Gibson Brands Forums

Custom shop vs. regular SG

heymisterk

So, I am (finally) ready to buy another guitar, and having owned a Les Paul Standard and an SG Classic (still my favorite; what's not to love?)and I have decided to buy another SG with 'buckers.

To Ebay I went. I am trying to decide between a used 61 Reissue and a Custom Shop version of same.

The custom shop models seem to add at least $500 to the price, on a good day.

I don't mind paying for quality, but having said that, both my LP and - especially my Classic - were excellent.

So would you wait until you had more pennies in your jar in order to buy a Custom Shop model?

THANKS!

Guest farnsbarns

So, I am (finally) ready to buy another guitar, and having owned a Les Paul Standard and an SG Classic (still my favorite; what's not to love?)and I have decided to buy another SG with 'buckers.

To Ebay I went. I am trying to decide between a used 61 Reissue and a Custom Shop version of same.

The custom shop models seem to add at least $500 to the price, on a good day.

I don't mind paying for quality, but having said that, both my LP and - especially my Classic - were excellent.

So would you wait until you had more pennies in your jar in order to buy a Custom Shop model?

THANKS!

If all re-issues aren't custom shop models then it's news to me?

If you ask me, there isn't as much of a gap between Custom Shop/USA SGs as there is with Les Pauls but they are totally worth it. The Custom Shop version is referred to as the '62RI and you should be able to land a used one for about $1,500.

If all re-issues aren't custom shop models then it's news to me?

'61RIs are Gibson USA guitars. Always have been.

Got sg 61 reissue and custom shop sg standard

Both excellent guitars.

Pros for the custom shop sg

Nicer bevels on horn and body, looks a bit more elegant

Neck feels smother, the neck on the sg 61 feels a little edgy after playing the custom shop sg

Better frets

better electronic

aluminum stop-bar

pros for 61 sg reissue

Cheaper

I might swear in the holy church now but i like the Nashville bridge better than the abr bridge

The tuner post are a tad longer on my 61 reissue than on my cs sg (is that normal?)

those subject i mentions are minor stuff. I would say if you wanna buy new go for 61 sg, if you don't mind buying used go for custom shop sg

If you can find a Custom Shop SG at a good price go for it,

When I was looking for an SG I did not come across one at a good price,

I ended up with a 50th anniversary SG with 24 frets, great guitar with nice bevels and an SG standard neck joint and 57 classics. They only came in black though.

I almost bought a 61 reissue that had been aged by a guy at Gibson, it was only $1,000 but I was late by a couple of hours.

I ended up paying $1,200 for my SG 24 brand new from Sweetwater.

Hi,

IMHO (in general, I have to say a resounding no, it is not not worth it...I say that based on having played loads of Gibson USA and custom shop models (and with the risk of sounding arrogant) , having acute hearing. The differences are the normal variables you would expect from guitar to guitar; but a notable difference? - IMO no. As for playing with heavy gain; the acoustic purity is lost anyway and the amp has the greatest 'say' in the sound.

The thing is, we all differ on this topic here - and you ultimately will have to judge from the most important person's opinion; your own - But with the exception of the scenario of just falling in love with an instrument and then afterwards becoming aware of the brand/marketing name on the headstock (having loved it's feel and sound), my view is that the emperors clothes story rules electric guitar marketing and people hear what they want to hear to justify the £££.

You probably know this already, but don't be seduced by what looks nice, what people say on forums etc (including this too [flapper] ) just play (and buy )what you like - and yes if that is a CS shop guitar, good luck to you [thumbup]

Matt

Thank you to all.

In scanning eBay the last couple of months, I have not found a CS SG for much less than $2K. I am sure if I remain patient and determined, I might get lucky...

...on the other hand, there is a nice '61 Reissue for sale in my neck of the woods for $1,200. If I bargain a little...

Archived