Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson ES-175 vs. ES-295

dallasblues

I'm considering buying a vintage Gibson archtop this fall at the Arlington Guitar Show here in Texas next month and am considering either an ES-175 or ES-295. I realize that they are very similar guitars in many ways. Aside from the obvious finish differences, they have very different bridge/tailpieces. Can anyone tell me the advantage or benefit of the "Les Paul" type of bridge/tailpiece on the 295 over that of the style that's on the 175?

I'm considering buying a vintage Gibson archtop this fall at the Arlington Guitar Show here in Texas next month and am considering either an ES-175 or ES-295. I realize that they are very similar guitars in many ways. Aside from the obvious finish differences, they have very different bridge/tailpieces. Can anyone tell me the advantage or benefit of the "Les Paul" type of bridge/tailpiece on the 295 over that of the style that's on the 175?

I'm seeing the "trapeze" tailpiece being common on the vintage 295s...IMHO, the "trapeze" tailpieces are hard to intonate and don't transfer the string vibrations well...

I've seen them with Bigsbys as well.....The bridge on the 175s is more adjustable...( but is a "floating" bridge (?)..) For disclosure, I've never played a 295, but I

have played several 175s...IMHO, the 175 is a much more "playable" guitar....However, as an investment, I suggest doing some research.....The general consenus

(here, and with me) is that Bigsbys are very stable, and are good bridges for string vibration and transfer, making them great for tone......

Never played a 295.

But... in my opinion every Gibbie - heck, every guitar hand or machine made - is pretty much an individual. If you're talking 295 with HBs, it's gonna be more similar to a 175.

I guess I'd say that assuming two similar-year, similar pickup guitars, the picker and string choice would make more difference in the sound than the bridge. I've messed with a number of bridges on hollows and semis, and I keep coming back to a tunamatic type. Personally I've never cared for Bigsbys or other "whammies."

m

[confused] I'm confused. If you never played a 295 how do you know a 175 is more playable? Sadly, I've never played a 295 either. Dallas, you should post this in the hollowbody forum. There are some dudes who could prob tell you a little or a lot about 295s there.

Good and correct point....I'm basing it upon that the 175 has always been a big seller and is still sold to this very day...

And, the "trapeze" tailpiece is well known to not be very popular in the format that it is used on the 295.......

The earliest Gibby Les Pauls are trapize equipped, and they aren't really sought after, even though they're older than the fab 1959s.....

Okay, I may be full of prune juice on this, but I've a hunch that we'd best see the 295 as a transitional instrument not so much because of build, but rather appearance.

Gotta figure that the full hollow was largely played by jazz types in the 50s except for some early rockers. But then the rock "thing" quickly went to semis and solid bodies. So a full hollow retained a jazz constituency who probably wanted a guitar that looked more "traditional." For example, my two full hollows are a sunburst and a blond "wood" finish.

There are a lot more semis out there of various sizes, shapes and hardware sets that have wild colors than full hollows. Gold? I don't think very many at all.

So I guess the way I'd look at it is more a matter of appearance. Who wants a "jazz box" that looks like an overgrown gold top LP in today's world? It's obviously a tiny market.

m

The thing that is cool about the trapeze is it has that vintage "all original because no one would add this" look.

I have not played a right-side-up trapeze either. The upside down doesn't (like on the LP) doesn't really work.

I usually do not like to comment on things I have no first hand experience with, but I suspect that many guitars that came with the trapeze as stock have had them removed when they were close to new because it could be done.

I gotta admit the gold doesn't do anything for me. Neither does the whammy.

And... I still think that given any particular price range - your top and downward even to $100, a guitar can choose you almost more than the other way around.

I'd say either of the two styles would be nice guitars; but I'd only do the 295 if it hypnotized me (which is possible) 'cuz in general I'd rather have a burst, natural or Cali's black 175. Got the burst... so...

m

Archived