Gibson Brands Forums

Which would you choose of the 2? Classic faded or 60's tribute SG?

NightTimeConcealmentX91

All things, being (more or less) equal, I'd get the "Classic Faded," mostly because I like

bound fingerboards. I think (not sure) they are 2-piece bodies, as well...where the "Tributes,"

can be up to 4 or 5 piece bodies, based on what I've seen in stores.

But, YOU should try them both, and see which one YOU prefer! [thumbup]

CB

Personally i would go for the Sg 60's tribute worn natural finish, cool look and i like the 60's slim taper neck on this model a little bit more compared to the rounded neck found on the classic. Some rounded neck's are great, but some are just to much "baseball bat" for my taste. My 50's anniversary sg24 has a comfortable rounded neck. Haven't tried either of the models so i don't know how this classic rounded neck is. I suspect that it is the fat "baseball neck" [biggrin]

I recently faced the same decision and went with the 60s Tribute.

They should sound the same, all of the electronics are the same and the same wood is used for both. The Classic offers a bound fretboard and gloss finish.

So why the Tribute? I really like the small pickguard and worn natural finish.

My Tribute quickly became my #1 and my other guitars sit jealously in their cases waiting for a chance. I really love this guitar! Mine has a 3 piece body with very nice seam work.

You really can't go wrong either way!

IMG_3841.jpg

I am a little bias because I own an SG Classic which is why I am recommending the Classic (duh!).

I played a few 60s Tributes when I was looking for a single coil guitar and was disappointed at how much I did not like them. The construction felt rough around the edges and the flatness of the fretboard reminded me too much of an Ibanez guitar. Some players like that type of fretboard. If you have sausage fingers like me, you probably don't.

The bound fretboard with dot inlays on the Classic is a nice touch. Just fancy enough.

I am a little bias because I own an SG Classic which is why I am recommending the Classic (duh!).

I played a few 60s Tributes when I was looking for a single coil guitar and was disappointed at how much I did not like them. The construction felt rough around the edges and the flatness of the fretboard reminded me too much of an Ibanez guitar. Some players like that type of fretboard. If you have sausage fingers like me, you probably don't.

The bound fretboard with dot inlays on the Classic is a nice touch. Just fancy enough.

Interesting.

There are subtle differences in the roundness/rear profiles of all Gibson necks in both '60s and '50s versions as they are hand finished but the fretboards should all be a standard 12" radius. Maybe it was the fact that the '60s neck is thinner in rear profile that made it feel flatter at the front. Ibanez necks are super thin and narrow and have a 14" fretboard radius so are better for 'thumb behind, fingers straight' shredding rather than 'thumb hooked over, fingers curled' bending playing styles.

Alan

Interesting.

There are subtle differences in the roundness/rear profiles of all Gibson necks in both '60s and '50s versions as they are hand finished but the fretboards should all be a standard 12" radius. Maybe it was the fact that the '60s neck is thinner in rear profile that made it feel flatter at the front. Ibanez necks are super thin and narrow and have a 14" fretboard radius so are better for 'thumb behind, fingers straight' shredding rather than 'thumb hooked over, fingers curled' bending playing styles.

Alan

You're probably right on the thinner rear profile making the board feel flatter. My Sunrise Orange Platinum SG has the baseball bat neck and that's what I have grown to love.

I'd save a few hundred dollars more and buy a Standard. You're getting a better guitar.

I think you weren't paying attention: he said he couldn't go a penny over $800. And also wanted P90s.

Or were you just trying to make a point? (I'm guessing you have a Standard, right?)

• 3 weeks later...

Ohh crappers, Gibson has a Standard SG with P-90s now and I bought the faded. =(

I could return the faded P-90 SG and save for the standard. Oh the decisions! :unsure:

Still, $800 bucks is a lot for me and its a great deal for that instrument.

At least it is a Gibson and not an Epiphone, No offense to epiphone.

I'm just saying, I may not have Custom Les Paul or Standard SG, but my Studio LP and Faded SG work perfectly for me.

I prefer the actual name "Gibson" than "Epiphone" personally.

I'm not sure what the price on the Standard P-90 will be, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was on par with the regular Standard.

Tough choice to make. Is there a GC near you that you can go and play a few SGs? Hard to buy on the internet without first knowing which model you want to get. I suspect that you won't go wrong buying either, but I vote for the 60s tribute.

• 9 months later...

Archived