Gibson Brands Forums

Are Actors/Actresses better or worse, today, than in the past?

charlie brown

I think one factor is that styles have changed in movie directing and framing.

Some of the John Wayne westerns - the cavalry trilogy for example - was actually a set of Remington-like paintings interspersed with dialog.

I got into an argument with a lady friend who also was my theater teacher a thousand years ago about movie vs theater with me taking the side of movies.

In retrospect I think it's because I'm a photographer who uses distance and perspective to tell part of the story rather than a perpetual long-range look at people walking around and talking loudly.

Movies "got it" very early - before sound was added, in fact.

Actors... I dunno. I think they have less opportunity to shine than in the old days; but also the old days gave "us" some surprises, such as the low-budget Casablanca that's still a classic in spite of some less than stellar acting even by true "stars." The story carried it regardless.

I'll say this, I don't think we have the cinema "art" in the sense that we once had in terms of framing and perspective. I think also that "style" of acting today too often follows the "style" of how we expect people to respond in today's culture - which is to me rather different from in the olden days.

m

So, a "reflection of," as opposed to projecting to? (Culture wise)

CB

And, that reflects on the culture...as in "what sells," as opposed to what doesn't...unfortunately.

I think, though, even "popular" movies can be excellent, both in technique/special effects, and in

story, and acting. But, there will have to be a real "demand" for that. Have that, and "Hollywood"

will bust the arses, making those kinds of films....IF that's where the real money is. I'm just

glad there are still some "little" movies, that are awe inspiring, in both story, technique(s), and

acting! Even if you DO have to go looking for them, as opposed to having (the other) shoved down

one's gullet, by their amazingly well oiled, publicity machine! [tongue]

CB

A lot of (not all) Foreign films, I would agree...TV, on the other hand,

can be "Spotty," (foreign or domestic)...IMHO.

CB

To me, turning on the TV is in the same league as causing your septic system to back up, on purpose!

My $0.02

J/W

[thumbdn]

Personal musings...(and I know I'm right)... :blink:

What is lacking more than ever is good story lines

Like reading a good book...one's imagination is stimulated

There is fine acting going on today, let down by crass predictable stories

And the commercial habit of 'remaking' a former classic film with younger actors

And yes, the use of wizz-bang effects is cynical and boring to a fault

IMO so many films today have nothing going on...beautifully filmed and acted...

The media reviewers are also part of the process...they seem to have less interest in quality too...

V

:-({|=

Yes, you've got to go back to about the mid '80s to find acting at its peak of excellence..............

"Your clothes.....give them to me"

"Give me your address here"

"Uzi 9mm....."

(what'll it be pal) ".........ALL!"

"I'LL BE BACK!!!!!!!"

....and another cowboy begins his political career.

Yes, you've got to go back to about the mid '80s to find acting at its peak of excellence..............

"Your clothes.....give them to me"

"Give me your address here"

"Uzi 9mm....." (what'll it be pal) ".........ALL!"

"I'LL BE BACK!!!!!!!"

Was he talking about California? [tongue][flapper][biggrin]

CB

You guys need to step out of the mainstream. There are PLENTY of GREAT movies and TV shows out there!!

Just like music...you gotta stop listening to the radio to find it...stop watching TV commercials and allow them to dictate the movies you are going to see.

You'd be very surprised...

You guys sound like 90 year olds.... "back in my day...."

lol!

Well, Shred...I don't watch "mainstream" TV or even many movies, anymore.

I haven't, for probably 15-20 years, now. Don't even have my TV hooked up

to cable, or any antenna device. Use it, strictly, for watching DVD's,

movies, documentaries, and such. I Did have all the cable stuff, in Los

Angeles, but I could rarely find anything "I" wanted to watch. What little

"mainstream" TV I do see, are usually the mulit-episode programs, that are

available, commercial free, on Netflix Instant view. So, I do "seek out,

lots of alternative movies, TV programming, that isn't what I'd call "main

stream." I do enjoy some of the BBC and PBS offerings, from time to time.

