Gibson Brands Forums

Need a new nut for my Epi LP

JoiseyEpiBoy

Hello. I'm new to this forum.

I own an Epi LP that, after an outdoor gig on a windy day, now has a chipped nut (near the 6th string).

With the variety of nuts to choose from (bone, brass, plastic), I'm a bit unsure how to proceed.

Any insight from my fellow Epi owners would be great.

Some background: I play mostly hard rock in a cover band. I use D'Addario XL 9's.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice!

Greg

Edison, NJ

First....

Welcome to the forum!

Pics are a must.

Are you doing the replacement yourself?

Bigneil (fellow member) just did a bone nut:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/77287-dust-n-bones/

I just did a Tusq (Graph Tech):

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/77220-beater-guitar-part-5/

The 6060 Tusq are the correct fit for Epiphone's. Slightly over sized with correctly spaced string notches.

Before the number is a prefix. PQ is white

PQL is the white XL

PT is the black XL

The PQ have no lubricant. The XL do. All three are a high temp - high pressure synthetic. (artificial ivory)

The biggest difference is that TUSQ XL is impregnated with PTFE; the lubrication prevents strings from binding in the slots. TUSQ is not. You get better tuning stability especially when using a tremolo or bending strings. TUSQ XL also has more of a midrange boost as compared to TUSQ.

Willy

Edit: If you decide to go with a Graph Tech do not buy directly from them.

They prefer dealing with dealers and their prices reflect it.

Most dealers sell them for $8-$10.

W.W.

I did a replacement with this nut and it worked out great...

I had a chipped nut on an old Korean Dot that I had at one time... funny thing is it broke during a string replacement... some of those 90's black nuts were garbage...

lesson learned if you play with your nuts too much you are bound to bust one...

All 4 of my electrics have phenolic nuts (sounds like a medical disorder, huh?). I used to use the tusq ones, but they just don't last, too soft? But, they are probably the easiest and most widely used ones, so they must please a lot of players. Phenolic is basically bowling/pool ball material, hard and cosistant, and available in colors. If I were to try and make one myself, I'd probably use corian. Samples available at the big box stores.

Thank you for the warm welcome and for the excellent advice!

Much appreciated!

First....

Welcome to the forum!

Pics are a must.

Are you doing the replacement yourself?

Bigneil (fellow member) just did a bone nut:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/77287-dust-n-bones/

I just did a Tusq (Graph Tech):

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/77220-beater-guitar-part-5/

The 6060 Tusq are the correct fit for Epiphone's. Slightly over sized with correctly spaced string notches.

Before the number is a prefix. PQ is white

PQL is the white XL

PT is the black XL

The PQ have no lubricant. The XL do. All three are a high temp - high pressure synthetic. (artificial ivory)

The biggest difference is that TUSQ XL is impregnated with PTFE; the lubrication prevents strings from binding in the slots. TUSQ is not. You get better tuning stability especially when using a tremolo or bending strings. TUSQ XL also has more of a midrange boost as compared to TUSQ.

Willy

Edit: If you decide to go with a Graph Tech do not buy directly from them.

They prefer dealing with dealers and their prices reflect it.

Most dealers sell them for $8-$10.

W.W.

Thanks for your reply. Very helpful!

All 4 of my electrics have phenolic nuts (sounds like a medical disorder, huh?). I used to use the tusq ones, but they just don't last, too soft? But, they are probably the easiest and most widely used ones, so they must please a lot of players. Phenolic is basically bowling/pool ball material, hard and cosistant, and available in colors. If I were to try and make one myself, I'd probably use corian. Samples available at the big box stores.

Archived