Gibson Brands Forums

the greatest moment in guitar playing history?

S t e v e

Milo- I was thinking it could have been the Failure of Orville's first Mandolins and Guitars that lead to the Archtop Models, but the invention and decision to go with the Loar Arch Tops have to be an Important Moment in Guitar Playing History if not the Greatest.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Firstmeasure...

I don't think I'd argue that at all.

The archtop really put the guitar into the mainstream of pop music, even if as a rhythm instrument. Then when folks figured amplification, it went first on those archtops and pretty soon we had bands featuring guitar both for rhythm and lead.

It worked well also with early recording and radio. That's what got Mother Maybelle playing one even though in the '60s everybody insisted that a flattop was "the folk guitar." That was about as dumb as guys here arguing about miniscule variations in tone from this or that. It's the picker that counts. The equipment simply reflects how talented, skilled and comfortable with the equipment.

m

Milo...

Just goes to show that human nature hasn't changed a bit in at least 100 years. If it's new and you don't like it or understand it, knock it to pieces. If I recall, the Piano was considered a teaching tool before it had a few Concertos written for it. The Mandolin certainly got a bad rap before Bill Monroe showed everyone how to play it.

Archived