Gibson Brands Forums

9's or 10's?

changelives

Hi all,

When I bought my Gibson Les Paul Faded Studio, I asked them to change the strings to 9's (it comes from the factory with 10's). It was what my guitar teacher suggested.

But the guy at the store told me that because of the shorter scale length (24.75" versus a strat 25.5", for instance) I should use a heavier gauge string on gibson LP's. He said that because of the neck tension required, the thinner strings would throw the neck out of whack. Was he right or was he lazy?

I have been playing for a year and I spend a lot of time bending strings. I do fine with 10's - and could easily stick with them - but my teacher still says that 9's would be that must easier for me to nuance the bends.

Any advice?

Thanks

The whole string tension thing is relative. I've been into it plenty over the years.

I find it more important to keep as near relative tension across the fretboard as possible. Even to the point of trying Zachary strings.

It's far better for intonation and neck tension. After all you don't want the truss rod trying to counteract high tension treble and low tension bass strings. Truss rods can't really do that. It's why you'll often find a guitar neck gives more relief on the bass side than the treble side.

So whatever gauge you use you can set the neck relief to suit. But you want the tension as balanced as possible across the strings. Gibbons and King both use .008's on their Gibson's don't they?

Anyhow being a lifelong Fender player who uses .010's. I thought I'd struggle like hell with my LP and .009's. It felt ok when I tried it before buying it, could do better. But can't they all? As soon as I got home them things came off and a set of .010's went on. Well that lasted all of half a hour. They did not suit the guitar at all. I got the neck right but couldn't seem to balance the bridge to stopbar tension out, it felt horrible So I went back to .009's. I couldn't get them feeling right either, over the course of four months. Eventually I tried a .009-.046 set. Everything seems hunky dory now.

I still like .010's on my Fender's, despite the higher string tension because of the extended scale length.

Horses for courses.

Everybody is right so far...

String choice can be an emotive and very personal subject

A good reason to have several guitars with different string gauges and set-ups :blink:

Most of mine are strung with 10's for a balance between good 'string' tone and easy fretting and bends

Others range from 9's (LP Junior, Strat, Tele) to

11's (small hollow jazz archtop)

12's (big 17" jazz archtop, custom solid resonator).....

V

:-({|=

• Upvote 1

I feel it's more to do with your play'n style, are you a soft light picker or do you have a heavy hand like me. I try 9's all the time but I'm just to heavy handed and the notes start to go sharp once I get a rock'n. So I stick to 10's

Jimmy page used 9's on the LP, Tony Iommi uses 8's on the SG and I think Billy Gibbins uses 7's they all have the touch.

Someone like Pete Townshend uses 14's.

Your guitar could need a total setup as different gauge strings can change the intonation and action. Most of the time go'n from 10's to 9's will cause some buzz'n

• Upvote 1

As usual, a lot of great but confusing answers.

No problem, just change them

Change them but adjust the truss

Change them and adjust the nut

Don't change them.

Man I love these forums. I have a new joke:

How do you get three pieces of advice?

Ask two guitarists:)

Thanks and play on all.

• Thanks 1

Well a question was given. Answers are the reason why we have a forum. In my youth I used 9's on my Sonex. I did it mainly because they made me feel like I was playing faster. Years ago when I restored my Sonex I put 10's on it. I like that fatter sound on all my Gibsons. But that's just me.

The bottom line is that it's completely up to you. If you change it to 9's just take it to a tech and for $40 it'll be setup properly and ready to go.

• Upvote 1

I feel it's more to do with your play'n style, are you a soft light picker or do you have a heavy hand like me. I try 9's all the time but I'm just to heavy handed and the notes start to go sharp once I get a rock'n. So I stick to 10's

Jimmy page used 9's on the LP, Tony Iommi uses 8's on the SG and I think Billy Gibbins uses 7's they all have the touch.

Someone like Pete Townshend uses 14's.

