Gibson Brands Forums

How much is this Guitar worth?

badbowtie03

The subject of saleability needs to be addressed when placing a value on something, and a broken guitar loses major points in that regard. So, I'm beginning to think that the guitar, for all intents and purposes, is virtually worthless; chump change at best. And maybe 20 bucks for the amp. Let's not kid anybody.

I agree with $20 for the amp. A M&P guitar shop will try to sell it for $50.

I wouldnt say the guitar is worthless or broken for that matter. Its only missing the bridge and strings...and the bridge is cheap, easy to find and easy to install. You can get replacement setups with posts for $20 all day long.

A new LP Special-II goes for $169 at Guitar Center. If the Basher was complete and in working order with no gouges, dings, dents, etc. and only a little wear, I dont see why you couldnt get $150 with the amp on craigslist. Ebay, OTOH would bring considerably less because of shipping costs.

As it stands, I still dont think that $100 is unreasonable. I wouldnt go lower than $75. But hey, maybe I'm way out of the ballpark, but thats what I would be willing to pay if I were looking for one. If I just wanted a guitar to get started on, I probably wouldnt buy it.

[i see having just posted this that I missed reading a page of comments, and that others have already said it all! I'll let the post stand, anyway!]

Welcome back from your trip. To be quite honest, I have never seen an Epiphone exactly like that one, but I'm far from an expert in the entry-level models, which I suspect this one to be. It looks to me like it was made in Indonesia (judging from the wood, finish, and very basic tuning machines).

As I suspected at first when you said it had no strings, you will need to buy a stopbar and a Tune-O Matic (generic) bridge to get it into playing order. I suspect this is the only way it will fetch a decent price, mainly because without strings, nobody knows if it is, in fact, playable. I would not hazard a guess as to how much this might cost, but I'll bet that Willy can tell you!

The amp is also a very rudimentary practice amp, whose price I would not be willing to guess at. But that just speaks to my own ignorance. There are others lurking in the shadows who I am sure will prove much more helpful.

Thank you for the photos... they really are necessary if anyone is to assist you. I apologize if my "noobie razzing" of the first instance of contact put you off. [blush]

Good luck,

J/W

B)

Welcome back from your trip. To be quite honest, I have never seen an Epiphone exactly like that one, but I'm far from an expert in the entry-level models, which I suspect this one to be. It looks to me like it was made in Indonesia (judging from the wood, finish, and very basic tuning machines).

B)

I'm not certain of the guitar's origin, but Indonesia is probably correct. But what are the clues in the wood and finish that you see that would point to it being Indo? This is an honest question, as I really dont know how to tell the difference bewteen Korea & Indonesia without the little "made in" sticker.

I'm not certain of the guitar's origin, but Indonesia is probably correct. But what are the clues in the wood and finish that you see that would point to it being Indo? This is an honest question, as I really dont know how to tell the difference bewteen Korea & Indonesia without the little "made in" sticker.

Actually, the serial number indicates it was a Muse?Chinese-made instrument, but I thought Indonesian at first glance because the finish imparts no depth to the wood. The neck heel is very rudimentary and "semicircular". There is an absence of finishing contours, in general. The fretboard is very angular and square, and protrudes slightly beyond the underlying "maple(?)", which is rounded to fit the neck pocket. This reminds me of the old Variax 300 I used to own. It was made in Indonesia, and had the same general look about it.

Mostly, the pics of the guitar just remind me a lot more of Indonesian guitars than of the Korean ones I have had in my hands over the years. But in my most active guitar buying years, Chinese guitars were virtually unheard of, so I would not automatically think "Chinese" by looking at those pictures. But even the cheapest of the Korean guitars I have examined seem to have a certain aesthetic quality that this guitar does not exhibit to me.

But really, it's just my hunch as opposed to any arcane knowledge I may possess!

Regards,

J/W

8-[

You've gotten some varied replies from owners more experienced than myself, and a couple of points that I haven't seen mentioned might be worth mentioning.

If you remove the back cover or a pickup, you might be able to determine if the body is solid wood, or laminated/plywood. That's one factor in the value that potential buyers may be interested in knowing.

If the body is solid wood, you might be able to determine what type of wood it is, by removing the neck, but maybe not because some bodies I've seen have had quite a bit of overspray in the neck pockets.

Referring to catalogs and sales literature of the year it was manufactured may reveal the type of body wood, too.

If there is the beginning of a crack in the cutout beside the neck, that would be a value factor.

