Gibson Brands Forums

G-400 Custom Question

tonello

I have just recently bought an Epi G-400 "Les PAul" Custom.

My question is that when I turn all of my pickups down in the middle toggle (all pickups are turned on here), I still get sound from the bridge. I suppose it wouldn't be an issue if it weren't for the fact that the bridge is also on in the Rhythm toggle. Is mine just a lemon that needs a rewiring (and while I'm at it, should I replace the stock pups) or is it that way for everyone else? I appreciate all your answers and please don't flame or be an asshole in any way.

I have just recently bought an Epi G-400 "Les PAul" Custom.

My question is that when I turn all of my pickups down in the middle toggle (all pickups are turned on here), I still get sound from the bridge. I suppose it wouldn't be an issue if it weren't for the fact that the bridge is also on in the Rhythm toggle. Is mine just a lemon that needs a rewiring (and while I'm at it, should I replace the stock pups) or is it that way for everyone else? I appreciate all your answers and please don't flame or be an asshole in any way.

I used to have one of these, and if you turn off all the pups with their individual volume controls (3-vol, 1-tone), you shouldn't get any sound in any toggle position. Sounds like something isn't wired correctly. Did you buy it new that way?

Stock pups sounded fine on mine, but YMMV.

I used to have one of these, and if you turn off all the pups with their individual volume controls (3-vol, 1-tone), you shouldn't get any sound in any toggle position. Sounds like something isn't wired correctly. Did you buy it new that way?

Stock pups sounded fine on mine, but YMMV.

That's probably the thing, there's 3 vol and 1 tone on a Custom, not the usual 2 vol, 2 tone, more than likely works correctly, just not used to the different control arrangement.

That's probably the thing, there's 3 vol and 1 tone on a Custom, not the usual 2 vol, 2 tone, more than likely works correctly, just not used to the different control arrangement.

Interesting... Is a wire schematics of these available anywhere? I wish my 3-PU Les Paul Black Beauty had individual volume controls for each PU.

BTW RaSTuS, did you ever check yours for treble-bleed caps on the volume pots, like mine has?

I bought a brand new Custom 3 this past May, It's Chinese Mfgr'd and I wouldn't TOUCH the electronics with a screwdriver. I've seldom ever liked stock tones but this guitar literally SINGS !!

Epi's QD China plant had their :blink: together when they assembled this one.........

BTW RaSTuS, did you ever check yours for treble-bleed caps on the volume pots, like mine has?

Yes, I've never measured the capacitance values of them though.

I agree totally on the sonic properties of them, they are very, very good, just a shame mine has neck flex issues, I'm considering doing a butcher job and inserting screws into the neck tenon area to try and resolve it, because it's basically useless as it is.

Here's a pic of the control cavity on mine.

Epiphone_G400-Custom_Ebony_CtrlCav-01scaled.jpg

I've never had any issues with the wiring of my G-400 Custom and generally keep the middle pup vol. turned right down to 0 so the guitar operates more or less like a 2 pup S.G.With all 3 pups engaged theis guitar just sings so sweetly.

I agree totally on the sonic properties of them, they are very, very good, just a shame mine has neck flex issues, I'm considering doing a butcher job and inserting screws into the neck tenon area to try and resolve it, because it's basically useless as it is.

Sold my G400 due to a rubber neck was extremely happy to find a buyer. I had traded a nice MIJ Strat for the G400. Crappy design for the neck joint for sure. Too bad, because I thought the stock electronics sounded awesome, pickups included.

Archived