Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone SG G-400 Custom (in Antique Ivory) vs. Epiphone SG Prophecy Series (GX and EX)

trapt_under

Hello. From the past few months I've been interested in purchasing an SG. I was actually thinking of going for the G-400 but then I saw the Prophecy series and those two guitars (EX and GX) have impressed me a lot. The music I play is mostly rock (ACDC, GnR, Aerosmith, etc.) and sometimes metal (Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, etc.). I want something that can give me the most for the money.

Most people would suggest that I try playing each of those guitars and see which suits me best. Unfortunately these guitars aren't available in my country and I will be ordering them from abroad. Hence I cant play them before hand.

Any sort of suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot :)

Hi TU and welcome to the forums, a great bunch of geet geeks around here, I hope you like the place.

My vote would be for a Prophecy GX, the Prophecy's use better componentry and are better build quality than the Custom.

I had a G400 Custom in Antique Ivory, but I sold it. I thought the stock electronics were fantastic. Unfortunately, the neck joint was very unstable though. The neck flexed and felt very wobbly. It took very little to flex the neck and cause all sort of buzzing on the frets. Also the finish was not that nice, you could really see the grain through the finish. The edge of the binding was pretty inconsistent. It looks nice in pictures, but kind of cheesy, under closer scrutiny.

The prophecy series have a lot of really nice upgrades in my opinion. I've played the Les Paul GX model, but I have not played a Prophecy SG. The finish is Killer, (I love the GX), the satin neck, premium electronics, ebony fretboard, would all make the price difference worth it in my opinion. I don't know about the stability of the neck, but hopefully others will chime in. I would avoid the G400 custom, based on the issues I had.

thank you for the feedback! Your review has definitely cleared things up for me. I was pretty sure to go ahead with the Prophecy SG GX but as my luck would have it, apparently the Prophecy GX guitars have been discontinued (according to Musiciansfriend.com) both the SG and the les paul. so. there ya go! I guess i'll just wait a little longer :P

Unfortunately these guitars aren't available in my country and I will be ordering them from abroad.

What country/region are you from TU, perhaps someone local to your area can give some procurement and buying advice ???

Mmmmm I can't remember now who had a Prophecy SG GX.

Was it Jim?

In any case, the GX will give you the versatility that you are looking for as it comes with Dirty Fingers pickups and they'll suit what you intent to play quite well.

I say, go for it!

Mmmmm I can't remember now who had a Prophecy SG GX.

Was it Jim?

In any case, the GX will give you the versatility that you are looking for as it comes with Dirty Fingers pickups and they'll suit what you intent to play quite well.

I say, go for it!

Yeppers ... I've got both the Les Paul and the SG in the Prophecy GX models. Exceptional guitars both!

ProphecyTwins.jpg

Not sure where the OP is located, but the SG Prophecy GX is still available from Guitar Center:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-SG-Prophecy-Custom-GX-Electric-Guitar-with-Dirty-Fingers-Pickups-515619-i1911291.gc

Jim

I have a G-400 Custom i Antiqque Ivory and haven't had any issues with it at all except for the neck heavyness that SG style guitars have.My G-400 can be an absolute screamer when pushed through my JCM 800 stack yet can be really mellow for blues and jazz through my Blues Jr.The G-400 Custom will give you a wide array of tonal colours and the variations in tone will surprise you.

Archived