Gibson Brands Forums

Crybaby help

EvoRider

I got a GCB-95 on a trade, not bad for $45 but it needs some modding for sure.

Mine does not get along with the hot pickups of my Explorer or with any guitar played through my Fender Super Camp XD, sounds thin and harsh.

Yeah i gave 30 bucks for mine at Guitar center and i figured what the crap i would give it a try.. But it does sound thin and harsh on mine too..

Hot pickups can 'diminish' a wah's basic design paramiters.....The mods may help....Try out other wahs as well, there's many out there...........

There's nothing wrong with buying gear sight unseen or untried.........Just re-sell it, or do what I do; let it gather dust for future use....................

Remember as well TNTROY, threads sometimes get jammed up a bit with long term feuds and hidden trolling.....Surrounding those posts are

always good useful posts with key information.....

Well i am bad about buying something before buying it i dont like playing in front of people yet i have just started playing guitar a few months ago. But years ago i played bass in a band.. A wah pedal is new to me and i figured dunlap is a good starting point.. But thanks for finding the link.. I also found one called Stinkfoot wah mods and i plan on trying them... And yes a am pretty handy with a soldering iron.. I use to race rc cars a few years ago... But again thanks for the help...

Dude don't be embarrassed you have to try stuff like that out before you buy it even if it's $30. You should be able to mod it to sound really good for pretty cheap so it's not a lost cause.

Hello, Fellow Babies,

You know, I think the whole problem here is testosterone. In my experience, it seems to me that we men have a problem communicating because we can't keep our testosterone levels in control. I cannot think of any subject I've ever heard discussed where guys can't get into serious, angry arguments over some ensy, tensy, tiny little difference. And it is almost always the case that the people who get the loudest and angriest have the least information to work with.

Cases-in-point: motorcycle urban myths: I have ridden motorcycles all my life, I've a been a hobby mechanic, I built, wired, and painted a Honda 750 chopper, I also own an 1100 Shadow, and I worked in a Honda motorcycle shop, mechanic and parts guy for years and --- I cannot tell you how many guys....

• came into the shop determined to buy the next hottest spark plug for their bike on the assumption that it would somehow spark the gas to a higher ignition for greater pick up and top end. Nope, just caused more heat than the bike's cooling capacity was designed to dissipate, and long term, would eat the cylinder heads and pistons.

• A know-it-all wants a smaller final-drive gear on his rear wheel because he •knows• he'll get more top end. He doesn't want to hear any discussion. Without a racing cam, bigger cylinders, an exhaust scavenging system and a few hundred extra dollars spent beefing up the rest of the engine, he'll get is a bike that no longer has the power to accelerate - at all - in top gear. If he gets any improvement in top end it will be by racing to maximum output at the next lower gear, and when he shifts up, the engine is not likely to have the power to maintain the speed that was achieved before the shift because the engine hasn't got the horsepower to use the mechanical leverage the smaller gear has lost to the stock gear.

• Tyro mechanic has read the latest DIY motorcycle magazine article, has disassembled the engine, and finally calls our shop and wants a step-by-step explanation to re-assemble the engine and tune his timing chain --- over the phone.

• Can't even begin to tell you how many guys are determined to special order a part, but get mad when I need his bike's serial number. They can't seem to grasp that over the years Honda has put out nearly 300 models from 50 to 750ccs; many share common parts, but that still leaves thousands of parts that cannot be identified without a serial number from the bike. Sometimes the same bike model has different parts for different years: it might be an upgrade, it might be that the parts are supplied by a different contractor. But for crying out loud, Honda has built about 40 different models over thirty years using a 50cc engine; and the last time I looked, they use seven different shaped and styled parts to send the spark to the plugs -- not interchangeable. But most guys took it as an insult to their manhood that I would demand a serial number before ordering.

