Gibson Brands Forums

AL-355 MAESTRO TREMOLO AND TUNING

canon_mutant

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WTF!

Who the hell are you......President of The Moral Majority?

Or a relative of turkeyT?

i'm a guy who thinks that what LerxstLee said is unecessary and grossly inappropriate for a public forum. as a refresher for both you and Lerxst' date=' here's the very first thing you see when you look at the forum rules:

[i']The Gibson forums are intended for users of all ages, please take this into consideration when posting and use common sense and don't post explicit profanity.

Please show respect for all members. Remarks towards others about racism, sexism, origin, creed and handicap will NOT be tolerated and will be deleted by staff, and the poster will be warned, suspended or possibly banned. Your posts and posted images are constantly reviewed by the moderating staff. Any post or image deemed unsuitable will be edited or deleted without prior warning. The member that posted will be warned, suspended or possibly banned.[/i]

Sparky: expecting anything more than a first grade reading level from those two halfwits is too much to hope for. As for them needing refreshers, I'd suggest a rigorous course of Hooked On Phonics and some basic composition skills. Once they can read and write like third graders, THEN we could throw something complicated at them like the Gibson Forums rules.

I'd be sad if Tweedledee and/or Tweedledum were banned. Reading their bizarre, fractured English has been useful cautionary tale. Stay In School, you kids reading this forum.

take a look at his last post in response to turkeyT for evidence to the contrary.

Sparky, I would fully agree that LerxstLee's comment was uncalled for here. My quote of me saying he is a nice guy was taken out of context, for in the original post, I mentioned that I had spoken with him through PM. When we did speak through PM he was very respectful and pleasant to me. Of course we never really know who we are dealing with on these forums, now do we. If you read further back in the thread, you will read that I had said to LerxstLee that the Lifeson 355 bashing needs to stop especially from him, since as far as I know, he unloaded the guitar. Those that have a beef with this guitar can do just that. I am keeping mine and I enjoy playing it and the little volute does not bother me anymore.

Sparky' date=' I would fully agree that LerxstLee's comment was uncalled for here. My quote of me saying he is a nice guy was taken out of context, for in the original post, I mentioned that I had spoken with him through PM. When we did speak through PM he was very respectful and pleasant to me. Of course we never really know who we are dealing with on these forums, now do we. If you read further back in the thread, you will read that I had said to LerxstLee that the Lifeson 355 bashing needs to stop especially from him, since as far as I know, he unloaded the guitar. Those that have a beef with this guitar can do just that. I am keeping mine and I enjoy playing it and the little volute does not bother me anymore. [/quote']

no problems...you've been a good source of info and a credit to this forum. the Lerxst issue has been addressed by Gibson.

Thanks' date='

Just wanted to make sure that I was not perceived as condoning this type of behavior. Now, on to the Dark Fire![/quote']

I was almost getting sorry I brought up. :-$

Just finished playing AL-230. Gotta admit, the luthier did it good. It's a keeper. I still think these guitars at these prices should be leaving the custom shop in that condition though. I really don't think that's too much to ask especially for the kinda money we're talking here.

Shame to see LerxstLee get banned over this. I got some very good info from him through PM and some on these threads as well. Generally don't like to see people censored period. But, we do have a wide audience here where some comments probably aren't appropriate.

Censorship is such an ugly and dangerous thing!

Good job Sparky!

For the record, if you had really been following all of LerxstLee posts, all this time, then surely you would have seen the constant BS that he took from a certain member here. When the discussion started to get heated between a few of us and Admin.....a certain member decided that we should all stop discussing the guitar, simply because he liked his. I'm so happy that member T got a good one......a few of us didn't. But member T had decided for all of us, that it was no longer to be discussed unless you only had something good to say about it. Isn't that what this board is for? To discuss the good, the bad, and the ugly of Gibson's guitars. I thought this place was called Gibson Forums.....not Gibson Shangri-La! I think LerxstLee just finally came to his boiling point when it came to this particular member being a rude a$$hole. I think there are a few of us that have grown very weary and tired of this certain members condescending attitude. Most are afraid to speak up.....those who do, get banned, or worst yet.....censored. I really just don't think LerxstLee was making a "Homophobic" statement in the literal sense. Now maybe that phrase offended you, or others........but lets not paint this to be something other than what it is.

