Gibson Brands Forums

CS-336 Tangerine Burst Quilt

JO'C

In April I bought 18 guitars, 11 Gibsons at the auction of the Greg Sipe collection. One of them is a Custom Shop special order 2004 CS-336 with Tangerine Burst Quilt finish and gold hardware. It's a great guitar, probably my favorite of the bunch. In my searches, I've come across some CS-356's with similar finish but I haven't seen any 336's. I was wondering if there are any others out there or if this is unique?

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff379/JOC1021/Gibson%20Guitars/CS336Body.jpg

All I can tell you about that one is that it's an unusual, non-standard (but handsome) combination of appointments and perhaps a Custom Shop one-off. The quilt is unusual on a CS-336 (though as you note, more common on the 356). The gold hardware is usually found on the CS-356 too, not the CS-336. And those look like they're perhaps abalone dots on the neck, which would have been a special order or an aftermarket replacement. Hard to tell from this one photo, but the fretboard is so uniformly dark, it looks like it might be ebony - which is standard on the CS-356, though that model has the big-block fretboard inlays, not dots.

CS-336's ordinarily have nickle hardware and rosewood fretboards.

All I can tell you about that one is that it's an unusual, non-standard (but handsome) combination of appointments and perhaps a Custom Shop one-off. The quilt is unusual on a CS-336 (though as you note, more common on the 356). The gold hardware is usually found on the CS-356 too, not the CS-336. And those look like they're perhaps abalone dots on the neck, which would have been a special order or an aftermarket replacement. Hard to tell from this one photo, but the fretboard is so uniformly dark, it looks like it might be ebony - which is standard on the CS-356, though that model has the big-block fretboard inlays, not dots.

CS-336's ordinarily have nickle hardware and rosewood fretboards.

Gibson has confirmed that it's a custom shop one-off. I just wasn't sure if that meant there was only one or if someone else may have also ordered the same options.

Gibson has confirmed that it's a custom shop one-off. I just wasn't sure if that meant there was only one or if someone else may have also ordered the same options.

I don't think "Custom Shop one-off" necessarily means that this guitar has a lifetime exclusive on this particular combination of specs, just that this one was special ordered with them. Another could probably be ordered with the same specs tomorrow and it would be a "one-off" too, not a "two-off"!

Ordinarily it would mean upcharges all over to have a CS-336 that varies from the usual production run, veering towards CS-356 specs. Quilt is an upcharge, gold hardware is an upcharge, and if the other things I speculated about are actually the case (ebony, abalone), those are upcharges too. The quilt in particular would probably have put the original list price of this guitar slightly north of a stock stoptail CS-356, I'm guessing. Gibson occasionally does special runs of guitars in quilt, but they're usually spendier than flame, and always more than plaintop.

Beautiful guitar. I agree with clayville. A one-off does not mean that it will not be done again as they do not really have an advanced database of one-offs to track them. Just changing one small detail and you make the next one different from yours and still a one-off. Chances are that it is the only one exactly like it and a very special guitar.

Was this the auction is South Carolina? Maybe North Carolina..idk. I heard this auction was well attended and no deals were had. I also heard the owner of these guitar was there bidding on some of the ones he could not part with.

I have not heard that there were no deals, but I do know that at least 3 of the Gibsons were good deals and JO'C got them. Most likely all of the ones JO'C bought would be considered deals as most were one-offs and limited run guitars at a good price. I bet the owner was bidding to try to get some of his prized guitars back from the bankruptcy courts. That is not an uncommon thing. Businesses that go bankrupt go out and buy their stuff back on the court house steps auctions all the time. I hope Greg got some of his guitars back especially the Zep. acoustic, but have not heard if he did.

123341.jpg

The auction was in NC. The collector was from VA but they held the auction in NC because there is no sales tax there. I didn't go in person. I bid on the internet. I didn't trust shipping the guitars so I drove the 700 miles with one of my band mates to pick them up. Mike the autioneer was a real nice guy. He told me there were about 150 people in the auction at the beginning but about 30 minutes in about 75 walked out. He said "I think they came in with $500 or $1000 thinking they could buy a guitar and they realized they were out of their league". I felt the same way about a lot of the well known, very special guitars. Some great deals were there and some things went for too much. I was intent on getting an Alvin Lee Woodstock ES-335. I stopped bidding at $3500. It sold for $3800. I found out later that you can get a new one for $3300. All in all, I think I did really well, but if I had an extra $100,000 or so, I could have made a killing. One of the bidders was Sam Ash and 4 of his employees. I don't know how many he got, but he was supposedly interested in 150 guitars. I don't think he would over pay. Also the descriptions were vague or incomplete. Much to my happiness, I got a Robin Trower CS Strat, signed by Trower and another Strat signed by Eric Johnson and neither were described as signed in the auction description. I have the complete list of sale prices if anyone is curious, except of course for the ones I bought.

• 3 months later...

Archived