Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Ultra-III & Vox VT40+ (w/ pics!)

LHW

I just sold my VT20+ in order to get a Vox AC4TV + V112 cab. Nothing wrong with the VT series at all, just a little too much for me. I just like the simplicity and all tube power of the AC4.

HNG&AD!

Thanks, Tex! I can understand about trading in the VT20+...I've given all 99 presets a brief review, and to be honest, a lot of them sound very similar. Either I'm not cranking it up enough to hear the differences, or my ear just isn't that good. I did find a few worth using, though, so I'm still happy with it. :)

Congrats!! Good for you! And might I say what an excellent color choice you made! Blue geets are the way to go!! :)

Thanks, DW! Yeah, I'm really pleased with the way it looks. And since blue is the favorite color of the missus, it was easier to sell her on this particular model. ;)

congrats on the vox i used to have a ad120 vt great amp. it did it all. have fun

Thanks, amx! So far, it's a fun little toy. Hopefully I'll eventually have time to do an in-depth review of all the settings and effects. Right now, I just don't have that kind of time.

Congrats on getting such a great musical pairing.The guitar is a beauty and I can tell you from experience that the Vox VT Series amps are just great.The 12AX7 tube in the power amp section really gives a tubelike authenticity to the tube amp models.

Thanks, BB! The 12ax7 is one of the reasons why I chose this one over other modeling amps. So far, I've not been disappointed...although, I haven't been able to crank it as much as I'd like to. Hopefully I'll get a chance this weekend, if everyone else goes grocery shopping or just leaves the house for some other reason! LOL

• 1 month later...

Did your Ultra III come with any disks, USB cables or anything? I'm trying to get everything up and running through my PC, but the instructions show a driver in the PDF files that isn't on either of my PC. It appears on the ASIO Device list as a "USB PnP Audio Device", and apparantly I cannot connect to the Guitar Rig LE software without this. The PDFs I've downloaded from Epiphone make very little mention of this. I think the local store misplaced all of the goodies that was supposed to come with it.

Thanks

The only thing I got with my Ultra-III, PB, was the USB cable. I was given the explanation that "the box was empty...it must've been raided by other salespeople." Kind of a crappy way to deal with it, but there wasn't much I could do about it. Maybe I'll get the rest of the stuff when my replacement comes in...although, I'm not holding my breath.

Since it's not convenient to connect my guitar to my PC, I've not even looked at trying to download the software, or any device drivers. You may have to get in touch with Epi's Customer Support for an answer.

Sorry. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings, Lord High Warlock! Hope you´re doing well...

And how is it going with the U3? So far so good? Are you still happy? Any kind of trouble or malfunction with her? Any feedback is important here.

And again, if you can have the time to record and post some audio clips to hear the "acoustic" sound and normal sound it would be great. Epiphone´s U3 video sounds amazing, but you don´t know what equipment they used to do it, so I think it´s better to hear it from regular guys like most of us.

Thanks!

best regards,

Sabas.

Greetings, Lord High Warlock! Hope you´re doing well...

Hello, Sabas!

Ironically, I'm doing better now...for the last few weeks I've been dealing with an injured left-hand (I may have done some permanent damage to my pinky), as well as an internal infection near my appendix. I'm doing much better than I have been, thanks! :)

And how is it going with the U3? So far so good? Are you still happy? Any kind of trouble or malfunction with her? Any feedback is important here.

I haven't touched it in the last two to three weeks (see above). But the last I played, yes, I'm still happy with it. The main problem being that the built-in chromatic tuner doesn't work. There may also be some intonation problems, but I won't be able to verify this until the weekend (and that's basically just a setup issue). These threads might be of interest to you:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/74505-ultra-iii-woes/page__p__1014046#entry1014046

and

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/75925-ultra-iii-update/page__p__1035476#entry1035476

And again, if you can have the time to record and post some audio clips to hear the "acoustic" sound and normal sound it would be great. Epiphone´s U3 video sounds amazing, but you don´t know what equipment they used to do it, so I think it´s better to hear it from regular guys like most of us.

Good idea in theory, but, alas, I doubt I'll be uploading anything...ever. My computer is not in the same room as my guitar, and it'd be too much of a pain to connect the two. Additionally, I'm nowhere near good / confident enough to record anything I play. While time has given me some basic skills, I have no real talent. I only play for the enjoyment it gives me...repeated mistakes and all.

Hope this helps some. I should be around a little more now that I'm feeling better, so let me know if I can answer any more questions. I plan on getting back to playing sometime this weekend, if all goes well. :)

Thanks! I kinda noticed that as I skimmed a few threads when work was slow. It's definitely not a good time for some.

I'm hoping that all I have is some minor nerve and/or muscle damage that'll heal on its own. Right now it feels like a really bad sprain, and it won't QUITE move the way I want it to...one reason why I'm giving it a few more days before I pick up my git again. But, hey, at least the cuts on my index and ring fingers have healed! LOL

Archived