Gibson Brands Forums

Has anyone attended the free recording lessons at GC?

Riffster

Riffster; I look forward to hearing responses from anyone who has attended those, um, lessons....Apparently they also offer recording services as well..

My, and many others, have experienced mixed customer service at G.C. My personal view is, is salesmen don't even know what they are selling in

regards to their products, and steer customers away from what they want to buy, I myself, would not want to go to the same place to " learn " about

recording....IMHO, it's a sales gimick....ie, " Look what you can do at home recording IF you BUY THIS GEAR !!! And we have it ON SALE !!!! "

So, I'm waiting to hear from folks who have attended them....IMHO, to walk into a STORE and pay money to learn about recording is bunk.........

Do you walk into a car dealership to learn how to drive ??? No......

Free workshops are good IMHO....Recording is an endless learning process....Any kind of learning interaction is good....In that case,

I'd be interested in hearing from attendees.....The ability to record gets easier and easier, but to get great results takes lots of learning...

I have to agree with both Dem00n and Seriously Damian. If it's free, you got nothing to lose but time. You could learn something you didn't know before, but at the same time, they could try to sell you a "new and improved" something that you don't already have.

I went to one of their software seminars a few years back. I had the recording software and was looking to learn it a little faster than I could on my own time. It was somewhat informative, but there was a lot of "this is what you get with the updated version of it" also.

Basically, it might be worth your while to attend one just to see how much they really want to "teach" as opposed to "sell." Then you can probably get a good idea as to whether to continue their series or not.

I haven't been to one of their recording seminars, though. So . . .

I say just go to one, i mean theres always things to learn in every place.

I know, just looking for feedback if any.

I am interested in the GarageBand session in particular, I have not taken the time to record too much on my Mac because I keep coming back to my PC and the little I know.

Well, for me it'd be roughly an 800 mile round trip to the closest GC. Nope.

But actually I think it's not a bad idea to have "events" of various sorts in a music store. Frankly I think it probably should be done more. The advantage is that it helps keep a lot of people aware of what's in the store and what's available in general as well as seeing other "music" types of varying abilities.

The disadvantage, as has been noted, is that some of these stores have people who wouldn't know the difference between pups on a Les Paul and an AE. Those folks often are given a "pitch" they don't even understand (ditto on Musicians Friend, etc., phone lines) but have to repeat regardless.

On the other hand, there are guys like Midiman in the Epi forum who apparently just got a promotion working at a GC in the Las Vegas area who seems quite knowledgeable, although I doubt anybody can claim to know "everything" even about current available guitar offerings, let alone strings and stuff. I'll wager I know far more than a lot of these "customer representatives," but believe me, I don't know 10 percent of what I think I should know.

m

If you do go to one of these seminars, there is also the added benefit of talking to other attendees, at the very least. Share some ideas and get other peoples' takes on things. You could end up learning as much from the other people at one of these events as you could from the seminar itself.

There is a music store in the west of Nashville called Nashville World Music and they have all kinds of events like lessons, clinics, live product demos, etc. but...it is very much out of the way for me.

A Google search indicates the GC recording workshops are not half bad, I will check them out.

Plus like RandyMan says the noted advantage of interacting with other folks with the same interest.

I have a friend of mine, recording artist flying in for 3 days this week to do some singing recording (of a live album?). I'll get a few pointers from him for sure.

There is a music store in the west of Nashville called Nashville World Music and they have all kinds of events like lessons, clinics, live product demos, etc. but...it is very much out of the way for me.

A Google search indicates the GC recording workshops are not half bad, I will check them out.

Plus like RandyMan says the noted advantage of interacting with other folks with the same interest.

I have a friend of mine, recording artist flying in for 3 days this week to do some singing recording (of a live album?). I'll get a few pointers from him for sure.

this may help

GC Recording Workshops

I need to go. I'd like to use my Garage Band, but compared to something like Audacity, it is very confusing and not at all user friendly. I get nauseated every time I step into a GC.

ZigZag; If you have time, check out the "Recording Review" forum......It's run by a recording engineer....And, home recorders, semi-pros, and pros hang out there....There is a

sub forum for each and every software type as well, including Garage Band......Any and all questions you post will be answered.....They even let me post there. [scared][blink] :o ....

Archived