Your guitar could need a total setup as different gauge strings can change the intonation and action. Most of the time go'n from 10's to 9's will cause some buzz'n

I think this answer is the closest one to the truth: each gauge needs a slightly different "touch". I keep my guitars adjusted so I can slap on either 9s or 10s without too much 'tweaking". It depends on the music and the sound I want. I'm working on a Norah Jones instrumental cover album now. Kevin Breit has a tone and feel that is just so appropriate for Ms. Jones music, I want to get as close to it as I can, within my own context. I can't get it with my usual 10s. I have to use 9s and learn to play the music with a MUCH lighter touch than is usual for me.

The results I am getting are very gratifying. I like the sound, and the constraints the lighter strings impose on my playing have improved the delicacy of my touch. So 9s have their place, but I would probably not use them on a Strat for a full-out Chicago blues gig. The 9s are great on a Tele for chikkin pikkin, however, and so on, and so on. +:-@

Those who are posting that there is no categorical answer to this seemingly simple questions are, IMO, the ones coming closest to the mark. Also, it is good advice to just try it instead of attempting to analyze it. You'll only be out the price of a set of strings, in the long run...

My $0.02/FWIW.

B)

J/W

• Upvote 1

It doesn't sound like it is just as easy as trying it, and then just switching back if I have to get it set up anew each time. I am not a tinkerer and I don't have $80 to throw around (for a switch to 9's and then possibly back). And right now, I am sad to say, this is my only guitar!!!

I truly love the Gibson LP tone, so my fingers will just have to get a little stronger and I think I will, as they say, not mess with success.

• Upvote 1

It doesn't sound like it is just as easy as trying it, and then just switching back if I have to get it set up anew each time. I am not a tinkerer and I don't have $80 to throw around (for a switch to 9's and then possibly back). And right now, I am sad to say, this is my only guitar!!!

I truly love the Gibson LP tone, so my fingers will just have to get a little stronger and I think I will, as they say, not mess with success.

Oh please... you don't need a total setup to change one gauge up or down, unless your real name is Eric Johnson! The difference in intonation is more theoretical than practical for that incremental change. No matter how well-intonated your guitar, if you grab a chord too tightly with 9s, you'll make it go sharp just by bending the wire over the fret.

Be adventurous, and then get a setup if your experience witht the 9s tells you that's the direction you want to go.

My $0.02/FWIW

B)

J/W

• Upvote 1

Oh please... you don't need a total setup to change one gauge up or down, unless your real name is Eric Johnson! The difference in intonation is more theoretical than practical for that incremental change. No matter how well-intonated your guitar, if you grab a chord too tightly with 9s, you'll make it go sharp just by bending the wire over the fret.

Be adventurous, and then get a setup if your experience witht the 9s tells you that's the direction you want to go.

My $0.02/FWIW

B)

J/W

+1, my bud changed to 10s without a setup, if it had a flating bridge most definitely would need a set up.

$80 for a set up???

It's twenty minutes work, half hour at the most.

Set up is quite easy, learn to do it yourself. Trust me after a bit of practice you'll achieve results equal to any shop.

Well worth investing in a bit of reading material if it's gonna save you dough.

Even Haynes do a manual for the Les Paul.

http://www.haynes.co.uk/gibson/

So you can fix your Ford and set your guitar up at the same time.

I believe the OP was calculating two setups: one to go to 9s and the other in the event he decided to return to 10s.

But you are quite right about the necessity of being able to do one's own setups. It is an essential skill., given the burgeoning ranks of know- nothing techs out there!

J/W

• Upvote 1

I agree you should experiment with different gauges and brands. But do yourself a favor and keep track of what you put on the guitar. I keep the face of the package and write the date on it when I change, and stick it in my desk drawer. That way it's easier to compare what you're feeling to what you had on previously.

• Upvote 1

I agree you should experiment with different gauges and brands. But do yourself a favor and keep track of what you put on the guitar. I keep the face of the package and write the date on it when I change, and stick it in my desk drawer. That way it's easier to compare what you're feeling to what you had on previously.

I think this is excellent advice!

B)

J/W