"Old," yes! Brainwashed, and left for dead...not on you life! [biggrin]

CB

CB...

I think "theater" broadly speaking both reflects and plays to the culture in which it resides.

E.g., if you don't "get it," it's meaningless. Kabuki, for example, ain't that popular with general non-Japanese markets. Even a European familiar with the story of the 47 Ronin, for example, probably will not find the kabuki version that entertaining except as a curiousity.

Aristotle's "Poetics" kinda hits the nail on the head in terms of the appeal of theater, and he was writing thousands of years ago. Bottom line is that the presentation must be something audiences can relate to in one way or another.

Remember how Antigone was played quite a bit in the '60s and early '70s in various venues? The Vietnam political "thing" made it pretty interesting, as did some other old Greek plays. As I recall the Lysistrata was performed rather frequently at the time, too.

So... I think to a large extent much of our movies are exploiting rapid tech changes and, in ways, provide an escape from the coarseness of society even while it reflects it.

BTW, I think it's not a matter of "age" in this case either, given that such discussion was apparently not at all uncommon in imperial Rome. I may be old, but not that old. Wasn't born until 1453. <chortle>

m

I think one factor is that styles have changed in movie directing and framing.

Some of the John Wayne westerns - the cavalry trilogy for example - was actually a set of Remington-like paintings interspersed with dialog.

I got into an argument with a lady friend who also was my theater teacher a thousand years ago about movie vs theater with me taking the side of movies.

In retrospect I think it's because I'm a photographer who uses distance and perspective to tell part of the story rather than a perpetual long-range look at people walking around and talking loudly.

Movies "got it" very early - before sound was added, in fact.

Actors... I dunno. I think they have less opportunity to shine than in the old days; but also the old days gave "us" some surprises, such as the low-budget Casablanca that's still a classic in spite of some less than stellar acting even by true "stars." The story carried it regardless.

I'll say this, I don't think we have the cinema "art" in the sense that we once had in terms of framing and perspective. I think also that "style" of acting today too often follows the "style" of how we expect people to respond in today's culture - which is to me rather different from in the olden days.

m

No question about it, John Ford was an Artist! No one can use the landscape as a character like he can.

You guys need to step out of the mainstream. There are PLENTY of GREAT movies and TV shows out there!!

Just like music...you gotta stop listening to the radio to find it...stop watching TV commercials and allow them to dictate the movies you are going to see.

You'd be very surprised...

You guys sound like 90 year olds.... "back in my day...."

lol!

[sneaky][confused] And there is something wrong with being 90? [confused]

Look, us old farts can be dangerous, because - since we're too old to fight you younger guys - we have to KILL you, right off the bat!

[ [unsure] Have we met before? [blink] ]

J/W

:huh:

Take some time to go back and watch what Pacino, De Niro, Hoffman, Hackman etc. were doing in the late 60s/ early 70s and little what passes today for acting measures up.

Here's a test while watching your favorite movie. Turn down the sound and really watch the actor without all the music, sound effects and the lines being recited.

Watch their eyes, watch their hands, how they react to the other person is saying. The great ones hold your attention even in silence.

Maybe it had more effect on me because I grew up on that stuff but I don't see much of it in todays hollywood.

[sneaky][confused] And there is something wrong with being 90? [confused]

Look, us old farts can be dangerous, because - since we're too old to fight you younger guys - we have to KILL you, right off the bat!

[ [unsure] Have we met before? [blink] ]

J/W

:huh:

No there's something wrong with you not realizing that there is tons of great stuff out there that you haven't seen. IN the 60's there were 100 movies to choose from....now there re 100,000...some are ****. Plenty are fantastic!!! You keep lettin TV commercials tell you what to watch, you will continue to be disappointed... you dig a little deeper, and you will find some fantastic ****...

Archived