Censorship is such an ugly and dangerous thing!

Good job Sparky!

For the record' date=' if you had really been following all of LerxstLee posts, all this time, then surely you would have seen the constant BS that he took from a certain member here. When the discussion started to get heated between a few of us and Admin.....a certain member decided that we should all stop discussing the guitar, simply because he liked his. I'm so happy that member T got a good one......a few of us didn't. But member T had decided for all of us, that it was no longer to be discussed unless you only had something good to say about it. Isn't that what this board is for? To discuss the good, the bad, and the ugly of Gibson's guitars. I thought this place was called Gibson Forums.....not Gibson Shangri-La! I think LerxstLee just finally came to his boiling point when it came to this particular member being a rude a$$hole. I think there are a few of us that have grown very weary and tired of this certain members condescending attitude. Most are afraid to speak up.....those who do, get banned, or worst yet.....censored. I really just don't think LerxstLee was making a "Homophobic" statement in the literal sense. Now maybe that phrase offended you, or others........but lets not paint this to be something other than what it is.

[/quote']

Please provide proof of the censorship you claim is so rampant here. do you have a list of the users who have been banned or (ooo...scary!) censored?

also, please stop trying to defend the indefensible...it just makes you look bad.

Please provide proof of the censorship you claim is so rampant here. do you have a list of the users who have been banned or (ooo...scary!) censored?

also' date=' please stop trying to defend the indefensible...it just makes you look bad.[/quote']

Please.........God Bless you sparky.....and TurkeyT too! God bless everyone!

You all have a Merry Christmas!

PS, No I don't care if saying "Merry Christmas" offends anyone! :D

PJLCC14 has been hassling me with private messages. I'd post them here but they aren't funny enough. I've asked him to try harder. He's definitely trying to come off as a hardass and is trying to bully me off the board (the first one started with "listen sonny...." - how awesome is that?). It's even lamer than what he posts here in public.

Dimwits like this really don't like having their opinion questioned. When it happens, they feel they aren't being "allowed" to say what they want. It's a really childish view of the world. Seriously dude - have some dignity.

I apologize to everyone else here -- watching me swat these flies must be getting boring...

I've really been enjoying my Axcess the past few weeks, but after playing it for a few hours, I usually end up pulling out my AL in search of the huge tones that only that guitar seems to deliver. I wish Gibson made the '57 Classic pickups with 4-conductor wiring so I could put a set in my Axcess & still maintain the coil-splitting capabilities. The more I play these guitars, the more I wish I could have some sort of hybrid of the two of them - the tone of the AL combined with the overall comfort and the Floyd Rose trem from the Axcess.

I switched to a roller bridge on my Bigsby equipped Gretsch Duojet and Epiphone 'Jorma' Riviera because of tuning problems. The Riviera stays in tune and the Gretsch does better but has much cheaper tuners that need to be replaced. Make sure the nut is cut right and lubricated with graphite or teflon and the roller bridge will make a lot of difference. The tuners need to be stable or locking and the final mod is a roller nut... Good luck.

I've really been enjoying my Axcess the past few weeks' date=' but after playing it for a few hours, I usually end up pulling out my AL in search of the huge tones that only that guitar seems to deliver. I wish Gibson made the '57 Classic pickups with 4-conductor wiring so I could put a set in my Axcess & still maintain the coil-splitting capabilities. The more I play these guitars, the more I wish I could have some sort of hybrid of the two of them - the tone of the AL combined with the overall comfort and the Floyd Rose trem from the Axcess.[/quote']

I have been enjoying both guitars as well. I played Hemispheres Cygnus X-1 Book II last night for a while. The Lifeson stayed in tune and sounds incredible on that song. For those that know the song, there is quite a lot of work being done around the first fret, some fingering and some chords. The volute did not hinder my playing at all.

Now, for the Axcess, this is another great guitar. Unfortunately, the end of my strap, with a strap lock hit the top of my guitar when I was taking it off and left a ding in the finish. Oh well, gotta happen sometime. That is the thing I don't like about a gloss finish, little dings tend to glare at you. With a VOS finish, a ding just naturally blends into the finish and looks like it should be there. I am sure as the finish gets old, that ding will just blend right in. Now, I will just play the hell out of it.

