Gibson Brands Forums

The Stone Roses

EVOL!

The Stone Roses are getting back together and doing an album. Pretty excited.

I don't know... I'm a bit wary of these huge, hyped up reunions :-k . Don't get me wrong, I'm a massive fan of the Stone Roses. But starting with two shows at Heaton Park? It's just too big!!! Something like 70,000 people per show!! I was there 2009 at one of the Oasis gigs and it was a festival atmosphere, but the sound was pretty crap. More like an "event" than a concert!

I would love to see the Roses start of again with much less hype, play some smaller venues and get their chops back... But I suppose if the demand is there???

I saw them twice in 1989. First one in the June at a small venue(very good), the second time in November at Alexandra Palace in London(terrible sound and a half - cooked performance). I went off them very swiftly after that. However, when I heard yesterdays news I got strangely excited - even though I reckon they're gonna be cr@p. Perhaps I'm yearning for times past and not the music.

I understand the hesitation to get excited considering how bad John Squire's post Stone Roses work was, but I have faith in that Mani and Ian Brown have been keeping up their chops in Primal Scream and solo, respectively. The big question for me is Reni. To me he was the under recognized je ne sais quoi; those drum beats and backing vocals saved them from being just an average band.

I understand the hesitation to get excited considering how bad John Squire's post Stone Roses work was, but I have faith in that Mani and Ian Brown have been keeping up their chops in Primal Scream and solo, respectively. The big question for me is Reni. To me he was the under recognized je ne sais quoi; those drum beats and backing vocals saved them from being just an average band.

Despite the poor lyrics and weak (lead) vocals, they had something. Namely Reni. He certainly wasn't under recognised in this neck of the woods. There were plenty of floppy sunhats like Reni's in 1989.

Despite the poor lyrics and weak (lead) vocals, they had something. Namely Reni. He certainly wasn't under recognised in this neck of the woods. There were plenty of floppy sunhats like Reni's in 1989.

Yeah, maybe it was just here in the States. We have very little sight into what goes on over there musically.

Archived