Gibson Brands Forums

fleet foxes

Silenced Fred

I'm pretty ignorant about pickups for acoustics, what are some decent ones?

I love the LR Baggs M1 pickup, its like 125 and still have yet to buy myself one... probably with the purchase of a better acoustic, but IMO, it is the best sounding one out there and I see lots of pros use em (including Dallas Green and Jeff Tweedy, but Tweedy has a ton of different acoustic pickups in his guitars, so you never know with that guy)

I have a super cheap Seymour Duncan one I got used for 20 bucks, and they retail for like 35. It transfers sound fine, might not have the best tone, but meh

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I've got a big onespot daisy chain combo. The acoustic is finally done (he just sent me an e-mail yesterday) I just don't have the time to make a 5 hour round trip during business hours until the week after Thanksgiving so I'll be going to pick it up after that. I'll either update the pawn shop thread with the after pics or just add it to my Sonic Thread. I'm getting more excited about that fuzz by the day.

Alright cool. I was just making sure because I didn't wire in a battery snap. It's just more practical and "greener" to use a power supply.

It should be done this thursday so you'll have it very soon!

The acoustic in question is a Martin right? What kind of repairs did you have done?

Alright cool. I was just making sure because I didn't wire in a battery snap. It's just more practical and "greener" to use a power supply.

It should be done this thursday so you'll have it very soon!

The acoustic in question is a Martin right? What kind of repairs did you have done?

'64 Gibson LG1. New rosewood bridge/pins, bracings fixed, frets crowned/polished, heel pin (I'm not worried about resale), and a set up.

That's awesome sounds like it will be a sweet player. Didn't the Beatles play those?

Honestly on that I'm not sure, I found it in the storage area of a guy I know's pawn shop and he let me have it for a hundred bucks. I just liked how it played.

I was just wondering because I looked up that model (I dunno **** about acoustics) and it looks just like the model John played all the time.

I think those '60s Gibson acoustics are the greatest though. I love the necks and chimey sounds you get with some light strings.

Sounds like you got an amazing deal. I hope I can find a deal like that someday.

I was definitely lucky that's for sure, some old lady had come and pawned it off a couple years ago for $25 bucks or so and never came back to pick it up. I seriously never expected such a find, I love the sound of it.

Edit: Doing a minimal amount of Google research the only Gibson acoustics John seemed to play were J160Es, of course I'm not a super knowledgeable source on the Beatles so others might contradict me.

I was definitely lucky that's for sure, some old lady had come and pawned it off a couple years ago for $25 bucks or so and never came back to pick it up. I seriously never expected such a find, I love the sound of it.

Edit: Doing a minimal amount of Google research the only Gibson acoustics John seemed to play were J160Es, of course I'm not a super knowledgeable source on the Beatles so others might contradict me.

Ahh yeah the J160E is what I was thinking about. I've seen him play others but that seems to have been his main squeeze as far as acoustics go.

I think I would have bought the guitar even if I didn't like it. At that price you could easily just flip it but I think it's much better that you're keeping it.

Fred I'll make you a green muff, or a civil war muff, or a rams head muff, or whatever you want dude. I wouldn't deter you from picking up a **** od though. You could probably make better use of a **** than a muff.

Ahh yeah the J160E is what I was thinking about. I've seen him play others but that seems to have been his main squeeze as far as acoustics go.

I think I would have bought the guitar even if I didn't like it. At that price you could easily just flip it but I think it's much better that you're keeping it.

Fred I'll make you a green muff, or a civil war muff, or a rams head muff, or whatever you want dude. I wouldn't deter you from picking up a **** od though. You could probably make better use of a **** than a muff.

I need an AC30 maaaaaaaannnnn

The Sunn is awesome, but IMO, its better as a plug straight in amp, doesn't take pedals so well... Well, like dynamically what I want to do with low gain OD

**** od > ac30 set loud on the edge of clean = straight up glory toanz. I've never been so happy with my sound in a band situation. I find myself hearing each note of each chord while totally rocking out at high volumes with drums and bass. It's a beautiful thing.

Don't get me wrong though I still love fuzz as much as ever.

I've got parts in the mail for an OCD clone too. I'm really curious to try some different overdrives now. Since I'm primarily a fuzz man I guess you could say I'm a little bi-curious for od hahaha

**** od > ac30 set loud on the edge of clean = straight up glory toanz. I've never been so happy with my sound in a band situation. I find myself hearing each note of each chord while totally rocking out at high volumes with drums and bass. It's a beautiful thing.

Don't get me wrong though I still love fuzz as much as ever.

I've got parts in the mail for an OCD clone too. I'm really curious to try some different overdrives now. Since I'm primarily a fuzz man I guess you could say I'm a little bi-curious for od hahaha

I hear ya. I love the Sunn, but low gain fuzzes I've had and overdrives didn't do much. It is amazing as a plug in and play amp though, and I don't think I'll ever dump it

Its like when I set the volume on 3 on the Sunn, the dynamics are outstanding, if I want clean, I pick normally, if I want natural distortion I normally switch to the bridge pickup and pick harder, but its beautiful.

I think once I get the **** along with the SHO clone you built me (<3) I'm set on overdrives

I hear ya. I love the Sunn, but low gain fuzzes I've had and overdrives didn't do much. It is amazing as a plug in and play amp though, and I don't think I'll ever dump it

Its like when I set the volume on 3 on the Sunn, the dynamics are outstanding, if I want clean, I pick normally, if I want natural distortion I normally switch to the bridge pickup and pick harder, but its beautiful.

I think once I get the **** along with the SHO clone you built me (<3) I'm set on overdrives

By the way, the best "ever"(so far..) ist to use a booster pedal like the Durham Mucho Boosto and an AC30 - i swear - you don´t need more!!!

Apparently they go together like coffee and cigarettes.

I've been wanting to try one out for a while. I'm gonna get to try the smallsound/bigsound Sparkle Motion (modded Rangemaster circuit) with my ac30 pretty soon so I guess I'll know if I "need" one after that.

From what I understand it just helps give you a tighter overdrive because it keeps the bass from getting muddy. It doesn't remove bass from the sound it just doesn't boost it. It seems pretty cool on paper.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived