Gibson Brands Forums

guitar wall hangers?

cosmica

Was wondering if anyone has had any experience with wall hangers at home. I want to put some of my Gibsons on display- does anyone have any comments on possible damage to the neck from hanging or anything else that could happen (ie dust in controls, etc) . Any info would be appreciated

Thanks

'03 R0 custom auth plaintop

'05 memphis 335 dot

'06 sg vos std white maestro

'07 R8 chambered flametop

'08 R6 vos

I have two walls 20+ guitar hangers in my studio done with "Off the Wall" brand hangers never had a issue with paint or support and never had any kind of neck issues with any of the guitars. Make sure to watch temp and sunlight if there hanging I have a stupid friend that hung one in direct sunlight faded the top completely out in only a few months.

I think you have to be more careful about where the hanger is than the hanger itself. Look into whether they advertise the foam padding as being nitrocellulose-safe (my wall-hung guitars have polyester or acrylic lacquer finishes, the Gibson stays on a floor stand with a t-shirt over the forks). Martin warns about hanging one of their precious acoustics on an exterior wall where the temperature may be colder on the back of the guitar than the front (oh, really?). I suppose you wouldn't want it hanging on a wall where there's a baseboard radiator underneath so it would be in the path of the rising warm air all the time (drying out is more of an enemy for wood than moisture is). And definitely not where sunlight will get to it - the red/brown pigment in the grain filler will fade and the mahogany will even get bleached from sun, the burst will also fade as the UV light attacks the pigment or dye in the finish (some guys age their guitars by leaving them on the roof - no kidding).

I had 15 guitars hanging on my wall from the basic wood hangers that you can buy at Guitar Center. Can't recall the brand at the moment. I am happy to say that after a big earthquake of 4.5 in Napa, 16 miles from my home at the time, I ran into my studio (after checking on the kids) and each guitar was gently swinging back and forth, but did not fall. That said, keeping my guitars on the wall like that, or even in stands, was absolutely terrible for them because I did not have the time to take to properly keep them clean from the dust. The strings were nasty within weeks, the electronics suffered from the dust in the air, and while it was awesome and impressive to walk into my studio and see them all on display, I won't likely ever do it again unless I retire and have the time to maintain them.

A couple of months ago, my 17 year old guitar whiz son and I spent several hours taking each member of my herd off of the stands, cleaning them deeply, dressing the frets, razor scraping the grime off the fret boards and restringing them. Then we put them all back in their cases, got some masking tape and Sharpy and labeled the sides of each case so we can tell what is in the cases from a glance, and stood the cases up against the wall in the recording studio at home. Sure, its not as pretty to walk in a see a wall of cases, but now when I reach for a favorite guitar I won't put it down in a mixture of shame and disgust combined with a healthy degree of self-loathing for letting it get basically unplayable as-is from leaving them out all the time. Its just not good for them. Sure looks awesome though, but my experience led me to a point where I think keeping them freshly strung and in cases is the best thing for them.

In addition, the so-called "Safe" stands turn the three points my white Les Paul Custom touched the stand a nice shade of light pink, which was heartbreaking. Its the best signature I have on my guitars signed by Les, and the dang thing has pink spots on it now. "Wonderful!" he said facetiously.

Thanks for the info- sunlight is not an issue- I have a return vent on the ceiling above the wall where the hangers are- the room is cooled in summer/heated in winter and the heating system has a built in humidifier - I plan on keeping 4 guitars on the hangers and periodically rotating them

Gibsons

'03 R0 custom auth plaintop

'05 memphis 335 dot

'06 sg vos std white maestro

'07 R8 chambered flametop

'08 R6 vos

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

we can recommend Hercules Hangers for our guitars (especially for Gibsons):

http://www.herculesstands.com/guitars/hangers.html

Stijn Vergeest

Gibson Europe Customer Service

00800-4GIBSON1

00800-44427661

www.gibson.com

service.europe@gibson.com

just make sure you stay away from rubber. go foam. also get a "guitar hanger bra" (google it). these things are a furry cover for hangers and they work great.... even provide extra cushion. also throw away the dry-wall screws that come with hangers. FIND THE STUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! after those 3 steps, you will be perfectly fine. the only things to worry about would be someone knocking them off (or just messing with them) and fade from UV light.

just make sure you stay away from rubber. go foam. also get a "guitar hanger bra" (google it). these things are a furry cover for hangers and they work great.... even provide extra cushion. also throw away the dry-wall screws that come with hangers. FIND THE STUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! after those 3 steps, you will be perfectly fine. the only things to worry about would be someone knocking them off (or just messing with them) and fade from UV light.

Correct! I use a Gibson polish cloth on my hanger to cover the rubber. I have a few String Swings screwed into the wall studs and then put a polish cloth over them. I have had one Les Paul on one of them since 2002 and there is no finish damage to it. Keep them out of direct sunlight. Don't let anyone fool you. If there is black rubber on a hanger it will eventually eat into the nitro. Only natural rubber with no dyes is the closest to being safe, but why take a chance when a little bit of cotton will fix it.

Archived