Gibson Brands Forums

upgrading DOT pups and electronics

Aaron

Hola Amigos,

I have an epi Dot that I really enjoy playing, but that I would like to get some better tone out of. Specifically, I'm not fond of the neck pickup sound, and so I never use it. The bridge sounds pretty good I guess, but could be better. I get quite a bit of static when plugged in and not playing that I would like to get rid of as well. It isn't hum necessarily, but a crackly static as I move my hands around on the strings. The tone pots leave something to be desired as well; they don't seem to be very functional.

So my question is, should I upgrade all of this since I like the guitar, or just start over with a new one? I can't afford the leap to a 335. Everybody really seems to like 57 classics in the dot, so I though maybe I would do that. Can one buy pups and complete electronics at one source? Is this a thing I might be ale to do on my own? I am mechanical, but don't know anything about electronics yet.

Aaron,

Where to begin?

I do not, and, have never had a Dot. I have enjoyed the many I have played. So, it becomes a matter of is it worth it to you?

I do my own work so it would be worth it to me. Not sure what pickups I would go with. I've had good luck with the GFS that I have purchased. I know that Gibson makes great pickups but, so do many others. Much depends on the amp you use and your taste in sound? LOL (Did I just say that?)

If it were me I would probably go with some sort of humbucker size P-90 in the neck and a PAF style in the bridge.

As to the electronics, there is no way to explain it all in one post.

I strongly suggest you read many of the threads listed in Animalfarm's DIY in the Epi Lounge.

I'm sure others will also have many insights for you.

Best of luck, and keep us informed. We are here for each others benefit.

Willy

Hey, thanks! I was thinking about a neck P90, but didn't know if that would be possible. I guess anything is possible though. I will look into GFS pickups, and I have already started looking at wiring harnesses via some links I have found here. I'm a little paranoid about taking my guitar apart since it is the only one I have at the moment and I don't want to be without it for very long. Thanks for the advice though, and I will report on my progress.

I was thinking about a neck P90, but didn't know if that would be possible.

Why not? If it is a matter of taste then I understand.

If it is size then just about everyone out there makes humbucker size P-90s.

I believe the Gibsons are P-94s.

GFS makes Mean 90s and Dream 90s. The great thing about the GFS is you can get very nice pickups at a reasonable cost.

If you don't like them...sell them. The most you could loose is a few bucks.

Besides, if you just tape the wires (no cutting or soldering) and don't like them, you can always exchange them for something else. At least they used to have that kind of return policy.

Anyway, the 90s do have a great rounded tone if it suits your taste. Very nice for the blues.

Willy

A nice round tone is exactly what I would be looking for in the neck. I play mostly rock in the grunge vein, but I would like to learn to play blues. The neck pickup in my dot now sounds, for lack of a better term, dead. It just doesn't have anything going for it at all.

In the bridge I would want something that would work well for rhythm tones along the lines of Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Black Sabbath, etc heavier sounding rock. The bridge pickup I have now gets the job done, but it could use some more life as well. Overall I love the guitar itself. I like the size, balance, and weight, and overall feel.

A pair of Duncan '59's is great in a Dot. If you want a hotter bridge a Custom 8 (Custom with an A8 magnet) is excellent. For a neck P-90, the GFS Mean 90 has a lot of fans (the Dream 90 not so much). I don't care for Gibson's A2 HB's, like '57's; they're dark and muffled in the neck slot.

If you are fairly mechanical, this shouldn't be too difficult for you. I redid my Dot. I put a set of GFS Vintage 59s in it and I couldn't be happier. I gutted it and rewired it too. If I was going to replace the pups, I would do everything at the same time. It all depends on how much you want to spend as far as doing it yourself.

You can buy pre-wired harnesses and all you have to do is solder the pups to them and fish them through the F-hole. These are generally more expensive than doing it yourself. Personllay, I enjoy soldering everything together myself.

As far as parts are concerned, I wouldn't buy pots, jacks or switches from GFS, they are not an upgrade from the stock Epi pots. If I was getting pups from them I would order Orange Drop caps as well. Personally, I like the Alpha pots that Stewmac sells, much better quality and not much more in cost. I have found in the past that I wasn't able to get everything I needed from one source. I would definitely go with Switchcraft jacks and switches. You will need a long shaft 1/4" jack and make sure you use good shielded wire, especially from the switch to the 1/4" jack.

There are lots of guys here that can help you if you have any questions along the way. Good luck

Archived