Gibson Brands Forums

Amplifier Shipping Advice

Rocky4

I'm thinking of putting my HR DeVille on eBay. Shipping it by UPS seems logical to me, but I wonder if any of you have had any experience shipping amplifiers. I've had no problem with guitars, but I'm concerned with shipping a 60 pound tube amp. Any thoughts?

I'm thinking of putting my HR DeVille on eBay. Shipping it by UPS seems logical to me, but I wonder if any of you have had any experience shipping amplifiers. I've had no problem with guitars, but I'm concerned with shipping a 60 pound tube amp. Any thoughts?

Make sure the purchaser buys insurance of specifically say as soon as your hands come off it your no longer responsible. There isn't much more you can really do besides package it properly and hope for the best. The only thing that really doesn't like traveling in tube amps is the tubes, taking them out and wrapping them separately in a huge wad of bubble wrap may help but probably not.

Make sure the purchaser buys insurance of specifically say as soon as your hands come off it your no longer responsible. There isn't much more you can really do besides package it properly and hope for the best. The only thing that really doesn't like traveling in tube amps is the tubes, taking them out and wrapping them separately in a huge wad of bubble wrap may help but probably not.

Thanks. I have a stipulation that states once the item leaves my possession, I am no longer responsible, but I would hate to have somebody get a damaged amp. The tube removal advice is something I hadn't thought of.

I had a Blues Jr. shipped to me from California to Indiana. The owner was good enough to remove tubes and wrap them and everything was fine. One thing to consider is that you should not assume that the new owner will know where the tubes go back so you should give him a diagram and show what tube goes in what slot. Some custom tub sets will use different tubes in different locations to create a tone.

Good luck on your sale. What is it and what are you going to ask?

Get a box pack yourself really good (and remove the tubes) weight and measure it and then go to all the couriers websites (FedEx, UPS, and USPS) and see who has the best rate for shipping your amp (make sure you include insurance (and tracking for USPS) and then go from there.

I might be old fashioned (there might be shipping options I don't know about) but I do not see how a buyer can be responsible for the shipping, or how a seller could NOT be responsible for getting the item to the buyer.

If a buyer chooses to hire the shipper, and hire out the packing, then I can see it being the responsibility of the buyer. But as a seller, if you offer to ship or receive money and charge to ship, you should stand behind doing it right.

If the unfortunate happens and the thing gets damaged, it is either the fault of the one who packed it or the one who shipped it. And, it is kind of difficult as a buyer to hold the shipper accountable sinse he didn't hire them.

Personally, if I buy from someone that involves shipping to me, I would not do business with someone who would not take responsibility for it coming to me. It is like paying for something that may happen and may go wrong.

I had a lengthy talk with UPS. They told me that they recommend that the item should be packed to withstand a two foot drop. Two inches of packing are recommended. The amp went on Sunday. Tman, I'm selling it because I haven't used it in over a year. Unless you're in a band or live where noise isn't a problem, the amp is too loud. Thanks for the advice and wish me luck.

From my experience, specially a tube amp that big and heavy is to ship the amp with the tubes removed and ship the amp "UPSIDE DOWN". Yes, "UPSIDE DOWN". Often times UPS and FedEx drop those heavy boxes and the chassis would just get loose or damaged due to the heavy transformers. This is how Fender amps are shipped straight from the factory..."UPSIDE Down".

I actually just shipped a 85lb Bugera BC30 2x12 via UPS today....I'm always shipping amps back and fourth due to my unhappiness with the majority of em...I've never had any issue's shipping tube amps, just make sure you package it very well and make sure that it's not moving around in the box...Get it nice and snug so it's not moving around during transport.

Shipping amps= huge pain. Are you in a hurry to sell it? Have you tried putting it up for local pickup? Or on craigslist? It seems to me that amps are typically sold on craigslist because then you can play it before you buy, plus you don't have to ship it. Just a thought.

Good Luck!

I actually just shipped a 85lb Bugera BC30 2x12 via UPS today....I'm always shipping amps back and fourth due to my unhappiness with the majority of em...I've never had any issue's shipping tube amps, just make sure you package it very well and make sure that it's not moving around in the box...Get it nice and snug so it's not moving around during transport.

Sorry to hijack, but how'd you dig the BC-30?

Archived