Gibson Brands Forums

guitar case

blindboygrunt

need help again guys , spending xmas bonus on my j45. have new machine heads and tusq pins winging their way to me as we speak

but i have seen a case that i would like it to live in

the dimensions are ;

Max internal dimensions (H x W x D) 1070 x 430 x 140mm

External dimensions (H x W x D) 1100 x 460 x 170mm

Weight 3.9kg

i measure my guitar as 1040 long ,410 t widest part of body and 120 tall (not including back curve and bridge/saddle)

will it fit ?

thanks

need help again guys , spending xmas bonus on my j45. have new machine heads and tusq pins winging their way to me as we speak

the dimensions are ;

Weight 3.9kg

i measure my guitar as 1040 long ,410 t widest part of body and 120 tall (not including back curve and bridge/saddle)

will it fit ?

thanks

:-k Sounds like the case is a bit on the too-big side. You may not want the guitar to be able to flop around inside the case that much. When I measure my foam-lined cases they are the same dimensions as the instrument, or maybe even a tad smaller (with the exception of length, of course).

Happy New Year

B)

J/W

the dimensions are ;

Weight 3.9kg

will it fit ?

thanks

What case is this?

the dimensions are ;

Weight 3.9kg

will it fit ?

thanks

"Fitting in" and "fitting right" are two different things. A case needs to support and cradle the guitar properly, securing it against movement as well as providing the obvious protection. I spent a long time and a lot of money to find a proper-fitting case for my J-45. The stock J-45 case from Gibson fits the guitar extremely well, supports it properly, and provides a reasonable level of protection, even if some of the details are fairly cheap-looking. It's a good solution for not too much money: about $150 from MF or other online retailers. That's about what it is worth.

Other dread-size cases may fit the guitar, but it is likely that the interior padding will be contoured to a more "universal" fit for a variety of similar guitar shapes. To find a good fit in a "non-J45" case, you have to consider the body depth, height offset from the back to the neck supports, lower bout width, waist width, upper bout width, etc.

I don't know what they case is you that are looking at, but it is extremely light compared to a conventional plywood-framed hard case. For example, the standard J-45 case from Gibson weighs 4.9 kg. What exactly is it? Carbon fiber?

+1 for the Gator suggestion. My Gator cases have given me many years of satisfaction and good protection. [That having been said, I try to stick with the manufacturer's original cases whenever I can for the reasons stated by j45nick.]

J/W

[thumbup]

You can buy a new Gibson J-45 case from Guitar Center: My link

Actually, GC usually only does this as a special order, as they do not normally stock "spare" cases. Their website usually shows the J-45 case as "in-stock", but when you go to the store, they won't sell it to you. Apparently the case has a separate SKU, but it is still linked to the guitars they have in stock.

I ordered one from MF, and it took six months before it finally came. It seems to be on perpetual back-order.

thanks guys . i have a gibson case , i just thought this one was a bit unusual and cool . i dont fly round the world with guitar. just goes in my car in and outta gigs and house

maybe you're all right though

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=230701580943&index=0&nav=SEARCH&nid=39781429852

Aside from the color, that sounds precariously like the old chipboard cases that used to be the low-priced option with lower-tier Gibsons like the J-45. I think you might be better off sticking with your "real" case, unless you have the chance to look at this one in the flesh before buying. The primary role of any case is to protect the guitar.

Archived