• most amusing case of amateur mechanical work -- guy brings his motorcycle to the shop -- couldn't get it to idle properly, no power for acceleration, and demanding we get it right cause it's still under warrantee -- or else. Turns out bozo owner noticed the overflow valves at the bottom of the gravity feed carburetors are nearly the same size and shape as the condensation valves at the bottom of the exhaust pipes that allow collected moisture drip out before rusting the mufflers. We couldn't imagine what he thought he was accomplishing -- he got plastic gas lines complete with small hose clamps, and very carefully connected each plastic line with one end to the carburetor overflow valve to the matching exhaust pipe condensation valve. He worked carefully and the pipes were neatly tucked inboard, under the frame, over the tranny, and up to the carbs. The bike would barely idle, and twisting the gas handle for more gas was blowing 1000 degrees of hot exhaust up through the carbs. Fortunately most of the exhaust was flowing freely through the exhaust... I don't know why we didn't blow up the shop....

• Honda motorcycles doesn't make many mistakes. Thousands of hours of planning by engineers and PHds, lots of strategy by Marketing. Even so, some things just don't click. The 750 K was the first superbike, and sold in the millions. In the first year. It was so popular that the engineers quickly introduced another, tamed down, smaller in-line 4 -- a 500cc model. It was a delight -- at really low speeds it handled with the grace of a bicycle, but still had plenty of acceleration. On the same reasoning they marketed a 350 cc in-line 4. Like the 500 it was graceful, handled predictably, and was extremely dependable, but sales really slumped. Because lets face it, speed sells. Turns out any of Honda's 350cc two cylinder models could beat the 350 in-line 4 for acceleration. So the production line for the 350s weren't wasted, the engineers retooled things so the 350 in-line 4s engine case was re-engineered and bored and milled to make 650cc models. The same engine. But I've had a guy try to tell me that he had modified the same 350 engine to manage over 1000ccs. Right. Even if it were possible to mate 1000ccs of cylinders to 350 engine cases, crankshaft, and tranny -- designed to handle the power of a motorcycle 1/2 the size -- who would be fool to throw a leg over that engine and rev it under a load?

So in almost any endeavor you're gonna hear plenty that you can disagree with. But I've heard nothing here to match the BS I've heard around motorcycles. Okay I see that I'm not talking guitars, but I wanted to express why I quit working in a motorcycle shop. I've been nucking futs about motorcycles since I was five or six years old. From the day I saw and heard my first motorcycle and burned my finger on the exhaust. But I just got really sick of dealing with know-it-all jackasses... They were willing to try anything, but asking questions or learning engineering. And they slowly just sapped the fun out of working around fellow bikers and motorcycles. I mean, what's the point of learning a lot about a subject, and then the very people who could profit and learn my experience are totally close-minded and determined to make suicidal "improvements" in their bike?

And there's nothing so important here that we need to be at each other's throats. We are all guitar nuts here. Remember, your family may not share your interest in guitars, in fact, they may be sick-to-death of hearing about it. Might be you cannot get your wife or brother to come listen to your band unless you wear a pork chop around your neck while driving them to the club and buying their dinners and drinks, . You might not be able to even casually mention getting another guitar without your wife freaking out. This is one of the few places where you can discuss all aspects of the guitar and get a friendly audience. No need for me to freak-out if somebody disagrees. I mean, lately on some questions some of you defend and stake out your position as if you were some sort of world-wide known, acknowledged, Segovia Grand Master of tone, distortion, and foot pedals who's opinion NOBODY dares question. What's up with that? Ideally, this was meant to be a forum where we could exchange ideas, not attack someone because he didn't express an opinion that supported and affirmed your own.

Hello, Fellow Babies,

You know, I think the whole problem here is testosterone. In my experience, it seems to me that we men have a problem communicating because we can't keep our testosterone levels in control. I cannot think of any subject I've ever heard discussed where guys can't get into serious, angry arguments over some ensy, tensy, tiny little difference. And it is almost always the case that the people who get the loudest and angriest have the least information to work with.

Cases-in-point: motorcycle urban myths: I have ridden motorcycles all my life, I've a been a hobby mechanic, I built, wired, and painted a Honda 750 chopper, I also own an 1100 Shadow, and I worked in a Honda motorcycle shop, mechanic and parts guy for years and --- I cannot tell you how many guys....

• came into the shop determined to buy the next hottest spark plug for their bike on the assumption that it would somehow spark the gas to a higher ignition for greater pick up and top end. Nope, just caused more heat than the bike's cooling capacity was designed to dissipate, and long term, would eat the cylinder heads and pistons.

• A know-it-all wants a smaller final-drive gear on his rear wheel because he •knows• he'll get more top end. He doesn't want to hear any discussion. Without a racing cam, bigger cylinders, an exhaust scavenging system and a few hundred extra dollars spent beefing up the rest of the engine, he'll get is a bike that no longer has the power to accelerate - at all - in top gear. If he gets any improvement in top end it will be by racing to maximum output at the next lower gear, and when he shifts up, the engine is not likely to have the power to maintain the speed that was achieved before the shift because the engine hasn't got the horsepower to use the mechanical leverage the smaller gear has lost to the stock gear.

• Tyro mechanic has read the latest DIY motorcycle magazine article, has disassembled the engine, and finally calls our shop and wants a step-by-step explanation to re-assemble the engine and tune his timing chain --- over the phone.

• Can't even begin to tell you how many guys are determined to special order a part, but get mad when I need his bike's serial number. They can't seem to grasp that over the years Honda has put out nearly 300 models from 50 to 750ccs; many share common parts, but that still leaves thousands of parts that cannot be identified without a serial number from the bike. Sometimes the same bike model has different parts for different years: it might be an upgrade, it might be that the parts are supplied by a different contractor. But for crying out loud, Honda has built about 40 different models over thirty years using a 50cc engine; and the last time I looked, they use seven different shaped and styled parts to send the spark to the plugs -- not interchangeable. But most guys took it as an insult to their manhood that I would demand a serial number before ordering.

• most amusing case of amateur mechanical work -- guy brings his motorcycle to the shop -- couldn't get it to idle properly, no power for acceleration, and demanding we get it right cause it's still under warrantee -- or else. Turns out bozo owner noticed the overflow valves at the bottom of the gravity feed carburetors are nearly the same size and shape as the condensation valves at the bottom of the exhaust pipes that allow collected moisture drip out before rusting the mufflers. We couldn't imagine what he thought he was accomplishing -- he got plastic gas lines complete with small hose clamps, and very carefully connected each plastic line with one end to the carburetor overflow valve to the matching exhaust pipe condensation valve. He worked carefully and the pipes were neatly tucked inboard, under the frame, over the tranny, and up to the carbs. The bike would barely idle, and twisting the gas handle for more gas was blowing 1000 degrees of hot exhaust up through the carbs. Fortunately most of the exhaust was flowing freely through the exhaust... I don't know why we didn't blow up the shop....

• Honda motorcycles doesn't make many mistakes. Thousands of hours of planning by engineers and PHds, lots of strategy by Marketing. Even so, some things just don't click. The 750 K was the first superbike, and sold in the millions. In the first year. It was so popular that the engineers quickly introduced another, tamed down, smaller in-line 4 -- a 500cc model. It was a delight -- at really low speeds it handled with the grace of a bicycle, but still had plenty of acceleration. On the same reasoning they marketed a 350 cc in-line 4. Like the 500 it was graceful, handled predictably, and was extremely dependable, but sales really slumped. Because lets face it, speed sells. Turns out any of Honda's 350cc two cylinder models could beat the 350 in-line 4 for acceleration. So the production line for the 350s weren't wasted, the engineers retooled things so the 350 in-line 4s engine case was re-engineered and bored and milled to make 650cc models. The same engine. But I've had a guy try to tell me that he had modified the same 350 engine to manage over 1000ccs. Right. Even if it were possible to mate 1000ccs of cylinders to 350 engine cases, crankshaft, and tranny -- designed to handle the power of a motorcycle 1/2 the size -- who would be fool to throw a leg over that engine and rev it under a load?

