Gibson Brands Forums

Strap Lock

Spamble

Hi, can anyone tell me about strap locks? My strap for my ES339 has come loose a few times but luckily I haven't damaged it. Do I need a particular make, do Gibson make strap locks for their specific guitars? Any help would be appreciated.

I have Schaellers on both my 30th anniversary Les Paul and ES335. The installation on the Les Paul took about one minute. However on the 335 the Gibson stock strap button screw was much bigger than the Schaeller replacement (the body strap button, not the one near the neck) so I super glued some toothpicks in the too-big body hole to reduce its diameter and then, when the glue was dried, screwed the Shaeller in place - no issues whatsoever since then.

I have Schaellers on both my 30th anniversary Les Paul and ES335. The installation on the Les Paul took about one minute. However on the 335 the Gibson stock strap button screw was much bigger than the Schaeller replacement (the body strap button, not the one near the neck) so I super glued some toothpicks in the too-big body hole to reduce its diameter and then, when the glue was dried, screwed the Shaeller in place - no issues whatsoever since then.

Thanks for info

I have Schallers on all my electric guitars 2 Les Pauls, an SG, an ES 335, A G&L Legacy, and my vintage Silvertone 1446.

Like was said, the the screws that come with the Schallers is smaller than the stock screw on Gibsons. I used the stock screws instead of gluing in toothpicks. You have to drill the hole in one of the strap pegs enough for the stock screw to go through it, grind the head ot the stock screw down so it goes inside the locking strap peg. (sanding disc on a dremel works perfectly) For about a quarter you can get new screws the same size as the stock ones.... This way you can always put the stock strap pegs back on with the stock screws because you don't alter the holes on the guitar. I've gotten to where I can put Schallers on in 10 minutes.

I have never had a mishap with Schallers. I have lost one guitar and had a couple of close calls with Dunlops that were not "all the way home".

That's why I only use and recommend Schaller: your guitar is pretty safe even of the locking post is not correctly seated.

My $0.02/YMMV

J/W

Archived