Gibson Brands Forums

Damn fakes!!

Tim Plains

Because in the end we can still tell real from fake, it's in the small details,always will be something wrong with the fake, something so small they will never be able to pass a fake off as a real one. So I say give them all the corrections that need to be made, in the end they will be the ones getting screwed.

guys like us will be able to tell.... but the average person won't.

the kid that cut all of those lawns to buy one' date=' he won't. [/quote']

Your missing the point. People are passing off their import Les Pauls for genuine Gibson Guitars. When people pay the Gibson pricetag they expect a genuine Gibson. Period. Your attitude of "what people don't know won't hurt them" kinda bothers me to be honest. I bet it would be a totally different story if you were the one that got screwed and found out you payed $1,600.00 for a fake Gibson. Some people simply don't know any better and are easily misled which is why we are doing what we are doing. Clearly noone should be doing any business with you since you have the "what people don't know won't hurt them" outlook.

guys like us will be able to tell.... but the average person won't.

the kid that cut all of those lawns to buy one' date=' he won't. [/quote']

All the more reason to give people a few things to look out for. I agree it might help the fakers out, but you think they can't find this stuff out elsewhere? Besides, a lot of the things that the counterfeiters mess up isn't because they don't know how it's supposed to look. It's because it costs more and takes more time to do it right. For example, covering the fret ends with binding, properly routed control and pickup cavities, and decent wiring and electronics.

All the more reason to give people a few things to look out for. I agree it might help the fakers out' date=' but you think they can't find this stuff out elsewhere? Besides, a lot of the things that the counterfeiters mess up isn't because they don't know how it's supposed to look. It's because it costs more and takes more time to do it right. For example, covering the fret ends with binding, properly routed control and pickup cavities, and decent wiring and electronics.[/quote']

+1

Your missing the point. People are passing off their import Les Pauls for genuine Gibson Guitars. When people pay the Gibson pricetag they expect a genuine Gibson. Period. Your attitude of "what people don't know won't hurt them" kinda bothers me to be honest. I bet it would be a totally different story if you were the one that got screwed and found out you payed $1' date='600.00 for a fake Gibson. Some people simply don't know any better and are easily misled which is why we are doing what we are doing. Clearly noone should be doing any business with you since you have the "what people don't know won't hurt them" outlook.[/quote']

i think you misunderstood me.

i was replying to an earlier post. he said that it was okay to point it all out b/c they would never be perfect and we could always pick out the fakes. i was saying that though WE might be able to, some poor kid somewhere is going to get screwed over and that would be horrible.

if you read through my earlier posts, that would have been clear. if not, then that's my bad! lol.

i hate the fakes, and i don't want anyone to get screwed. if the fakers make them where only us Gibson nerds can tell the difference on the internet, then average shoppers will get ripped off and that will suck.

you had me TOTALLY wrong, man!

i CERTAINLY don't have the outlook you suggested. i'm actually quite hurt at your suggestion of me as being such a person.

I honestly can't stand the whole "what people don't know won't hurt them" persona and modoc, we know you meant the best by what you said, so no grudges against you from anyone on here, cause hey we may have our disagreements but we're still one big happy guitar playin' family. GG503 we're not trying to help the ******s who are selling their fake P.O.S's off as real Gibbie's because noone on here would be dumb enough to try to pull that **** off on anyone so we can I feel safely point out all the flaws in a fake. We know, which is what modoc was trying to say. and plus the kid who mows all the lawns would hopefully be smart enough to go to his trusted Guitar Center or Sam Ash to buy his well earned axe anyways. That's how my first guitar period came to be. Then when the ESP I got last year came along hell I was flippin' burgers to pay for that one.

yeah, i also hate the "what people don't know won't hurt them" type of attitude. i guess that's why i was so shocked when i was misunderstood.

i also would hope the kid would go to the store, but the truth is that people do get fooled by these things. it happens. i hate that it happens. i would like to make it as hard as possible for those fakers to stay in business. i hate the fakes and i hope no one gets screwed.

One just sold on Aus ebay today for real McCoy $s, I messaged the seller "you're selling a fake" no reply of course so post sale I pm the buyers most freak and cancel their pay pals etc some though in denial think they've gotton a bargain ........

poo

OK heres a question...

Every time somebody points out what's wrong on a fake Gibson guitar, we help the guys making these fakes build a better product, right? Do you guys really believe that? What's stopping them from just buying a real Gibson Les Paul and looking at the differences between that genuine LP and their fake?

OK heres a question...

Every time somebody points out what's wrong on a fake Gibson guitar' date=' we help the guys making these fakes build a better product, right? Do you guys really believe that? What's stopping them from just buying a real Gibson Les Paul and looking at the differences between that genuine LP and their fake?[/quote']

there is already a post in another thread where a Gibson employee says that Gibson won't point out everything that is wrong with them b/c they don't want to help them out.

i'm not just making this stuff up.

this is also why gibson is tight about giving out serial number info. if you call and ask them if a number matches a particular guitar they will tell you yes or no. however, if you just give them a serial number, they won't tell you what guitar it goes with. this is to fight the fakes.

go ahead, as Mike@gibson to point out everything wrong with a particular fake. see what sort of answer you get.

there is already a post in another thread where a Gibson employee says that Gibson won't point out everything that is wrong with them b/c they don't want to help them out.

i'm not just making this stuff up.

this is also why gibson is tight about giving out serial number info. if you call and ask them if a number matches a particular guitar they will tell you yes or no. however' date=' if you just give them a serial number, they won't tell you what guitar it goes with. this is to fight the fakes.

go ahead, as Mike@gibson to point out everything wrong with a particular fake. see what sort of answer you get.[/quote']

X10000000000000

Plus the dumbshits doing the fakes aren't going to waste the money on a real one because they're having to make the ones they have plus pictures can only say so much, hey they can get it down to art just like they got taking a piss without hitting the seat (hopefully). Yet if people are smart which yes there are some that aren't that bright, however anyone with a brainstem is going to go and look into a "Gibson" before they buy it used, or at least I know I am anyways, I don't know about you guys.

Sus this one out

(You'll have to cut and paste these into your browser not jsut click on teh part url)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=220298118661

This one has a new magical story after it was pointed out it was a china faker

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=300266149451

Archived