Gibson Brands Forums

Help identify this archtop

Howlin4Hubert

I came across an archtop that I'm very interested in purchasing. It is being advertised as a Broadway. However all the pictures and descriptions I've found of Broadways don't match up with the picture of this archtop. I've tried to figure out what it is but have been unsuccessful so far. The serial number indicates it was made in 1989 in Korea.

Anyone know what it is? Is it a Broadway or something else? I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could help me. Thank you very much in advance!

epiphone-which_archtop_is_it.jpg

Thank you Pete.R! I think you're correct. When I first searched on Emperor the pictures matched with one exception, the three-position switch was on the opposite side. However when you suggested it was an Emperor I did some more searching and found pictures of Emperors that match exactly.

Thanks again Pete.R!

It is an Emperor II. The original Emperor was a pre-Gibson Epiphone design, and the Emperor name was also used for a very high-end Matsumoku model in the 80's which was essentially an L-5 CES copy. This design later became the current Broadway (with a few cosmetic changes).

The Emperor II is a smaller-bodied guitar, and when it acquired the "Joe Pass" designation, the selector switch was moved from the cutaway horn to the bass bout, but otherwise the Emperor II and the Joe Pass Emperor II are essentially the same.

Nope, not a Byrdland, an L-5 CES. They have the same basic shape and appointments except for the tailpiece, but the Byrdland is a thin-bodied guitar (2 1/4")with a short scale (23.5") while the Emperor, like the L-5, is a full-depth body (3" +)with a 25.5" scale. A quick glance at a Byrdland will show the pickups much closer together and the bridge much higher up the body.

Thanks for all the help everyone. Looks like Pete.R is correct, it is an Emperor. From the information I could find the re-issued Emperor models were 1982-1992 as Emperor, 1993-94 as Emperor II, and 1995-current as Joe Pass Emperor II.

Some awesome pics of the different guitars! Thank you for sharing! Archtops sure are beautiful works of art! Can't wait to own one. Sadly I didn't win this one, went a bit too high for me. But hopefully someday soon I will procure one :)

If anyone else has pics of their archtops please share!

Thanks again everyone.

Geez Svet, I hope someday you're able to get your hands on a few really nice guitars instead of those wannabee Elitists.

All kidding aside, a beautiful collection indeed! Where's my drool bib when I need it?

LOL thanks Bobouz, I have a few others too: }

WOW WOW WOW Svet that is an awesome collection you have!!! [thumbup]

Um well, that's not all of em, but Ill post a few more arch top pictures for you. The Backs are usually the best!

Broadway Back

elitistbroadwayback.jpg

Byrdland Back

back.jpg

Eastman's

Picture767.jpg

910ceback.jpg

810ceback.jpg

top-1.jpg

back-2.jpg

Picture730.jpg

Picture729.jpg

Nope, not a Byrdland, an L-5 CES. They have the same basic shape and appointments except for the tailpiece, but the Byrdland is a thin-bodied guitar (2 1/4")with a short scale (23.5") while the Emperor, like the L-5, is a full-depth body (3" +)with a 25.5" scale. A quick glance at a Byrdland will show the pickups much closer together and the bridge much higher up the body.

Yeah, I just meant at a glance as far as the body shape is concerned. But I guess its closer to a Broadway.

Archived