Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Midtown Custom opinions

Deacon Blue

Don't own one...Yet! [tongue][biggrin] But, I have played a couple (Cherry Burst, and Vintage Burst) at my dealers,

and they're nice guitars! Cross (in tone) between a Les Paul and ES-335...though not as "resonant," as the

335, obviously, since it's carved out, and not laminated, in construction, as well as smaller

bodied. Still, it's has a great tone, and sustain, all it's own. The fingerboard felt (to me) like Ebony,

though with a bit more "sheen," to it. Resembled a Ebony board, that had years of playing, on it,

yet new...if THAT makes any sense, at all? But, like with any guitar you're thinking about buying,

go "test drive" it first...see if it's really what you want.

To expand on the tone, a bit...it seemed to me, to be snappier,

or possibly "edgier" is a better word(?), than a similar ES-335,

a bit "airier," than a Les Paul, but not nearly as "round" or open

sounding, as the 335. So, depending on what YOU like, it may or

may not be "the one?!"

Cheers,

CB

I also played those 2 burst at my local GC and I was not impressed. I was disappointed with the look and feel of both. The tone was average at best. Now maybe I was expecting more but not worth $1300 to me anyway.

The Classic custom on the other had was a thing of beauty to look at and play.msp_thumbup.gif

I also played those 2 burst at my local GC and I was not impressed. I was disappointed with the look and feel of both. The tone was average at best. Now maybe I was expecting more but not worth $1300 to me anyway.

The Classic custom on the other had was a thing of beauty to look at and play.msp_thumbup.gif

Yeah, if one expects a more ES-335/355 tone, you'll be disappointed. It's definitely more

toward a slightly rounder Les Paul tone...IMHO. So, if you have a good/great Les Paul, to begin with, there's

not a lot of need, for the Midtown, unless you just love the looks, and feel, anyway. However,

"I" FWIW liked it, for what it is.

I played it/them, through a Fender Deluxe Reverb, and an Orange Dual Terror...

Both of those amps, love almost any guitar! LOL

CB

Hi Gang,

I was thinking of purchasing a Gibson Midtown Custom and was wondering if anybody out there has one and what your opinion was on this guitar. The price seems good but I don't know much about it to make a decision. Thanks for the help.

Hi,

I own one in Vintage Sunburst and love the guitar. I've posted my thoughts on this guitar elsewhere in the forum. I would definitely purchase this guitar again. Try one and decide for yourself.

Regards,

Joe

Guitars.jpg

+1 on the Midtown. I have one in Heritage cherry and the looks are really nice but more importantly, plays real well. smooth as butter and a nice rounded tone. can most certainly do 335 runs as well as les paul runs yet has its own voice. well made, not as heavy as a 335

and smooth frets. [thumbup][thumbup][thumbup]

Hate to ask a dumb question, but oher than the cutaway shape, how does it differ from a 339?

Rather cool looking, reminds me of the Fender Esprit/Robben Fords of the early 90s.

Hi,

The top is flat, not arched and the body construction is similar to the Carvin SH series guitar. I believe it is larger than the 339. Of course, the fingerboard on the Midtown is Richlite.

Regards,

Joe

Hate to ask a dumb question, but oher than the cutaway shape, how does it differ from a 339?

Rather cool looking, reminds me of the Fender Esprit/Robben Fords of the early 90s.

The Midtown has a flat top (Gibson calls it carved), but it's not arched. The maple cap appears to be about a half inch thick - it's solid, not laminate. The body is 'tonally carved' from a solid piece of mahogany. Also, the lower bout of the body is 15" across - wider than a 339, but narrower than a 335-style. The wings are a little more pointed than either of the aforementioned - very much like an Ibanez AS73. The guitar sounds quite good and resonant, in my opinion (Midtown Custom). Hope this helps.

I saw 3 Midtowns at the GC in Boston yesterday. No time to play one, but they sure looked great. I was puzzled by the Standard coming with a Bigsby, but not the Deluxe - which just has fancier trim. And the price point is great - c. $1400 and change. They also had an Epi 339 Ultra. Again, no time to try it - but it looked sweet. I think I might like to try an Epi 339 without the nano etc and compare it to the Midtown. Two similar shapes, but very different guitars. Hmmm. Maybe next week.

Hi Vincent,

what is the 'official' advice from Gibson

for the richlite-fretboard to clean or maintain ?

Thanks

Richlite does not require lemon oil or fretboard conditioner. When changing strings, if the board deserves a cleaning, then apply a little bit of warm water to a soft cotton cloth and gently wipe down the fingerboard. Be sure to wipe the board dry of course as standing moisture is not recommended. That should do it.

• 1 year later...

For what its worth I own two Midtowns, one 'Burst Custom and one Pelham Blue P90.

IMHO they both look and sound great, play well and, for the money, represent great value - would highly recommend.

I also own a 335 and an LP and can't say that I notice much difference between the Richlite of the Custom compared to the Rosewood on the others.

I heard somewhere they were going to discontinue these models.

I suspect that like the short lived production of the 333 (which for a spell was outselling the expensive 335 til it was discontinued) Gibson might do the same with these models.

Anyone out there know if thats true?

Cheers

post-27860-057914100 1378394547_thumb.jpg

For what its worth I own two Midtowns, one 'Burst Custom and one Pelham Blue P90.

IMHO they both look and sound great, play well and, for the money, represent great value - would highly recommend.

I also own a 335 and an LP and can't say that I notice much difference between the Richlite of the Custom compared to the Rosewood on the others.

I heard somewhere they were going to discontinue these models.

I suspect that like the short lived production of the 333 (which for a spell was outselling the expensive 335 til it was discontinued) Gibson might do the same with these models.

Anyone out there know if thats true?

Cheers

I own a midtown and they did stop making them

• 1 month later...

Archived