I've really been enjoying my Axcess the past few weeks' date=' but after playing it for a few hours, I usually end up pulling out my AL in search of the huge tones that only that guitar seems to deliver. I wish Gibson made the '57 Classic pickups with 4-conductor wiring so I could put a set in my Axcess & still maintain the coil-splitting capabilities. The more I play these guitars, the more I wish I could have some sort of hybrid of the two of them - the tone of the AL combined with the overall comfort and the Floyd Rose trem from the Axcess.[/quote']I agree the AL has a very unique and intoxicating tone. I love the Axcess too but it is brighter than the AL when the tone pots are wide open, I've ended up rolling the tone pot back a few notches on the Axcess for certain songs and that sounds more like the 57s. The Axcess really is a versatile Axe with the coil taps and Floyd, and with that tonal pallette as well as the AL with it's Varitone combinations, I am enjoying a variety of vintage and modern tones that is very satisfying. I definitely agree, though, that Gibson should do a 57 Classic that can be coil-tapped. I think that would be the ultimate pup.

Thank god your talking about guitars again !

I bought a new guitar the other day and it was not a gibson, I just wanted all to know I'm very happy with the New/Used single cutaway prs I purchased that plays so awesome right out of the box.

I want to point out the fact that I would have bought a lp axcess but I have to stand by my word of owning no more gibsons.

Feeling a bit taken back by what happened after purchasing AL253i'm sure their are many like me.

I have to agree with wondo on the fact that My bigal is getting alot of playing cause it still sounds and plays sweet.

I agree with this message......Scuba

Thank god your talking about guitars again !

I bought a new guitar the other day and it was not a gibson' date=' I just wanted all to know I'm very happy with the New/Used single cutaway prs I purchased that plays so awesome right out of the box.

I want to point out the fact that I would have bought a lp axcess but I have to stand by my word of owning no more gibsons.

Feeling a bit taken back by what happened after purchasing AL253i'm sure their are many like me.

I have to agree with wondo on the fact that My bigal is getting alot of playing cause it still sounds and plays sweet.

I agree with this message......Scuba

[/quote']I can understand that totally. PRS really has their act together when it comes to top quality on every guitar that leaves the factory. I have owned several PRS guitars over the years and still have a HBII with the piezo system that is just a work of art and sounds incredible as an acoustic/electric blend. Every time I pick it up it takes my breath away how well that guitar was built...flawless. Not one minute detail isn't completely perfect. I have never owned a Gibson (and there have been many) that were that perfect in every detail.

To me buying a Gibson, wether new or used, is like buying a used exotic foreign sportscar (not that I have experience in that arena, but my brother does and I can tell you it is an expensive and sometimes frustrating labor of love). You have to pearl dive a bit to find the right feel and tone in a good example, then you can't just bring her home and expect everything to work great all the time. You have to tinker and finese a bit to keep finding that perfect setup and get into that "sweet spot". But when you do it's a heck of an axe with monster tone. I like playing Gibsons too much to say I'd boycott them forever, but I agree that for the price every unit should be perfect and things like the volute should never happen. I just wince a bit, do my setup work and move on to enjoying the guitar. The Axcess is really a cool concept and a pleasure to play once set up right. I'm still comfortable with trading my Custom-22 for it. It's not better than the PRS, just different and I was ready for a change.

I am glad I sold my CS 356 for the Axcess. It has so much more versatility with the coil tapping and of course the Floyd. I was a bit upset the other day when I put a ding in it with the strap lock hitting the top, but the 356 I sold had the same kind of surface indentation in almost the same spot. I thought that was weird karma. It was as it was meant to be an even trade. But, I bought the Axcess to be played, and played alot, so dings are part of the territory. I am one who thinks a Les Paul with some nice aging characteristics is much more beautiful than a pristine show piece. I love the Axcess. I had mine professionally set up and it is sick how well this thing plays.

As for the AL. I played it for a few hours again today. I gotta tell you, that guitar just gets better each time I play it. The action on the neck is so wonderful and slinky and it sounds sooooooo good. The volute is really a non issue now. Funny how things bother us at first (and I am still not happy that Gibson did it and worse did nothing about it), but now, I am over it and loving playing that guitar!

