Gibson Brands Forums

Peace Frogs CS Les Paul

JO'C

I purchased 18 guitars (11 Gibson's) at the auction of the Greg Sipe guitar collection on 4/30/2011. I've been able to find pertinent info on all of them except one; a Custom Shop Les Paul Peace Frogs. It is a strikingly beautiful guitar (tie-dye body, gold hardware, peace sign fret inlays) but it has a non-standard custom shop serial#. Gibson customer service has been very helpful with my questions but they hit a dead end with this one. The Peace Frogs clothing company says that only 2 were made as a promotion, but they couldn't give me any other details such as the date of mfg. I was hoping someone out there might remember something or know something about this fine guitar.

post-35572-088792100 1314901670_thumb.jpg

post-35572-024228000 1314901698_thumb.jpg

post-35572-025518000 1314901714_thumb.jpg

I believe it is a 2000 from the serial number. I remember some tie dies about that time but don't have any info or saved photos. Maybe some in in the Custom Shop will remember something. Greg Sipe had a lot fo nice Gibsons. The serial number is standard for the custom ordered and one-off orders from the shop. The old Custom Shop web site had a lot of those photo on it. Good luck on finding more. Contacting the Custom Shop with photos via regular mail may get you some answers.

Thanks CR9. I actually just got an email from Gibson saying

We can indicate it was built in 2000, and is listed in our records as a "Custom Shop Special Quote" instrument, which basically means it was a special order guitar.

Unfortunately, that is the extent of the data we've been able to uncover on the guitar.

At least having the year of mfg gives me a little more to go on. Greg Sipe did have lots of very nice guitars and other eqpt, not just Gibsons. I couldn't get down to NC in person for the auction, so I bid online. It was a great, although stressful way to spend a Saturday. I didn't trust shipping 18 special guitars, amps, etc. so I drove the 700 miles to pick them up. The most amazing thing was when I got down to the auction house to get them, the auctioneer told me that the day before the auction they had a preview and allowed ANYONE to pick up and play the guitars. He said there were more than 100 people there pawing on them. I couldn't believe it. I bet the guy who bought the CS Jimmy Page signed LP for $22,000 wouldn't have paid that if he knew 50 people played it the day before. Luckily, all the ones I bought were in perfect shape.

If you want to see the rest of what I bought, I put an album at:

http://s1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff379/JOC1021/

• 1 month later...

I purchased 18 guitars (11 Gibson's) at the auction of the Greg Sipe guitar collection on 4/30/2011. I've been able to find pertinent info on all of them except one; a Custom Shop Les Paul Peace Frogs. It is a strikingly beautiful guitar (tie-dye body, gold hardware, peace sign fret inlays) but it has a non-standard custom shop serial#. Gibson customer service has been very helpful with my questions but they hit a dead end with this one. The Peace Frogs clothing company says that only 2 were made as a promotion, but they couldn't give me any other details such as the date of mfg. I was hoping someone out there might remember something or know something about this fine guitar.

Hello...I was at the auction and saw this LP and thought it was fantastic. We had to leave early and couldn't bid. Congratulations on snapping that one up. I have also been looking for info on this one. I will pass you any information I find on it. May I humbly ask what you paid for it? I am trying to lessen the pain of having to let it go. I also saw a red-sparkle LP that I loved and was not able to buy. Thanks! Ricky G Raleigh, NC

Hello...I was at the auction and saw this LP and thought it was fantastic. We had to leave early and couldn't bid. Congratulations on snapping that one up. I have also been looking for info on this one. I will pass you any information I find on it. May I humbly ask what you paid for it? I am trying to lessen the pain of having to let it go. I also saw a red-sparkle LP that I loved and was not able to buy. Thanks! Ricky G Raleigh, NC

Hi Ricky,

It was cool that you were actually there. It must have been something to see all those great guitars at once. I found out about the auction only a few days before so I couldn't attend in person. So I bid over the internet from 700 miles away. I may want to sell the Peace Frog LP someday so I can't tell what I paid for it. But I will tell you that the Red Sparkle CS Les Paul sold for $1800, which is a great price for a custom shop LP. My Peace Frog LP went for significantly more. The top guitar sold was a signed Jimmy Page Les Paul, #6 of 25 made. It went for $22,000.

Hi Ricky,

It was cool that you were actually there. It must have been something to see all those great guitars at once. I found out about the auction only a few days before so I couldn't attend in person. So I bid over the internet from 700 miles away. I may want to sell the Peace Frog LP someday so I can't tell what I paid for it. But I will tell you that the Red Sparkle CS Les Paul sold for $1800, which is a great price for a custom shop LP. My Peace Frog LP went for significantly more. The top guitar sold was a signed Jimmy Page Les Paul, #6 of 25 made. It went for $22,000.

My wife and I drove out there the day before the auction and spent some time going through the offerings. Yes, the guitars were just lined up on tables and they did let folks play them. The perspective buyers were very respectful of these instruments and I fell in love with several of them and planned on bidding. My wife especially liked the Peace Frog and I was dying for the afore mentioned red-sparkle Les Paul and a gold sparkle Telecater (am I allowed to say Telecaster on a Gibson forum?)that just played like a bat out of hell. The sheer amount of guitars and what they might sell for and our somewhat limited funds was absolutely overwhelming. We were hoping to snap up some deals but as the auction progressed and we saw what these items were going for, we kind of got discouraged and then ran out of time. I have been looking on eBay periodically to see if Debi's Peace Frog LP comes up but it didn't. It was just a fluke that I Googled "Peace Frog LP" and the forum (and your guitar) came up. We have the big used guitar price guide and it is, of course, not listed. Well, thanks for writing back and let me know if you ever want to sell that bad boy. It is gorgeous. I will pass on any info I find on it but as you know already this one is a toughie. Regards, Ricky G Apex, NC

Archived