Gibson Brands Forums

Some Love for Les Paul: Guitarist, Inventor, Inspiration

JasO

Les Paul, one of the towering figures of modern music, used to joke, “There’s millions and millions of people who think Les Paul is a guitar!” Fewer people understand the scope of his contributions, not to just the Gibson guitar that bears his name, but to recording techniques, effects devices, and the sound and scope of the electric guitar. As Jimmy Page once put it, “If it hadn’t been for him, there wouldn’t have been anything really.” In short, as a guitarist, inventor, and sonic pioneer, Les Paul enriched all of our lives.

I’ve just posted an in-depth article on Les’ life, recordings, innovations, and inventions, using quotes from Jon Sievert’s marathon interview with him in 1977. Jon also provided photos of the prototype solidbody Les affectionately nicknamed “The Log,” as well as his first disc-cutting machine (using a Cadillac flywheel!), the first 8-track sound-on-sound recorder, and some of his personal guitars. You’ll also find insights from Jeff Beck, Bill Wyman, Ritchie Blackmore, Chet Atkins, Joe Walsh, and others.

Les was a delightful human being, and this one was truly a pleasure to write. Jon also contributed a companion article about what it was like to visit Les at his New Jersey home in 1977. If you’re interested, you can read my article and Jon’s here:

Les Paul: Guitarist, Inventor, Inspiration

Les Paul at Home

I think pretty much everything Les did would inevitably have been done regardless - aside from his musicianship and personality...

But my guess is he probably sped things up by 15-25 years. That's a heck of a jump if you look at where guitars and various sorts of electronics were in 1945 compared to 1970. In a way the 25-year comparison is a bit better 1950 to 1975 'cuz 1950 was still 1941 in a lotta ways.

Somehow it seems there are a lotta folks messing with similar technical concepts, then, boom, somebody's head gets an idea and makes things work.

Hey, laugh at this, but I'd like to pin a medal on whoever figured the already sorta standard quarter-inch jacks should be used for guitars and amps and stuff like that, sorta like telephone switchboards.

m

I agree. Les was the epitome of what it means to be a musician, in a GOOD way.

But, I think that the LP guitar thing works both ways: the guitar brought him a lot of attention and the opportunity for people to learn about him, (and to understand his contributions) that likely would not have happened.

Kind of ironic. At the time, he never got enough credit for his innovations, but his name on the guitar helped the model back then. Now, he gets no credit for the design, but it allows us to see what he didn't get credit for back then.

Did you know that aliens came and designed the Les Paul.

That's how we moved forward.

Could that possibly be Priest's from the year 2112 who came back in time but then realized they made a mistake that eventually helped destroy the elder race.

Sounds like that could be a good song, LOL [biggrin]

Right after Les Paul's death Guitar Player magazine did a huge tributs issue to Les and his massive contribution to the music industry and recording.In reply to that issue I wrote a rather lengthy tribute to Les and told how he was a huge influence and mentor to me.I e-mailed my "tribute" to Guitar Player mag and the following month it was published as "letter of the month" for which I got a cool Guitar Player T-shirt and a Cruz-Tools Groovetech tool kit for guitar adjustment.

Since I have developed the same neuro-muscular condition that affects Leona Boyd,Les's perseverence and dedication have spurred me to carry on and play despite the pain and fatigue.Les was certainly a Renaissance Man in every sense of the word and he should serve as an inspiration to us all.God Bless him I say.

Archived