Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Guitar Project

Frakenstrat

Hello everyone. I've been thinking for awhile now about starting a little project guitar. I was planning on getting an Epiphone Les Paul Jr. and replacing the humbucker w/ a T.V. Jones humbucker along with the tuners. Does anyone else have any questions or advice for me? I'm more of a Fender guy, but wanna try something new without throwing a huge chunk of change into it. Does this sound like the right way to go? Humnbucker wise? Thanks!

If you put a TV Jones in, it would be a first on this forum AFAIK, so I say go for it.

The typical $100 Epi Juniors come with an el-cheapo humbucker now. Makes a good fridge magnet.

The discontinued Epi LP Junior '57 Reissues came with a P100, a stacked humbucker dressed up to look like a P90.

Post pics as you go.

I would put a P90 pickup in it.

They sound awesome and most juniors come with P90's.

The humbucker would also be cool but I love the sound of P90 pickups.

I was thinking about puting a P90 in it, but they (all the Epi. Jr.s) come with humbuckers instead of P90s. I did a little research and by my findings it wouldn't fit. I could be totally wrong though.

Anyone have any ideas for a humbucker other than a T.V Jones? Or should I try andfind a smaller P90 that will fit. I know I've seen some before.

p90humbcompare22eh.jpg

Looks like this one would work good. Though I'm now thinking about getting a Epi LP Jr. Special II. And put two of these (Seymour Duncan SPH90-1 Phat Cat P90 Single-Coil Pickup) in there.

PhatCat.jpg

If you are buying a Jr. with a humbucker in it why not put a humbucker size p-90 in it?

That is if a P-90 is what you decide you want.

Willy

Edit: LOL...You edited this part in while I was posting my response.

Though I'm now thinking about getting a Epi LP Jr. Special II. And put two of these (Seymour Duncan SPH90-1 Phat Cat P90 Single-Coil Pickup) in there.

Hang on a second and I'll be back with a pic.

LPSpecial.jpg

My grandson's Special II. We put mean 90's and a pickguard on it.

I am not sure if the TV Jones will fit. I got a pair for a Epi project I was working on ( a EA-250) but the TV's were just a little to small to fit.

and for $280.00 bucks it was a expensive failure.

You could buy adapter pickuprings, they're on TV Jones webpage, should work fine when installing Filtertrons on a normal humbucker guitar…

Here's a shot of my Epi Junior with a GFS Dream 90 pickup (humbucker-sized P-90 clone) and Tusq nut installed. The difference in sound between the stock configuration (cheapo humbucker, plastic nut) and this upgrade is dramatic and she sings sweetly now-

jr1.jpg

My next upgrades will be a new capacitor and tuners, although I haven't had any tuning issues whatsoever since the nut swap. Removing the shims in the neck, sanding out the pocket, and reattaching the neck for that tight wood-on-wood mating is another good thing to do with these Juniors. I love this guitar!

Archived