi

I am thinking of buying an SG standard.2005 `61 re-issue, how close will the sound be to what Angus Young uses, from what I can find out he uses (as well as others) a 68 re-issue which is basically a 62 and from what I can read a 62 is basically a 61....hope this makes sense

Any advice appreciated

Regards

Bob

the 60's neck is a little slimmer. the standard not much thicker.

i have played and have seen various sg's used to play ac/dc songs. over all the sg standard of the rack with the 498t bridge pick up nails the angus sound the best and the cheapest way to go. and angus doesnt use any foot pedals either just the amp settings

angus generaly used stock sg standard,guitars.

i have seen him use the angus sg from gibson. but it will run about 2300.00 but if your going to by a new 61 reissue for 2000.00 whats an extra 300.00 or just buy any sg standard and buy the angus bride pick up and a 57 plus for the neck. and a marshal tube amp.

heres a few link to look around on

angus gubson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angus_Young

I appreciate all the advice guy`s

I really dont know what to do, I read that at one time Angus used a `62 SG and from what I can find out they are virtually the same as a `61....is there a difference? are they the same pick ups?? My options are a 2005 61`reissue or a brand new SG standard, both for around £1000 I need to decide soon

Will the 61 do a decent job of a rock sound or are the 57 pickups a bit too bluesy and mellow ?

I really dont know what to do, I read that at one time Angus used a `62 SG and from what I can find out they are virtually the same as a `61....is there a difference? are they the same pick ups?? My options are a 2005 61`reissue or a brand new SG standard, both for around £1000 I need to decide soon

Will the 61 do a decent job of a rock sound or are the 57 pickups a bit too bluesy and mellow ?

if you played the 61 reissue and like the neck just buy it, and later buy a 498t or the gibson angus humbucker and try it. he might have used a 62 sg but he doesnt now.

i dont see you going wrong with any of the sg's you talked about. also search youtube for gibson sg ac/dc and listen to soom that might help.

angus used both cherry and black sgs. so either will do.

heres angus model

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Angus-Young-SG-Electric-Guitar-584247-i1501000.gc

I have not played any SG`s, what is it about the `61 neck is it just that its slimmer ? I read somewher that if you really dig in the neck can wobble onsome SG`s, is it a good joint on the 61 reissue or is the standard much more solid?

I have a strat deluxe, a studio les paul and an Ibanez jem and a 10th anniversary jem at the moment and would really like to add an SG to my collection and as I say I am a big Angus fan, I must admit the 61 looks cool is it a big job to change the pick up later ?

Thanks again

I have not played any SG`s, what is it about the `61 neck is it just that its slimmer ? I read somewher that if you really dig in the neck can wobble onsome SG`s, is it a good joint on the 61 reissue or is the standard much more solid?

I have a strat deluxe, a studio les paul and an Ibanez jem and a 10th anniversary jem at the moment and would really like to add an SG to my collection and as I say I am a big Angus fan, I must admit the 61 looks cool is it a big job to change the pick up later ?

Thanks again

as long as you know how to use a soldering iron then no not difficult at all

The obvious answer are if you get to try them, pick what feels best for you. If not i would say the pick sg 61. It have nicer beveles, got that big headstock (Angus have on his) It's more valuable if you gonna sell it. Btw standard have a bit stronger neck joint. It's importent to remember that there are good standards and bad once and the same goes for 61 sg's.

I believe his number 1 is an '68 Standard. A lot of the sound is in the amps - his signal chain is basically clean. That and he uses Super Slinky strings (.09-0.42)

However you can't go too wrong with a '61 RI - I love mine.

Hi Guy`s

quick up date ...missed out on two nice sg 61`s on ebay,I bid up to £1000 + but no luck, anyway I found myself after a few beers this afternoon in my local guitars shop trying SG standards and 61`s and a few hours later Im back home with a battered credit card and a brand spanking new Gibson SG `61...Mann I an happy,

they are as good as you guy`s said. I`m sitting here playing it unplugged waiting for the missus to go to bed so I can plug it in and get to know it better..I hope she ****s off soon ha

Thanks for all your support you have all been cool I will try and post some pictures soon,

peace and love

Bob x

Hi Guy`s

quick up date ...missed out on two nice sg 61`s on ebay,I bid up to £1000 + but no luck, anyway I found myself after a few beers this afternoon in my local guitars shop trying SG standards and 61`s and a few hours later Im back home with a battered credit card and a brand spanking new Gibson SG `61...Mann I an happy,

they are as good as you guy`s said. I`m sitting here playing it unplugged waiting for the missus to go to bed so I can plug it in and get to know it better..I hope she ****s off soon ha

Thanks for all your support you have all been cool I will try and post some pictures soon,

peace and love

Bob x

Nice one Bob! congrats \:D/

Archived