Gibson Brands Forums

Of interest for pedal buyers

vourot

Very interesting and informative. Thanks.

I don't claim to know anything about electronics or building pedals. My buddy who built this pedal (below) is an electrical engineer and works for a high end audio/speaker company. He told me just about any pedal out there has about $20 worth of materials in them. Apparently the Echo Base is a common pedal among the DIY crowd, and has been refined over the past few years by the people who know what they're doing, to achieve what their concensus is the "best" design. :-k IDK, I just have to take his word for it.

Delay.jpg

He told me just about any pedal out there has about $20 worth of materials in them.

The base material costs alone are not a measure of value, of course. If you give both me and Michaelangelo the same tubes of paint and a canvas, which result is gonna be worth more? :)

The real "art" to me with respect to effect pedals is the design part. Knowing why all the pieces need to be soldered together to achieve the desired sound is certainly worth something.

But, as a pedal builder for hobby, there are very few i would buy without attempting to make my own, if not for the cost reasons just because i find it fun!

Don

Very interesting and informative. Thanks.

I don't claim to know anything about electronics or building pedals. My buddy who built this pedal (below) is an electrical engineer and works for a high end audio/speaker company. He told me just about any pedal out there has about $20 worth of materials in them. Apparently the Echo Base is a common pedal among the DIY crowd, and has been refined over the past few years by the people who know what they're doing, to achieve what their concensus is the "best" design. :-k IDK, I just have to take his word for it.

Delay.jpg

Sweet graphics!

Archived