Some sellers on eBay break down guitars and sell the separate parts individually. Necks in good condition are getting some steep prices recently, and because this one would be more unique, it could fetch a surprising amount, but then we're in the holiday shopping season so maybe not.

The wiring and pickups could be checked as far as being basically functional, but connecting the guitar to the amp and adjusting the pots while lightly tapping the poles of the pickups with a small steel part (screw, nut, washer etc). The tapping should be heard thru the amp while changing the positions of the pots and moving the switch thru it's positions.. neck, both and bridge settings.

I've seen bridges and tailpieces for sale on eBay for less than $10 each including postage from China. A set of strings can be had for maybe $5, and if they were installed (following a little reading) you could determine if the guitar is fully playable.

Regards,

Bill

Excuse my ignorance. I have never owner or played a guitar before... but someone gave me one and I know nothing about it. I wanted to see what it was worth. And what would be the best way to sell it. It is black with a wood stock. The plate on the back says epiphone and the serial number is MC21100510. It doesnt have strings on it at all. There is also a tag on the top of it that says 100% inspected and set up in the USA by "29" and then a big E. It has another tag on the front of the guitar on the top that says epiphone in block white letters. and the guitar has clear looking dials on it and a rhythm/treble switch on it.

Again, sorry that im a newb. So what do yall think? any ideas? should I just take it to a guitar shop and let them tell me or what? Thanks a lot for the help and/or advice.

Yugos were only around for a couple years, and they were certainly different......

That guitar and a Yugo both work equally well as an automobile. The only saving grace of the Yugo are the rear-window defrosters so your hands don't get cold while you push it.

The subject of saleability needs to be addressed when placing a value on something, and a broken guitar loses major points in that regard. So, I'm beginning to think that the guitar, for all intents and purposes, is virtually worthless; chump change at best. And maybe 20 bucks for the amp. Let's not kid anybody.

Brilliant assessment, you must be a millionaire business man...

Actually, the serial number indicates it was a Muse?Chinese-made instrument, but I thought Indonesian at first glance because the finish imparts no depth to the wood. The neck heel is very rudimentary and "semicircular". There is an absence of finishing contours, in general. The fretboard is very angular and square, and protrudes slightly beyond the underlying "maple(?)", which is rounded to fit the neck pocket. This reminds me of the old Variax 300 I used to own. It was made in Indonesia, and had the same general look about it.

Mostly, the pics of the guitar just remind me a lot more of Indonesian guitars than of the Korean ones I have had in my hands over the years. But in my most active guitar buying years, Chinese guitars were virtually unheard of, so I would not automatically think "Chinese" by looking at those pictures. But even the cheapest of the Korean guitars I have examined seem to have a certain aesthetic quality that this guitar does not exhibit to me.

But really, it's just my hunch as opposed to any arcane knowledge I may possess!

Regards,

J/W

8-[

Thanks, JW.

I still dont think I would be able to tell without having my hands on many of them and gaining personal experience differentiating between the two. But your insight is helpful, even if I cant apply it immediately. Thanks!

I'm just another schmuck with an opinion.

I'm not knocking you Moishe. I dont agree with your monetary assessment, but you bring some good points to light. Your assessment of the guitar in monetary value leads me to believe that you are looking at this from a reseller's point of view. To a dealer or store owner, this guitar is worth about $50 or less in terms of what it should be valued at (bought for) to make a profit in a store. Some resellers might not even touch it at all because it may require too much time/money to get back to working order. Between the time it takes to complete the guitar and then pay an employee to do a set up and then haggling with a customer over the price, there may be no profit left...not that there was much to begin with. And the cost to part it out and sell on Ebay would would be substantial after fees, shipping costs and time. If this is you angle, then I would agree. However, selling to and "end-user", there is a few dollars to be made and the value of the guitar is actually higher.

As pointed out by Lefty Bill, the neck alone will bring in good money. No less than $50 if you look at Ebay and the regular ol' Special-II necks. Most of them are over $50 with bids. Some of them are over $85...half the cost of the guitar. And the Basher neck isnt your run of the mill Mahogany Special neck. Its hard maple with Indian rosewood, a satin finish and a unique headstock & logo. Not to mention that it can be used as a replacement for any Special or Junior...or any 24.75" scale guitar (with the exception of possibly having to move the bolt holes).

Combine that with the rest of the parts and you are looking at around $100. I know the lack of a bridge detracts from the price, but they are so cheap i dont think it really makes much of a difference. $20 for a bridge and that could be made up by the price of the neck which is still going to bring in around $100 total.

Archived