Gibson Brands Forums

Is There A Doctor In The House?

johnny_uk

Hi I recently bought a 1997 es 335 and noticed black spots on the back of the guitar. My guess is that there has been a reaction to the nitro cellulose by the rubber on a guitar stand. The spots appear to be under the lacquer and can't be washed off.

Am I right? Whats your diagnosis and can it be rectified?

I am enclosing a pic.

Many Thanks

Johnny

Picture125.jpg

Hard to say. I do know that rubber from a stand will damage the finish. But the damage looks more like someone took a lighter to the finish for a few seconds. It basically eats away at the nitro. Perhaps yours is in the early stages of that erosion.

Can you polish it out?

First of all. Thank you for the larger font, this old guy have a hard time reading that small stuff.

Try using Naptha or a small amount of WD-40. If that does not work you can allways send it to Gibson

for repair.

Now lets see a pic of the front and congrats on the new axe. A 335 is my next guitar

Hi I recently bought a 1997 es 335 and noticed black spots on the back of the guitar. My guess is that there has been a reaction to the nitro cellulose by the rubber on a guitar stand. The spots appear to be under the lacquer and can't be washed off.

Am I right? Whats your diagnosis and can it be rectified?

I am enclosing a pic.

Many Thanks

Johnny

Picture125.jpg

Oh oh... looks like your guitar has Spotted black wood mold... No wonder why he sold it... now you got it. I'd keep your other guitars away from it...

Archived