Gibson Brands Forums

Froggy Bottom SJ

GotTheSilver

I've played a few Froggy Bottom guitars in the past and always was very impressed. Just found out they have been making a model called the "SJ" for about three years now. The SJ is based on a Gibson Southern Jumbo. Curious if anyone here has played one and how it compares to a Gibson SJ?

I've played a few Froggy Bottom guitars in the past and always was very impressed. Just found out they have been making a model called the "SJ" for about three years now. The SJ is based on a Gibson Southern Jumbo. Curious if anyone here has played one and how it compares to a Gibson SJ?

Only thing I read on their page is that Michael Millard in 1968 saw a sailor walk into a pawn shop with something in his hands

it was covered in a pillow case and when he uncovered it turned out to be a Gibson SJ . well worn he says

Every Froggy I've ever played was just fantastic sounding....but they are so lightly braced that I would be concerned with longevity......part of their charm I guess...

Martin copies I am guessing? Cause that would mean it was done "right".

If it ain't headed for a neck re-set out of the box, then it ain't built like a true Martin.

*not knocking Martin..they sound like they do for a reason.

I played a couple Froggy in NYC but didnt find them like Martin at all.

What I did find is that they were so hyper sensitive to touch and so resonant that it was just waay over the top for me. Basically didnt know how to handle that little frog.

I think for fingerstylists it would be ideal and Im guessing they were created with this genre in mind, but not my cup of tea, I need a bit of meat on the bone .. ;-)

Archived