Gibson Brands Forums

Tuning Issues with Es 339

whoobla

No offense taken. I changed them the minute I got the gtr' date=' stretched, 3 hour gig, 3 hour rehearsal. Playing at home, stretched again. Elixir 10 - 46 Poly . Still needs tuning after every song ?? Is that unusual ?[/quote']

Not usual at all. Hmmmm? hmm.gif

It could be related to temp changes where you gig and where you are storaging your ax. Any special EFX being used on stage like a fogger near your guitar?

I love new guitars. But I love them more a year or two later after the wood dries and settles in.

Mines pretty stable during gigs. It will get off a little at home in a few days hanging on the wall this time of year with the windows open.

My J45 RW will change daily and has since 2003. I think the acoustics and semi acoustics are WAY more sensative to temp and humidity changes. My 91 Tele will stay is tune riding on the back of a pony express horse from here to El Paso.

But, it'll still sound a Tele when it gets there !

Best of luck.

Murph.

well as I got home I played a bit and I have deducted that the strings are still new. The gtr is as in tune as most of mine. Yes I'm over thinkin it. The humdity is all good. My room is 45 - 47 , controlled. The acoustic are good. I just tend to freak out. Thanks for the input. Now the good news. I'm in Chicago for the weekend and the wife seems to be "okay" if I buy a very cool Les Paul from Chicago. Pic soon if I find a cool one that is. May not be too hard.

w

I've had mine about a month and still needs tuning every day. I use 10-46 Gibson strings. G, B, and high E need constant tuning, particularly at a gig. I never stretched the strings, figure it will eventually hold. I've been playing Gibson/Epi ES guitars for 48 years, and they are always OK. I also have ES-345 and Epi Sheraton now, all with 57 classic pups. ES-345 and EPI never need tuning, and have Kluson tulip tuners, as does ES-339. Only difference is that ES-345 and EPI have a TuneoMatic bridge, and 339 has ABR-1. I don't know much about ABR but knew many players over the years who complained about ABR and switched to TOM. That could be the problem. Not a big deal to switch. If problem persists I don't know any other alternatives. I sure love the touch and sound of the 339, which I play through Fender Princeton Reverb RI and a Fargen Custom head/cab, depending on gig. It has just as much "life" as ES-345 and is so much small and lighter.

I did a little research. Tonepros website explains, as does another forum herein, about tuning issues. Tonepros makes an AVR II replacement that looks exactly like ABR-1, but is solidly connected and the "little 'wire" like on regular ABR-1 doesn't fluctuate or cause tuning or intonation problems. See replacement at http://www.guitarcenter.com/TonePros-Replacement-for-ABR-1-Tune-o-matic-Bridge-300229-i1374102.gc. I think this may be the problem. Cheap fix.

I put my second set of Ernie Balls (10/46) on mine yesterday afternoon, tuned it up and played about 10 minutes, tuning a few times as they stretched.

Loaded it up, drove 52 miles, did the load in and barely had to touch it up. Touched it up at the end of the first set and it stayed in tune for the rest of the night.

I'm gonna say mine is pretty darned stable.

Murph.

I put my second set of Ernie Balls (10/46) on mine yesterday afternoon' date=' tuned it up and played about 10 minutes, tuning a few times as they stretched.

Loaded it up, drove 52 miles, did the load in and barely had to touch it up. Touched it up at the end of the first set and it stayed in tune for the rest of the night.

I'm gonna say mine is pretty darned stable.

Murph.[/quote']

Murph, I'm running EB 10/46's on mine as well, with the same results.

Do all your strings go out of tune, or do only a few go out of tune?

Because if, let's say, your G and B strings go out of tune, it might because of your nut. My 339 arrived with a badly cut nut. I'd replace it if that's the case.

Buy some Big Bend Nut Sauce.Musicians Friend carries it ,it's an incredible product.I used vasiline and grafite for years but Nut Sauce works much better.I never break strings any more and my guitars stay in tune a lot longer.Comes in a little tube for $19, has a applicator,lasts for ever.You put it any where the strings touch the guitar.I have a strat with a standard 2 point whammy and I use the whammy a whole lot more now that I use the Nut Sauce.No brainer.

Could it be just reacting to humidity changes? I noticed that my acoustics and semi-acoustics are very sensitive whereby the slab guitars are far more stable. If the humidity picks up, all the acoustic or semi acoustics will go sharp etc... The slabs take quite a bit more change to react. Just a thought for all its worth.

My nut "cuts" look OK - but I ordered some nut sauce as suggested and we'll see if it's a fix - thanks for the tip - I just noticed the nut is stark white and doesn't match anymore than the white pick guard trim, but it plays and sounds so good I'll abide. It is the G and B that go out so much.

I was away for a few days. Banging on the Es 339 and it's the strings. They are still new. I noticed they only go out a bit and are settling in. I 'm too crazy . Thanks for the help. We are going through humidity changes here. I did buy a Les Paul Standard . Pics of both soon. I will put detaill of the Paul on the " les Paul " thread.

Archived