I am glad I sold my CS 356 for the Axcess. It has so much more versatility with the coil tapping and of course the Floyd. I was a bit upset the other day when I put a ding in it with the strap lock hitting the top' date=' but the 356 I sold had the same kind of surface indentation in almost the same spot. I thought that was weird karma. It was as it was meant to be an even trade. But, I bought the Axcess to be played, and played alot, so dings are part of the territory. I am one who thinks a Les Paul with some nice aging characteristics is much more beautiful than a pristine show piece. I love the Axcess. I had mine professionally set up and it is sick how well this thing plays.

As for the AL. I played it for a few hours again today. I gotta tell you, that guitar just gets better each time I play it. The action on the neck is so wonderful and slinky and it sounds sooooooo good. The volute is really a non issue now. Funny how things bother us at first (and I am still not happy that Gibson did it and worse did nothing about it), but now, I am over it and loving playing that guitar![/quote']

Actually, now that it will stay in tune, I have found that AL-230 isn't getting better every time I play it, I am actually getting better because of it. Perhaps because it is such a tone monster, I have found it to be less forgiving than other axes which has made me really focus and even alter some of my technique [or lack thereof], which in turn ends up putting a smile on my face through improved sweetness. That's what playing music should be about.

As for the Axcess, I'd like to have one too but ended up getting the Carvin CS6 in absolute eye candy flamed KOA with the Floyd and coil splitters for <$2K. No regrets. Saving the difference to put into the Gibson LP pile in hopes of picking up a 50th R9 next year. That will require the economy and some stock options to turn around dramatically though.

Like I've said before, it's the premium that Gibsons demand that had me so frustrated when they leave the custom shop with obvious flaws [mostly corrected now] like AL-230 did. I still love how my "black" pickguard was deemed "tortoise" by the custom shop because it was "shaped right" for a tortoise. They just won't admit to any wrong which is another way of saying you're not standing behind your product. Since I personally like the looks of the black pickguard on the guitar, I didn't press the issue further.

Well, I sold AL107 to huge Lifeson fan and feel really good about it. It was just sitting the case not getting played. My Al was perfect with no issues mentioned here, except of course the mis-placed volute. I have a 93 Tobacco Burst ES335 and an Alpine White Les Paul Custom to cover all the Rush tunes. The problem was AL was too nice to play and a good bit heavier than I like. I also prefer stop tailpieces. Give me 15 year, old worn in ES335 and I'm good to go! Gibson, thanks for taking a stab at the AL! It was fun!

You should take a look over at the Dark Fire threads. Gibson Forums>Dark Fire>Gibson Called Many new DF owners complained of multiple problems with the guitar and Gibson actually called all of the owners personally to ask what they could do. They got their numbers from their warranty registration. Now, why could they not have done this with us? We raised as much of a stink and for a long time. Looking back, even if Gibson could not have done anything, a call would at least have been some consolation. I guess they only made 300 Lifesons, got their money and moved on. With the Dark Fire, this is Henry's brain child and sees it as the future of guitars, so he wants people to quiet down on the forum I am sure.

I don't know if any of you seen this video but I'm sure Gibson did everything on the Lifeson as they did on the Eric Clapton Crossroads Gibson 335.;) Yea Right!!!!

Check it out.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4764707652331081865

Thanks for posting this Crappy, Obviously the AL didn't get quite the same attention to design detail as the Clapton but this is a very cool video that I've never seen before. Watching this, it makes it even more puzzling how the volute on the AL was made the way it was, it seems almost impossible that such a major difference from the original could be missed when so many people are checking the feel and profile of the neck during the manufacturing process. The video is from 2006, but surely some or all of those folks must still work at Gibson Custom Shop and I'll bet at least several of them could tell us what happened with the AL volute.

I still love playing AL124 as much as any guitar I own and have no issues with the volute other than the fact it is not historically accurate, and hope we can all refrain from more flame-throwing at Gibson over this beat-to-death subject. But seeing the video does clear up how Gibson approaches these artist inspired models, and certainly adds more puzzlement to the AL issues.

If only we could corner the cast of this video in a sealed room for an hour! That would be

Archived