So in almost any endeavor you're gonna hear plenty that you can disagree with. But I've heard nothing here to match the BS I've heard around motorcycles. Okay I see that I'm not talking guitars, but I wanted to express why I quit working in a motorcycle shop. I've been nucking futs about motorcycles since I was five or six years old. From the day I saw and heard my first motorcycle and burned my finger on the exhaust. But I just got really sick of dealing with know-it-all jackasses... They were willing to try anything, but asking questions or learning engineering. And they slowly just sapped the fun out of working around fellow bikers and motorcycles. I mean, what's the point of learning a lot about a subject, and then the very people who could profit and learn my experience are totally close-minded and determined to make suicidal "improvements" in their bike?

And there's nothing so important here that we need to be at each other's throats. We are all guitar nuts here. Remember, your family may not share your interest in guitars, in fact, they may be sick-to-death of hearing about it. Might be you cannot get your wife or brother to come listen to your band unless you wear a pork chop around your neck while driving them to the club and buying their dinners and drinks, . You might not be able to even casually mention getting another guitar without your wife freaking out. This is one of the few places where you can discuss all aspects of the guitar and get a friendly audience. No need for me to freak-out if somebody disagrees. I mean, lately on some questions some of you defend and stake out your position as if you were some sort of world-wide known, acknowledged, Segovia Grand Master of tone, distortion, and foot pedals who's opinion NOBODY dares question. What's up with that? Ideally, this was meant to be a forum where we could exchange ideas, not attack someone because he didn't express an opinion that supported and affirmed your own.

Cool.. My first bike is a 1976 cb750 honda that i still ride. It is far from being stock but i wouldnt sale it for any amount of money.... But yesterday i was at guitar center and i found the wah i want it is the Ibanez wheeping demon wd7 I must have it... So i am going to just sell both my gcb-95 and my 105q... i guess i just not a dunlop man....[confused]

Good choice. If I could only have one wah pedal it would be the WD7. But I can have 6 wah pedals ...so I do [thumbup]

yea now if i can only sell both my crybaby gcb-95 and the 105Q bass wah... Not having much luck so far....

You could look for a Seventies Jen CryBaby. The Dunlop Wah's are largely poor imitations of that unit. Jen were the Italian made Thomas Organ/Vox pedals. I picked up a 67 Fuzz Wah for £50.

Not overly expensive for the real deal pedal that all the others are trying to be like. Not a great fuzz but the wah is divine. The dedicated Wah's seem to go from £50 all the way up to £400. Depending of course on condition.

The fasel can have an impact however on the GCB circuit I got greater results changing the input capacitor. I swapped the little power input capacitor to a 1uf capacitor on my old Dunlop and got a good result from it. For a lot less money than the (over)price of a new fasel.

gcb95.jpg

The blue capacitor in the bottom right of the picture.

The gain and bass response of the pedal increased quite drastically. In truth it was a bit much so you may want to go with a lower value capacitor. I gave the wah to my bands bassist. He loves it the gain and bass response suit a bass down to the ground. Just make sure you orient the capacitor the right way round. Negative side pointing up the board.

Hope you get it sorted.

You could look for a Seventies Jen CryBaby. The Dunlop Wah's are largely poor imitations of that unit. Jen were the Italian made Thomas Organ/Vox pedals. I picked up a 67 Fuzz Wah for £50.

Not overly expensive for the real deal pedal that all the others are trying to be like. Not a great fuzz but the wah is divine. The dedicated Wah's seem to go from £50 all the way up to £400. Depending of course on condition.

The fasel can have an impact however on the GCB circuit I got greater results changing the input capacitor. I swapped the little power input capacitor to a 1uf capacitor on my old Dunlop and got a good result from it. For a lot less money than the (over)price of a new fasel.

gcb95.jpg

The blue capacitor in the bottom right of the picture.

The gain and bass response of the pedal increased quite drastically. In truth it was a bit much so you may want to go with a lower value capacitor. I gave the wah to my bands bassist. He loves it the gain and bass response suit a bass down to the ground. Just make sure you orient the capacitor the right way round. Negative side pointing up the board.

Hope you get it sorted.

Thanks for the help .. But i have already ordered me a Ibanez wheeping demon.. [biggrin] Now i just have to sell my crybaby..:-k .

:-k

Archived